• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today:

Loretta cashmere sweater
Woolovers cotton cashmere vest
BB Gatsby shirt
Luciano Barbera tie
Banana cotton twills
BB brown suede chukkas.

ShawnBC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
EFV, looks like your grand-father's tailcoat was made specifically for you!

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Isolation

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Friends, not to seem ungrateful for previous criticism, I want to note that I will be sending my trousers and jacket to be altered soon pending the freedom to do so. In the meantime, however I feel like it would be very unfair to my clothes that I don't give them any wear at all before the season ends, so here they are once again donned.

Trousers will be widened by about 2.5 inches (already have new fit made, and will ask tailor to alter it based on that). Jacket, not sure what I'll do, I'm going to have to take it to the tailor, and that won't be a while due to work and travel. I noted that the jacket sleeves are quite wrinkled, though I did have this picture taken after being out for 24+ hours, so that might factor in a little bit, and I think the lighter shade makes the wrinkles show more. The thing is the sleeves don't look overly narrow to me, but it's not like the fabric is overly light or anything, so I can only assume it's too tight? It feels comfortable wearing it, for what it's worth.

In any case, I'm curious if the tie works with the color combination as I don't wear ties very often and I am only just starting to do so more often. (I assume the PS is alright, it echoes the blue a bit but I think the yellow makes it distinct enough that it's not too matchy matchy, but I'd appreciate opinions otherwise as well.)

Last edited:

pravda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@isolation that's one of my favorite fits. I like the tie combo; everything. Other than having the tailor relax the top button on the jacket, looks fine to me after a little ironing on the jacket/pants or simply pull down the sleeves and flatten out the wrinkles where it looks like you've been sitting down. I actually like the pants as they are. You have a nice athletic build and this fit shows it off well. The shirt fits nicely around your neck and the cuff shoe proportions are on point.

EFV

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

:bounce2:

Last edited:

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There's just far too much going on here. With that jacket, I'd go with very simple other accessories: light blue shirt, brown tie. Maybe not wear a pocket square.
Friends, not to seem ungrateful for previous criticism, I want to note that I will be sending my trousers and jacket to be altered soon pending the freedom to do so. In the meantime, however I feel like it would be very unfair to my clothes that I don't give them any wear at all before the season ends, so here they are once again donned.
Trousers will be widened by about 2.5 inches (already have new fit made, and will ask tailor to alter it based on that). Jacket, not sure what I'll do, I'm going to have to take it to the tailor, and that won't be a while due to work and travel. I noted that the jacket sleeves are quite wrinkled, though I did have this picture taken after being out for 24+ hours, so that might factor in a little bit, and I think the lighter shade makes the wrinkles show more. The thing is the sleeves don't look overly narrow to me, but it's not like the fabric is overly light or anything, so I can only assume it's too tight? It feels comfortable wearing it, for what it's worth. In any case, I'm curious if the tie works with the color combination as I don't wear ties very often and I am only just starting to do so more often. (I assume the PS is alright, it echoes the blue a bit but I think the yellow makes it distinct enough that it's not too matchy matchy, but I'd appreciate opinions otherwise as well.)
I don't think the trousers look too big. 2.5 inches wider is quite a lot, too much if you ask me. Sorry if this complicates things more. :lol: Jacket sleeves look okay/maybe a tad wider would be good. But not much. I'd definitely dial down the waist suppression, like this it makes you look very thin. On the next jacket, I'd go for slightly wider lapels, less waist suppression and maybe a bit wider arms. Most men want to look slimmer then they are, in your case I think a bit fuller would be better. I'm in the same boat; it's easiest if you find a tailor that understands this and cuts the right jacket for you.

Isolation

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if I'm describing it wrong, the trouser leg is 1~ inch wider when laid out so I said 2, is that right? Maybe it's not that much but it looks not too wide when I wear it I'll check them when I'm back.

Thanks for your comments. I'm glad to say I'm planning basically all those changes. I definitely am going for larger lapels now maybr even tending on the larger side as I like a slightly dramatic touch. I'm getting them 3.5inch for notch and 3.75 for peak. Also asking tailor to give it a bit more of a concave shape to the notch lapels.

Last edited:

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most men want to look slimmer then they are, in your case I think a bit fuller would be better. I'm in the same boat; it's easiest if you find a tailor that understands this and cuts the right jacket for you.
This is my boat as well, though I'm buying OTR so of course it's a balancing act.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads