• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

rudals1281

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Second look is much, much better... if the suit was the charcoal grey it appears to be in the photo. I'm guessing from your prior posts that it's actually navy, in which case I'm less keen, unless it's an extremely dark navy (verging on black), in which case it's good.

Are you folding silk squares? It looks like it. Don't. Use linen/cotton if you want to fold, or puff if it's silk. Some silk blends may (may!) be able to take a fold; most cannot.
That suit actually is blue...the lighting made distorted its color. I am wearing it today with a dark navy suit so it is good. Yes, I don't know why I still stick with silk. I've switched to TV fold but still, I'll try linen. Wow, no love for sky blue ties here LOL

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Great summer look, HF. Nice use of a seersucker odd jacket, and impressive fit - is it one of your E&R's?

Thanks! The fit of the jacket isn't actually that great but for a casual jacket like seersucker, it's tolerable. Ideally, it'd be a bit narrower across the chest and ever so slightly shorter. But it is what it is. Which, since you asked, is RTW Ralph Lauren Polo. :)

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, then I think I have tried on that very same jacket model. Unfortunately it was only available in regular length and the 42R was waaaay too long. Very nice silhouette though, and I think the extra chest room is nicely distributed, it doesn't look ill-fitting on you.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Oh, then I think I have tried on that very same jacket model. Unfortunately it was only available in regular length and the 42R was waaaay too long. Very nice silhouette though, and I think the extra chest room is nicely distributed, it doesn't look ill-fitting on you.

Thank you; that's why I still keep it! It's an unusual size (37S) and was a much better fit when I first bought it years ago (I'm a 36S these days). I was lucky and found it in an outlet, going for a song, so couldn't resist. I never thought I'd wear it more than once or twice ever, but once you get over the fact you're wearing seersucker in England, it's versatile enough to trot out several times or more a year. Of course, I hardly need to sing seersucker's praises to you of all people!
smile.gif

BTW, thanks for all the thumbs-ups in such a short space of time; much appreciated!

Last edited:

McBindle

Reaction score
Colours & patterns are good; in fact, I'd say really good. Which makes the jacket fit disappointing (loose+low collar) by comparison, as this could have been a great overall look. Trouser fit is also a bit off, but less noticeably so.
Thank you, so I am getting half way there! The critique on collar fit is helpful, I see what you mean now. I think I got the shoulder width right but something needs to be done about the collar. Any suggestions to tell my tailor? My shirt collar should probably be .5" less also. And yes, the trousers seem to flair from knee up (like a subtle jodhpur). I can't seem to get a smooth line from bottom of rise to knee. I have to get my trousers on point, a lot of sad fits in that department!

Ebonyman

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback Mr. Daniels! I felt the need to make up for yesterday's poor showing.

Last edited:

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Tie doesn't work IMO; it's the wrong shade of blue. Either go much darker blue, or go for a different colour (maybe dark brown, given the other colours in the look?).

I usually just point out any areas I don't like to my tailor and they start pinning/marking things. Actually, they usually spot the problems before I point them out. So I can't really say what needs to be done or whether it can be fixed. But take the jacket to a decent tailor and they'll notice it for themselves and make their own recommendations (even if to say it can't be fixed). While I'm always interested in learning how they fix things, I don't like telling them how to fix them. Largely because I don't know how.
biggrin.gif

Last edited:

McBindle

Reaction score
Doing the "security guard" look, with a slight professorial tinge to it.

Blazer, shirt, trousers, tie - BB
PS - Alain Figaret
Shoes - Magnanni for Bergdorf Goodman

upr_crust - These shoes are fantastic. A relaxed take on the security guard motif. Some may have an issue with the white shirt but I think it is consistent with your overall style. The bow tie does a good job of framing your face and compliments the casual vibe created by the shoes.

Claghorn - These two fits look very comfortable. The second is a nice iteration of the blue odd jacket. The second fit also has nice balance of grey and blue tone - neither is oversaturated compared to the other. My favorite characteristic of these two is the roll on lapels and the figure eight of lapel and quarters on the grey suit.

Not what I wore today--nowhere near tweed weather even if I am mostly just carrying around my jacket--but I just got this from the tailor and I'm finally perfectly happy with the pattern. Buttoning point high but not too high (by my standards). Not too much waist suppression. I barely gave them enough fabric to work with, but overall, I'm damned pleased.

Claghorn - These two fits look very comfortable. The second is a nice iteration of the blue odd jacket. The second fit also has nice balance of grey and blue tone - neither is oversaturated compared to the other. My favorite characteristic of these two is the roll on lapels and the figure eight of lapel and quarters on the grey suit.
Still summer in Stockholm. New cotton suit and shirt. The PS is also new (cheers Malford!!). Oh, new shoes and socks as well.

EFV - Very nice! Are those patch pockets? Height of collar is well done and the spread of shirt collar to lapel and the harmony to the notch height is nice. I'm with mrjester on the square (maybe something with a powder blue in it?) but still works.
First day of school

12486529-D587-4399-9F3D-26902B98920D-299-0000001EA62F7C00_zps4f289a29.jpg

054E75D2-9B9B-4962-A8C0-86743261AF3D-299-0000001EABFA46C0_zpsa0b4aac5.jpg

Murlsquirl - You made a good call on the plain toe derbys. More embellishment may have overwhelmed the overall excellent pattern play. The shirt is really bold so a bold shoe would have been too much for the eye to focus on.

EFV

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

That's ******* excellent.

Agreed. Wow.

Cheers men!

Don't care for the PS, but I like everything else.

You don't like it at all or just in this context? I like it, but can agree that it would perhaps work better with something else.

EFV, well done - and you keep your lawn so well manicured ;)

lol, cheers!

Fantastic!! you look different E...new haircut?

Thanks man!
Indeedo, I found a barber that actually listened to my instructions.

Wow! Very Mastroianni! I love it! Who made the suit?

Cheers, that quite the compliment! Suit is from Luigi Bianchi.

Cotton suits are one of those items I hate wearing myself, but can love the look on others. This looks great.

Thank you HF! I have the same notion about certain items that look really awesome imho, but not on me (e.g. penny loafers, fedoras etc etc)

EFV - Very nice! Are those patch pockets? Height of collar is well done and the spread of shirt collar to lapel and the harmony to the notch height is nice. I'm with mrjester on the square (maybe something with a powder blue in it?) but still works.

Thank you! Yep, patch pockets. As i started thinking about it I think something that caught more of the colours in the rest of the fit would have worked better. This square will be worn with more monochrome (grey-ish) fits in the future. I just felt like wearing that PS today though (the danger of new acquisitions, you wanna wear them with everything).

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
diaz and EFV, CRUSHING IT!!!!

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You don't like it at all or just in this context? I like it, but can agree that it would perhaps work better with something else.

I don't think I like it at all. It looks like chocolate swirl cheesecake to me. I guess I just think if you're going ot go with a white PS it should be plain white, or perhaps bordered.

EFV

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I don't think I like it at all. It looks like chocolate swirl cheesecake to me. I guess I just think if you're going ot go with a white PS it should be plain white, or perhaps bordered.

Chocolate swirl cheesecake sounds like an awesome PS to me :D. It's mainly white with black edges and patterns (bicycles). I never really show the edges of silk pocketsquares since I always fold them in a puff or the :foo: fold.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads