HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Cyber Eliitist

For getting black out drunk I generally look to Bulleit (official spirit of these United States) or Knob Creek. Bushmill's single if I'm looking to get drunk and spend some cash. There are surprisingly few good (read: real) bourbon/whiskey bars in Atlanta so I'm mostly buying fifths on my guy's recommendations.

In terms of sipping I have actually been on a high roller kick lately. One of my neighbors has a bottle of Louis XIII he got as a gift (wish I had his friends) back in the 70's. Past two weekends I've had two or three shots of that stuff to sip on. Honestly is incredible and you can absolutely taste the history. And I hate cognac.

2. Omar1223

Omar1223 Senior member

+1

3. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

dude, louis XIII is incredible. Ive had it more than i deserved. A wealthy buddy bought some for my birthday years ago at a high end restaurant/lounge here.

Im gonna have to make a trip to atlanta again soon. :fistbump:

4. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Cyber Eliitist

Sorry Ted. Back to business as usual.

5. Bounder

Bounder Senior member

Actually, yes they do. A talented amateur is still an amateur. Talent isn't a substitute for training and study. It just allows you to get more out of your training and study.

Look, WAYWRN shouldn't be a bloody self-esteem workshop. If you really dress just for you and you really are a honeybadger, don't post in WAYWRN. The point of WAYWRN . . . hell, the point of this entire board, is to perfect the art of dressing, whatever that turns out to be. So you can argue that your lime-green tie and purple jacket fit into some cohesive theory of style. But you cannot say "I am a special flower with an innate sense of style all my own! I don't need any rules, I dress just for me!"

Or, rather, you can say that, but then what is the point of posting in WAYWRN? If you are only looking for affirmation of the choices you have already made, it becomes a pretty empty exercise.

6. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Just checking here - who are you referring to in this post?

7. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

Quote:
    Yes, but... there are still different kinds of style that have their place and yet are not favoured here, and it is possible that proponents may feel forced into a defensive posture or resort to a 'yes, but I like it' stance when confronted with strong normative judgments. At some point, personal aesthetics do matter more than anything else, the problem is deciding whether something works or not both in its own terms and in comparison to a baseline, but the question is: what is the baseline?

The classic English look does not seem to be favoured here, for example. Looking through this thread, here is a constant emphasis on the trim fit of shirts, whereas the English look traditionally favours looser, less fitted shirts. There are also particular combinations of colour and pattern which you might argue constitute an English sartorial aesthetic, yet here the norm appears to be basically a US-filtered Italian standard.

BTW, personally, I've nothing against or in favour of either tradition over the other, or indeed with more outre attempts to mix up traditions or get beyond them, in fact I'd encourage such exploration. This is just an observation.

8. freedom_fries

freedom_fries Senior member

[​IMG]

9. XKxRome0ox

XKxRome0ox Senior member

i hope you used your great power of persuasion to join the mile high club while/after enjoying the bottle of blue
    :slayer:

10. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011

11. Threadbearer

Threadbearer Senior member

Outside the Beltway but still in the Danger Zone

That's surprising. I would have guessed Matthew 22:14.

12. NORE

NORE Senior member

Do I know you? :uhoh:

13. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

wow. too bad there is not more photos and less talk.

14. NORE

NORE Senior member

Agreed. I like to think I already had a good sense of style, but frequenting this forum allowed me to hone that skill and get more out of it. Have I got it down? Maybe not. But it's enough for me.

Sorta like searching the globe for the best burger. You might eventually find it but at some point the tastes may just run together. As soon as I've found the best burger I needed to find, I stop the search. Same for suits, shoes, shirts, etc. I found brands that work for me and the search ended there. Sure I could try other things, but I don't feel the need to at this point in life.

15. Bounder

Bounder Senior member

Not anyone particularly, it's more of an attitude. You betray some of it but you, nonetheless, do make an effort to respond to criticism so you're certainly not the worst offender, by any means. In fact, a lot of people seem to get more worked up on your behalf than you do yourself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.