• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

McBindle

Reaction score
Quote:
Beautiful tie and horn (?) buttons. Nice cloth - what is it? I would have liked to see the whole fit, is it a suit?

McBindle

Reaction score

smile.gif

I really like the creativity with pattern and texture on this one. The p-square pattern is completely unexpected but appropriate. Textural contrasts are well done and the soft collar points (I am assuming there are no stays) bring suit cloth and square together. Judging from the lift of the collar portion of your right lapel the cloth looks very light weight. Is this right? What is it?
The past few weeks have shown the appropriateness of the knit tie for a casual touch in the summer. Chalk another one up to Team Knit!

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments and thumbs.

McBindle, the suit fabric is a pretty open weave which makes it good for San Francisco summers, but the texture allows me to wear this in the fall and winter as well. I'm not sure what the fabric is because it's a RTW suit and it just says Super 120.

Ebonyman

Reaction score

Yes, lol. Where did you get it? Not to be rude but it looks like a Banana Republic tie, or something. And if it's something like Drakes, they still make some bad ties.

Smith & Rutherford. Seriously heavy silk tie and far and away better than anything BR will ever offer. It may not be pretty but it ain't cheap! :satisfied:

agp

Reaction score
Sorry I was at work all day.

Back on the topic of my comically large knot - it was a windsor tied poorly, it was not intended to be that big.

I'm not a fan of 4 in 1 hand because it's too asymmetrical. I like symmetry and formality in knots.

So half windsor it is? Can anyone show me a picture of a "properly-tied" one?

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

hows this for egomaniacal. here are a few of mine....

LL

LL

Last edited:

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yes, but Harvey would never do that-- and that's all that really matters, isn't it? haha
Some googling has led me to conclude that--surprise surprise--I have no idea what I'm talking about. But this guy has both buttons fastened on a two button suit.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There are too many variables...different ties will look a bit different.

McBindle

Reaction score
Thanks for the positive critiques of yesterday's fit, guys. Lots to learn here. Biggest challenge I am facing is fit of trousers and shirts. Gained weight in grad school, bought some clothes, then lost way more than expected ("world's smallest violin plays"). Result = cinched up trousers and roomy collars all around.

Here is today's fit. No client meetings so went casual: cotton/linen blend unstructured jacket, raw silk square, loafers and the last of the knit ties for a while. Weird pulling at the waist on this jacket. I've got quite a dropped right shoulder which might be throwing off the balance but not sure.
Note: cat is not gearing up to spray my fit. Forum members may disagree with his decision.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I generally will tie a half windsor half the time. It depends on the tie. Thicker ties, grenadines, knits, etc get FIH; most everything else gets a half windsor.

Also, perhaps the guy from Suits was wearing a paddock style jacket?

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
clags, your HW looks more wide and evenly triangular than mine. i wonder why that is. i think we are close to the same height. i wonder what the technique difference is.

clapeyron

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
@clags: JFK wasn't wearing a paddock jacket he was merely buttoning both buttons on his two button jacket to hide his back brace. You can tell it's not a paddock jacket because the pockets are on the same level as the lower button.

Regarding Full Windsor knots: Symmetrie ist die Ästhetik des einfachen Menschen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads