• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

As my name may or may not suggest I have a penchant for fire water. I'll let this slide as Jack has served me well in a pinch (a pinch some would call "college"), but do know there is far better. I figure I might as well drink the best if it's going to end up on my EGs at the end of the night...

Meh, a lot of SF'ers talk a big game, I would guess half of us are closet alcoholics who drink windsor canadian whiskey, then take pictures with JW Blue for teh forums ;) (kidding of course)

I do not consider my tastes refined enough to appreciate fine alcohol. I am slowly learning about various red wines at the moment, and hope to start drinking scotch soon and to learn more about scotch in general :)

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

As my name may or may not suggest I have a penchant for fire water. I'll let this slide as Jack has served me well in a pinch (a pinch some would call "college"), but do know there is far better. I figure I might as well drink the best if it's going to end up on my EGs at the end of the night...

dude, I was HEAVILY into bourbon for a long time....pappy van winkle is gods gift to us. :D:D As much as a SMS and bourbon snob i am, I still love me some JD. Jack is perfect for a wild night of getting shitfaced.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

Meh, a lot of SF'ers talk a big game, I would guess half of us are closet alcoholics who drink windsor canadian whiskey, then take pictures with JW Blue for teh forums ;) (kidding of course)
I do not consider my tastes refined enough to appreciate fine alcohol. I am slowly learning about various red wines at the moment, and hope to start drinking scotch soon and to learn more about scotch in general :)

when you get into scotch, shoot me a PM. single malt is one of my fortes. ;)

and JW Blue is what people with too much money and no knowledge of scotch drink. :lol::lol: Its good, but not $300/bottle good.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm just going to throw this out there and not quote anyone to avoid potential conflict because that's not my aim. Yes this site is centered around dress, yes many people have found this site searching for answers to questions relating to the same. But there are many takes on dress and what one is capable of pulling off.

Yes, there are basics to be learned. I get that. But there also exists an envelope that can be pushed. Can everyone do it? No. Should people interested in dress at least know the basics first? Probably.

When I was younger I used to go to these summer workshops in one of the local public schools which offered arts & crafts. Now, anyone who knows me knows I can draw & paint. I've had paintings sell before I was 13. But in these workshops, when comic books were all the rage, we wanted to learn how to draw them so realistically.

I realized there were basics to learn, starting with an oval for the head, rectangles for the torso and legs, etc. But that took too long.

I was good at just free-handing it and making it look great. To compound that, I was so impatient/impetuous that I would often begin coloring my characters before the scene was complete. I wanted to skip right to the gratification of a finished work.

My mother oft pulls out pieces that I've done and dated when I visit and they still amaze me. We used to make replica Matchbox cars from the thin cardboard insert that came with her pantyhose. Great times.

Point is, some can pick items out that catch their eye without thinking, "what can I wear this with", and upon arriving home, find out it works well with what they already have. Some, when buying a shirt, hold the shirt in hand and look for a matching tie. Some take it a step further.

Some have it, some don't. For some, things can be learned, for others some things will never be learned.

For those of the unfortunate group, no amount of critique will assist their search. Others just stop posting fits. Still others just stop posting.

Make sense?

freedom_fries

Reaction score

i would recommend finding someone who knows their scotch and getting them to organize a tasting for you by region.

man, i love whiskey tastings.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

with my comment, i meant basically that the subtle problems with spoo's fit as articulated by a number of the more experienced posters (and which to me as a man with decent taste and style but, alas, no formal experience with bespoke tailoring, seem rather trivial), can be solved through good bespoke tailoring, but not from MTM.
thus i disagree with your statement: everybody would benefit from "going bespoke", as it were. but MTM suits still use the same basic framework of a RTW suit.
someone like me, however, could probably benefit from MTM because i have a considerable drop, lean legs and long arms. i have to get all my suits altered by a tailor, and if i didn't have such a good one i probably would do more MTM.
also good thing you put that disclaimer in there, i otherwise would totally have thought you were flaming.

haha. i agree...I shouldve been more clear...everyone would definitely benefit from going bespoke...but I think when you can get pretty damn close to perfect without the premium of going bespoke, then (again this is personal opinion) the extra money wouldnt be worth it.

keep in mind my limited experience and novice eye though. Perhaps in time Ill have a better eye and see numerous flaws...but thats just my 2 centavos today.

mktitsworth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

and JW Blue is what people with too much money and no knowledge of scotch drink. :lol::lol: Its good, but not $300/bottle good.

PMd, and totally agree WRT JW-Blue.

XKxRome0ox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

jack daniels > johnnie walker blue

just personal preference

freedom_fries

Reaction score

i was on a 13 hour flight with a coworker and were bumped into coach when we had to be rebooked. we found out that drinks cost 7 dollars (!!!!) apiece, so instead we bought a bottle of blue label from the duty free and emptied it during the flight. it was more like 160 though - completely worth it.

Mr.P

Reaction score

no. fact 1 is established. fact 2 is also established. facts 1 and 2 are then combined to lead to fact 3. this becomes the proven problem.

I'm afraid I missed the preceding discussion. No matter. It is clear that two facts have been sufficiently established for you to derive a logical conclusion (a third fact, indeed) from their juxtaposition. A sound move, certainly, perhaps slightly lacking in formal validity. This depends, of course, on the content of said facts and the gaudiness of their pick stitching.

because the honeybadger doesnt give a **** about custom titles. therefor it would be insulting to a true honeybadger to have such a title and disingenuous to give the title to a non honey badger.
once again :teach:

Did I see this evening from the corner of my little eye a suited man in a [honey]badger mask rummaging through my StyleForvm comic book collection? (I did not, I must admit, however sceptically, witness such a spectacle--how I misinterpret the signs and symbols that manifest themselves in drink!)

On an aside: I have received a ForvmGram from Moscow. A certain non-judo-practicing Russian used his one hand* to significantly disfigure a certain black-belted-judo-practicing Russian, and is consequently running for President. He must have our support.

*EDIT: That is, one of his hands. The other was wielding the silver handle of a bespoke (> MTM > OTR) umbrella.

Last edited:

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

i was on a 13 hour flight with a coworker and were bumped into coach when we had to be rebooked. we found out that drinks cost 7 dollars (!!!!) apiece, so instead we bought a bottle of blue label from the duty free and emptied it during the flight. it was more like 160 though - completely worth it.

at 160-180, def worth it imho but i'm no expert

XKxRome0ox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Are we talking No.7, Gentleman, or Single Barrel? Gentleman maybe. Single Barrel definitely.

plain ol' no.7

i am just not a fan of johnnie walker
don't like the taste of it
i had a bunch of friends who loved JW black... so sometimes that was all that was available
and one time someone bought a bottle of blue
so of course i had to try it
was not impressed
it was just a smoother black

i'd rather drink jack than jw anything
and i'd rather drink beer than anything else

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads