1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

[​IMG]

SF Family:
    Conrad Wu (tie)
    Vanda (square)
    Howard Yount (pants)
    Meermin (shoes)

33 people like this.
  2. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

Clags excellent combination :slayer:

PS sings too :nodding:

3 people like this.
  3. Claghorn

Vanda Square says thank you and wants to know if you have plans on Friday.

Well, we can't tell anything about fit other than the jacket isn't too short. It's a good outfit on the whole, but nothing about it really stands out amongst the other good outfits (other than perhaps the photo quality). This isn't a bad thing--it means you're well dressed, as you probably already know--but generally unless an outfit is both good and has something about it which stands out, don't expect any comments (of course, if an outfit is bad...)

In this case, it's a navy jacket, gray pants, and brown shoes combination. If done right, there shouldn't be anything to comment on. And it's done right there.

Last edited: May 13, 2014
    3 people like this.
  4. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

It's scary how similar our builds must be! Glad to see you putting it to very good use. Wear it in good health!

It actually looks a bit more proportional on you than it did on me, esp. in terms of where the button falls and how the lapels look as a result.

1 person likes this.
  5. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

You talking Friday Challenge or out on the town, sweetheart?

SRS, I'm away golfing now till Saturday as well as at the races, Newmarket on Thursday evening. Pics will follow for FC though suspect I won't have a cerise wall!

PS Only seems like an hour ago you wished everyone good night, Thatcher like?

1 person likes this.
  6. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

So then what do you guys do to "fix" your iPhone into place? Is there some kind of adaptor/bracket which attaches an iPhone to a standard camera tripod?

7. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

Punch them in the coin purse.

:eh:

Hell yes we are!

My man!

---

Superb PS exection, Clags.

3 people like this.
  8. Tirailleur1

Tirailleur1 Senior member Dubiously Honored

9. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

Clip-on suspenders: Haters gonna hate

Belt loops: The expense involved in having them removed is much greater than whatever issue some might have with them

Half-windsor: If you don't like, you ain't doin' it right

Pink walls: Sometimes they fuck up your white balance and make your floor look pink (and why's it always gotta be the *white* balance?)

5 people like this.
  10. Tirailleur1

Tirailleur1 Senior member Dubiously Honored

nah that is for the instgram feels.

1 person likes this.
  11. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

Not pretending I have the keys to the Book of Rules here, but as most men's style rules can be derived to some extent from first principles, and leaning a little on Wikipedia, here goes:

Although belts have been around forever, they only regained currency in Western dress around the 1920s. Before that, their use was largely confined to military uniform (and in the distant past, they were employed to hold a scabbard at the waist). In the 1800s, pents were cut high and belts were therefore impractical. Suspender buttons were sewn to the outside of the pents.

After the 1920s, suspenders gradually lost traction (to coin a phrase), and belts were "in", which of course meant that belt loops became a staple part of pents; if suspender buttons were fitted at all, they were affixed to the inside. I'm not sure when suspenders with clips first appeared, but it would make sense that it was around the time that pents with belt loops and without suspender buttons became common.

Another point to make here is that pents intended for use with suspenders should be cut a little looser than those intended for belting.

Given all the above, it would seem logical that pents should either have belt loops, or have suspender buttons, but not both. It would also be logical that suspenders should never be attached to pents with belt loops - in which case, there is no rationale for the existence of clip suspenders.

However, we should ask ourselves which is the worse sin: trousers intended for use both with belts and with suspenders, or clipping suspenders to trousers with belt loops. I would argue that the former is worse, because it necessitates a compromise in tailoring, with the resultant garment being neither fish nor fowl. The latter option is simply a matter of practicality: it enables a wider choice of outfits from fewer garments hanging in the wardrobe. Thus, clip suspenders can be seen as a valid middle-class solution to a problem which appeared in the 1920s and 30s, as fashions swung away from high-cut waistlines toward the type of trouser we see almost universally today.

I therefore conclude that, from first principles, clipped suspenders are a valid and historically-grounded style choice; however, they should only be worn with pents which have belt loops, as sported by @ammanati in his excellent fit above.

3 people like this.
  12. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

I don't think I've ever posted a true SF Uniform before, so here it goes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(Apologies for the horrible collar gap, caused by bending my head down and pulling my right shoulder back at the same time.)

Last edited: May 17, 2014
    37 people like this.
  13. in stitches

Supreme uniform execution.

I think we always knew that big T likes it in the pink.

2 people like this.
  14. Sotiris

Sotiris Senior member

@in stitches Quick and terrible quality. Won't be a regular thing.

Don't mind the shirt sleeves. Or the pose. Or the lighting. Or the extra 5 10 lbs.

[​IMG]

Oh and stitchy?
    :fu:

4 people like this.
  15. Sotiris

Sotiris Senior member

16. in stitches

make this a regular thing along with your other pics. the others get the color better but this shows the fit and it is spectacular. trust.

17. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Aloha. Early morning meeting, followed by a day full of frivolity punctuated by frantic checks to the blackberry, followed by late evening calls with people on the other side of the globe. [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] H. Freeman custom Borrelli RLPL Zegna Trafalgar Incotex Pantherella TBNY

11 people like this.
  18. An Acute Style

An Acute Style Senior member

I wore a hat today. It's seersucker.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10 people like this.
  19. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

I am all ears. Is this a good combo? Good fit? If not a good combo, what would work well with this jacket (suit).
    Thank you in advance for feedbacks.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  20. Claghorn

It's an interesting look, I'll give you that. And it won't get much love. But it is a pretty nifty low contrast look. I like the jacket with that tie. But the shirt and tie are too matchy.

It's a gray suit. Do you have any navy ties left?

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.