• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dusty Heaters

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dreary and drizzly today, but at least the rain cut the heat. Wore something conversative to match the mood. Well, conservative for me anyway.

IMG_8989.JPG

IMG_8847.JPG

IMG_9009.JPG

•Sartoria Formosa Blazer in Caccioppoli Hopsack
•Passaggio Cravatte Tie
•Rampley & Co Square
•G. Inglese MTO/MTM Shirt
•Rota High Twist Trousers
•Gaziano & Girling MTO Chestnut Kudu Arran's

Hal Freeman

Reaction score
I am always inspired by @upr_crust and his ability to refresh and update older pieces in his wardrobe to great effect.

Yesterday I wore this five year-old suit, just back from having some minor alterations aimed at slimming it a little. The 2008 shoes are on their second outing since coming back from the Loake factory after a refurbishment. I am especially pleased with the latter work. The PS dates from around 1988.

View attachment 832063

View attachment 832064

Suit - Jasper Conran
Shirt - Harvie & Hudson
Tie - from the Prince's Trust Tomorrow's store
PS - Tie Rack
Socks - Filo Scozia OTC
Shoes - Loake Kew

Bored, so I dressed like Theodore from Her, played by Joaquin Phoenix.
jBR6oPL.jpg

btdlROc.jpg

wrfU7E2.jpg

H&M shirt (that I cut the collar off of), French Linen blazer style chore coat, 1960's trousers (thrifted), and AE beefrolls (thrifted)

@Mr Knightley, very nice! Is that a one button jacket? Interesting suit.

@Roy Al, home renovations sir? I love that you have a good sense of humour.

@SprezzaTrash wonderful rendition! Never would thought that such a loud red could work. What is your advice on thrifting shoes?

@Yaumegui double image? Wonderful suit though. Love the no lapel waistcoat.

Hal

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree, then I'm not ideal a person.
Any suggestions? About the shirt, tie & PS combo, I mean...

You're style is quirky like mine. The first thing I would do is get rid of the pocket square.

20170405176.jpg

I like everything here except for the pocket square.

SprezzaTrash

Reaction score
@SprezzaTrash wonderful rendition! Never would thought that such a loud red could work. What is your advice on thrifting shoes?

Hal[/QUOTE]

I would personally recommend against it unless you know shoes well and are willing to spend a bit to get them recrafted or resoled. I've only done it twice and they're good beater shoes!

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
:foo::-D
Bored, so I dressed like Theodore from Her, played by Joaquin Phoenix.
jBR6oPL.jpg

btdlROc.jpg

wrfU7E2.jpg

H&M shirt (that I cut the collar off of), French Linen blazer style chore coat, 1960's trousers (thrifted), and AE beefrolls (thrifted)

You've got your own style Sprezza and sometimes it works well. The vintage aesthetic is definitely a one man rebellion against the skin tight low rise look of the moment, but if your rise creeps much higher you won't need a shirt!:-D

Also I have no idea your height but I'd guess at less than average. If you're OK with that - rock on, :foo:but high rise trousers do not help to create the illusion of height if that's what you're aiming for.

SprezzaTrash

Reaction score
:foo::-D

You've got your own style Sprezza and sometimes it works well. The vintage aesthetic is definitely a one man rebellion against the skin tight low rise look of the moment, but if your rise creeps much higher you won't need a shirt!:-D

Also I have no idea your height but I'd guess at less than average. If you're OK with that - rock on, :foo:but high rise trousers do not help to create the illusion of height if that's what you're aiming for.

These are absurdly high because these were huge trousers that I took in at the tailor. Often times large waists means a higher rise! You can see previous posts of mine that have a more "normal" high rise.

I don't really wear any vintage aesthetic to improve visual physicality, but its just what I'm comfortable with! I tend to wear all my trousers at my navel. Anything lower feels odd! It has nothing to do with elongating my legs

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Hal Freeman thanks for the comments. Yes, one button jacket. Some English makers have traditionally favoured this style. Regrettably a lot of Jasper Conran's stuff today has deteriorated both in terms of cut and quality.
Perhaps this picture shows the jacket cut a little better:

J1 office.jpg

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads