HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

Meh, a lot of SF'ers talk a big game, I would guess half of us are closet alcoholics who drink windsor canadian whiskey, then take pictures with JW Blue for teh forums ;) (kidding of course)

I do not consider my tastes refined enough to appreciate fine alcohol. I am slowly learning about various red wines at the moment, and hope to start drinking scotch soon and to learn more about scotch in general :)

2. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

dude, I was HEAVILY into bourbon for a long time....pappy van winkle is gods gift to us. :D:D As much as a SMS and bourbon snob i am, I still love me some JD. Jack is perfect for a wild night of getting shitfaced.

3. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

when you get into scotch, shoot me a PM. single malt is one of my fortes. ;)

and JW Blue is what people with too much money and no knowledge of scotch drink. :lol::lol: Its good, but not $300/bottle good.

4. NORE

NORE Senior member

I'm just going to throw this out there and not quote anyone to avoid potential conflict because that's not my aim. Yes this site is centered around dress, yes many people have found this site searching for answers to questions relating to the same. But there are many takes on dress and what one is capable of pulling off.

Yes, there are basics to be learned. I get that. But there also exists an envelope that can be pushed. Can everyone do it? No. Should people interested in dress at least know the basics first? Probably.

When I was younger I used to go to these summer workshops in one of the local public schools which offered arts & crafts. Now, anyone who knows me knows I can draw & paint. I've had paintings sell before I was 13. But in these workshops, when comic books were all the rage, we wanted to learn how to draw them so realistically.

I realized there were basics to learn, starting with an oval for the head, rectangles for the torso and legs, etc. But that took too long.

I was good at just free-handing it and making it look great. To compound that, I was so impatient/impetuous that I would often begin coloring my characters before the scene was complete. I wanted to skip right to the gratification of a finished work.

My mother oft pulls out pieces that I've done and dated when I visit and they still amaze me. We used to make replica Matchbox cars from the thin cardboard insert that came with her pantyhose. Great times.

Point is, some can pick items out that catch their eye without thinking, "what can I wear this with", and upon arriving home, find out it works well with what they already have. Some, when buying a shirt, hold the shirt in hand and look for a matching tie. Some take it a step further.

Some have it, some don't. For some, things can be learned, for others some things will never be learned.

For those of the unfortunate group, no amount of critique will assist their search. Others just stop posting fits. Still others just stop posting.

Make sense?

5. freedom_fries

freedom_fries Senior member

i would recommend finding someone who knows their scotch and getting them to organize a tasting for you by region.

man, i love whiskey tastings.

6. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

haha. i agree...I shouldve been more clear...everyone would definitely benefit from going bespoke...but I think when you can get pretty damn close to perfect without the premium of going bespoke, then (again this is personal opinion) the extra money wouldnt be worth it.

keep in mind my limited experience and novice eye though. Perhaps in time Ill have a better eye and see numerous flaws...but thats just my 2 centavos today.

7. mktitsworth

mktitsworth Senior member

PMd, and totally agree WRT JW-Blue.

8. XKxRome0ox

XKxRome0ox Senior member

jack daniels > johnnie walker blue

just personal preference

9. freedom_fries

freedom_fries Senior member

i was on a 13 hour flight with a coworker and were bumped into coach when we had to be rebooked. we found out that drinks cost 7 dollars (!!!!) apiece, so instead we bought a bottle of blue label from the duty free and emptied it during the flight. it was more like 160 though - completely worth it.

10. mktitsworth

mktitsworth Senior member

Are we talking No.7, Gentleman, or Single Barrel? Gentleman maybe. Single Barrel definitely.

11. Mr.P

Mr.P Senior member

I'm afraid I missed the preceding discussion. No matter. It is clear that two facts have been sufficiently established for you to derive a logical conclusion (a third fact, indeed) from their juxtaposition. A sound move, certainly, perhaps slightly lacking in formal validity. This depends, of course, on the content of said facts and the gaudiness of their pick stitching.

Did I see this evening from the corner of my little eye a suited man in a [honey]badger mask rummaging through my StyleForvm comic book collection? (I did not, I must admit, however sceptically, witness such a spectacle--how I misinterpret the signs and symbols that manifest themselves in drink!)

On an aside: I have received a ForvmGram from Moscow. A certain non-judo-practicing Russian used his one hand* to significantly disfigure a certain black-belted-judo-practicing Russian, and is consequently running for President. He must have our support.

*EDIT: That is, one of his hands. The other was wielding the silver handle of a bespoke (> MTM > OTR) umbrella.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  12. Louis XIV

Louis XIV Senior member

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  13. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

at 160-180, def worth it imho but i'm no expert

14. teddieriley

teddieriley Senior member

In the sense that you formed complete sentences and communicated a thought. But what's your point?

15. XKxRome0ox

XKxRome0ox Senior member

plain ol' no.7

i am just not a fan of johnnie walker
    don't like the taste of it
    i had a bunch of friends who loved JW black... so sometimes that was all that was available
    and one time someone bought a bottle of blue
    so of course i had to try it
    was not impressed
    it was just a smoother black

i'd rather drink jack than jw anything
    and i'd rather drink beer than anything else

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.