1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The_Foxx

The_Foxx Senior member

Clags--
    Please consider buying this suit from your friends at B&Tailor-- look at dat small, high armhole and very soft shoulder!!
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

I like the tie, but it seems a bit too casual compared to the rest, don't you think?

3. kayhill

kayhill Senior member

Personally I think that jacket is casual enough (3 patch pockets, quite a strong blue colour and quite textured) to be worn with a bright knit.

4. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

The two I have being made at the moment have a slightly higher armhole than my first from them, but I don't know about that high. The guy that's for must be a skeleton.

Perhaps, but I didn't feel that way walking around with it. The jacket has MoP buttons, three patch pockets, and is a wool-cashmere blend.

5. Braddock

Braddock Senior member

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  6. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

I meant not only the jacket, but shirt and trousers as well: shirt with wide spread collar and such a smooth fabric feels out of place to me. When I see that tie I'm thinking unstructured cotton jacket, chinos and probably a BD shirt. But, as a fellow SF member always adds, YMMV.

Last edited: May 11, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  7. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Claghorn don't button down. Claghorn don't wear chinos.
    [​IMG]

(If that leads to some discordance occasionally, so be it. Walking in with eyes open)

3 people like this.
  8. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

My, it’s getting hard to find the real threads on SF with all the spam.

I just wanted to add that there’s at least one important exception to the principle that the odd jacket is better if textured, and that’s the traditional navy blazer. Whether double or single breasted, in one of its most classic forms it’s made of worsted wool. There have been many beautiful examples of both in this thread, worn by some of its best-dressed contributors.

“Blue worsted serge is regarded by experts as the original classic fabric for the navy-blue blazer, and some people insist on it.” — Roetzel, Dressing the Man, p. 146.

These days a blazer can be textured, of course, but it doesn’t have to be, and if textured it’s less dressy; the worsted blazer is one of the dressiest of odd jackets which is what has made it so useful in its particular niche: occasions where a suit would be too formal and a textured or patterned jacket too casual.

In any case, most people would say that it needs metal buttons to be a blazer and not some other kind of odd jacket.

Cheers,

Ac

1 person likes this.
  9. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

Stiva - Id say that is clearly a SC.
    its paired very well, but perhaps you should leave it in the water when you get out? :(
    just looking at that pic made my armpits hurt.
    Thats a shame. I could not imagine a wardrobe without BD collar shirts. I rarely wear them with ties, but they are essential for my non tie days.

10. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

To me the issue with odd jackets is not necessarily whether they are "loud" enough, but rather whether they are clearly distinguishable as odd jackets and will not be mistaken for orphaned suit jackets. The jacket in question definitely fits the bill as would nearly any tweed (including some Donegals and herringbone patterns that are not particularly loud). Generally a bold or loud fabric is less likely to be mistaken as an orphaned suit jacket and less likely to work as a suit (there are some bold patterned fabrics that can be made into a suit as well but that also work as odd jackets).

You may run into an issue with some more subtle patterns that look more like suiting fabrics than odd jacket fabrics, but you don't have that issue with the jacket you posted. Of course it can be better to ask when in doubt.

1 person likes this.
  11. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

2 people like this.
  12. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

^ I buy an OCBD every so often to see if I'll like it. I keep finding out that I significantly prefer spread collars, even with tie-less outfits.

2 people like this.
  13. kulata

kulata Senior member

Today's fit

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

37 people like this.
  14. ianGP

ianGP Senior member

@kulata Deets on errythang!

Love the shoulders on these! I'm not sure how to describe this to my tailor either... his english isn't bad, it's mostly how I convey it.
    Our conversations are a mix of pics and words.

2 people like this.
  15. in stitches

Nice. Especially the shoes.

---

BD COLLARS 4 LIEF

1 person likes this.
  16. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

@kulata, that is just perfect. The suit, the tie, I even like the wholecuts here, which I usually don't.

1 person likes this.
  17. kulata

kulata Senior member

Thanks man. The suit is custom and I chose the soft shoulder option which is slightly structured and with a little bit of shirring. Shirt is a Luxire copy of my Mazzarelli with some modifications and shoes are Fratelli Peluso.

Thanks man but Spread Collars Rulez

Thanks man

18. in stitches

Spread collars are my go to with a tie. And they do rule.

But I still need my BD collars for my casual days. Couldnt go without em.

19. jungleroller

jungleroller Senior member

Definitley killing it Kulata! I love the texture on that suit as well! :slayer:

1 person likes this.
  20. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

The discordance here is that some blades point up and some down.

In a traditional knife cape they should point down during the day and up at night, of course.

I thought everyone knew this.

6 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.