• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't care if "the rules" tell me that my socks should not match my tie. I don't care that the rules say I should not wear bracelets with a suit. I do have a strong passion for clothes and I love looking my best as we all do. However, I do it for me. Not you, not you, and not you - I do it for me. That means that I like to match my socks to my tie, and wear my bracelets. Its me. Its my style.

So Spoo, and this is a serious question, why do you post in WAYWRN?

It seems to me the essence of WAYWRN has to be a critique based on some set of norms. They might not be the norms of conservative business dress but there must be some norms. If it is entirely subjective and "just for you", what is the point? How can we have a conversation?

jj-moody

Reaction score

It seems to me the essence of WAYWRN has to be a critique based on some set of norms. They might not be the norms of conservative business dress but there must be some norms. If it is entirely subjective and "just for you", what is the point? How can we have a conversation?

Oh god, when did this thread change from being about clothing to love affairs and crushes? Get a hold of yourself, mate!

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I said I was here to learn. I didn't say I was staid in my beliefs. I take a whole lot of inspiration from all kinds of dudes here. I want to try different stuff. And I want to see how it works. I don't think there is anyone else here who takes risks as often and as big as I do. So, if I **** up, I want to know if I royally fucked up, or if I just grazed a testicle, or if I knocked it out of the park. I love the days I come close (testicle grazing) because I know Im onto something that I can expound upon or dilute the next time. Does that make sense?

SpooPoker

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Oh god, when did this thread change from being about clothing to love affairs and crushes? Get a hold of yourself, mate!
Dude, I love you. Pass me a grape.

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

and +1 to feeling the emotion you put into that post. very real.

You forgot, "I love you, man!"

Geez. I wish Vox were back. We could use one of his old-style soft Appreciation photos about now.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

So Spoo, and this is a serious question, why do you post in WAYWRN? It seems to me the essence of WAYWRN has to be a critique based on some set of norms. They might not be the norms of conservative business dress but there must be some norms. If it is entirely subjective and "just for you", what is the point? How can we have a conversation?
he posts because he has a passion for clothing, dresses well, and enjoys being involved in clothing related discussion. also as he mentioned he is learning day by day. edit - damn you spoo, you beat me to it. something about testicles. he posts because of testicles apparantly
Real, real like a gun shot. He was straight up gangsta.

I am not a former poster for goodness sakes, ask emptym...he knows I just JJ
maybe, but its more exciting if you are.

Last edited:

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Dressing for yourself does not mean dressing up even if nobody sees you. It just means that after all said and done, if you feel good in your clothes in a certain environment, you don't really care what some others might think. If I post here, I don't really dress for you, I still dress for myself. Yet it doesn't mean I don't enjoy a critique or a praise here and there. It certainly makes me feel good when I get complimented in real life. Still, I dress for myself.

Also, it may not be his most important intention, but all of us draw inspiration from his (and other's) posts. Sometimes I look at a fit and I understand that it is wrong and I shouldn't copy it. Sometimes it gives me ideas how to dress for an upcoming event. Either way, it's useful for everyone.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You forgot, "I love you, man!"

Geez. I wish Vox were back. We could use one of his old-style soft Appreciation photos about now.

no i didnt. it was clearly in there.

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I said I was here to learn. I didn't say I was staid in my beliefs. I take a whole lot of inspiration from all kinds of dudes here. I want to try different stuff. And I want to see how it works. I don't think there is anyone else here who takes risks as often and as big as I do. So, if I **** up, I want to know if I royally fucked up, or if I just grazed a testicle, or if I knocked it out of the park. I love the days I come close (testicle grazing) because I know Im onto something that I can expound upon or dilute the next time. Does that make sense?

Well, to be honest, no, no it doesn't.

If you just dress for you then all that matters is if you like it. And there is certainly nothing wrong with that.

But if you are posting your looks so that someone else can tell you whether you fucked up or or knocked it out of the park, you are, of necessity, admitting that there are a set of norms external to your subjective preferences on which your look can -- and should -- be judged.

So there is a tension here. If you admit there are norms of some sort -- which I think we need to do otherwise we have the "ice cream" conversation ("I like vanilla!" "Really? I like chocolate." /thread) -- you can then have an interesting discussion as to what those norms are. And as I said, they might not be conservative business dress. But if you admit there are norms, you cannot then reject critical commentary on the theory that it is all purely subjective and you only dress for yourself.

SpooPoker

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Spoo's keyboard, he don't care, he types for himself, types from the heart
Thass hawt
Well, to be honest, no, no it doesn't. If you just dress for you then all that matters is if you like it. And there is certainly nothing wrong with that. But if you are posting your looks so that someone else can tell you whether you fucked up or or knocked it out of the park, you are, of necessity, admitting that there are a set of norms external to your subjective preferences on which your look can -- and should -- be judged. So there is a tension here. If you admit there are norms of some sort -- which I think we need to do otherwise we have the "ice cream" conversation ("I like vanilla!" "Really? I like chocolate." /thread) -- you can then have an interesting discussion as to what those norms are. And as I said, they might not be conservative business dress. But if you admit there are norms, you cannot then reject critical commentary on the theory that it is all purely subjective and you only dress for yourself.
I see.. sorry, my thought process is kind of convoluted tonight, Im all over the place. What I am talking about are larger scope mistakes - fit is not really too subjective, so thats the most important thing I look for now. Some days I notice in the pics how weird something looks when in the mirror it was perfect. What I mean is that I am comfortable in my clothes, and I wear what I wear because I like it - but I am looking for feedback for any major issues. I don't want to know if Im doing it properly, because you don't know what my proper is. Any better? :lol:

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really? That's unwise, since I am right.

Which SF RTW-wearers do you like as much or more than your favorites (if any) who use bespoke tailors?

We know you do it well. But, let's exclude you since I am questioning you.

I recall Phat Guido was dressing very well in his RTW Armani when he first started posting as El Guapo Wongo. His style and taste have since evolved, but the original posts demonstrate how good RTW can look. Were all his posts lost in the Great Crash? I had tried looking for them once, but not since we moved to the new platform.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads