• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am at my computer, in my underwear, sweating from having had relations with Christie Turlington, but mostly crying from the emotional outpour in your post. Bravo!
Your posts are funny. I like them. Now please post pictures. I say that with all sincerity, because I'd like to see how your point of view is expressed in a suit. Because basically, that's what it boils down to. Spoo obviously has enough money to go bespoke, to not wear socks that match his tie, but he chooses not to. Therefore we can conclude through his pics and his commentary that while he appreciates that simply putting salt & pepper on a filet mignon is the best way to have it, goddammit, he's gonna put barbecue sauce on it, cause that's how he likes it. No problem there. He doesn't say it's the best way, only that it's his way. Then there are others who are just starting out, or because of budget constraints, buy a suit made for the masses, and look (for better or worse) just like the H&M ads. Therefore they must look good, right? But they genuinely want to know if the pants are supposed to pool around their ankles, or if they should cup their hands around the bottom of the hem of their jacket, etc. I'm similar to Doc. I'll admit it - I'm cheap and don't have a lot of money to spend. This, of course, precludes me from seeing the difference between $300 shoes and $1000 shoes, much as I would like to. Someday I'd like my treat my feet to the pleasure of Austrian-made footwear, but for now, it's not going to happen. In the meantime, I have the fortune of having a great tailor who, after years of trial & error, knows & understands my shape. She has made many suits feel like they were made expressly for me; in fact, I just had my first bespoke from WW Chan, and I have to say: I can get 3 suits tailored to me, that look and feel great, for the same price as a Chan. While I will concede that my Chan is the best fitting, is it 3x worth the price? To be honest, I struggle with this. However, after all is said & done, I enjoy the process of cutting something for my mold, be it from scratch or from a Polo IV. After years of this, I feel I know what works for me, but due to money, I feel there is more to learn. In saying this, I have to acknowledge Vox's statement that, yes, money (or lack of it) can either limit their indulgence, or can run amok with it. Which brings us to the upper echelon, those (who shall not be named, nor their tailor) who have the limitless cash flow to indulge in their passion for suiting, and have, due to their bottomless pocketbook and years of experience, can say what works, and what doesn't. They have seen on their own bodies how a strong shoulder looks vs. a softer one, a draped chest vs. a slimmer one, how much waist suppression they should have depending on their length & girth, how much the skirt should flare within reason (John Steed = maximum flare), & etc. Armed with this knowledge & experience, they can with a certain amount of authority say what works & what doesn't. And short of certain stylistic aesthetics (sack, trad, English, Italian, etc), there are pitfalls that they have already encountered, identified, & corrected. Being so, when they criticize or praise a certain post, why wouldn't it carry weight? My broker knows more than me; when he gives me advice & don't think it's impudent; I respect it as one who has far more insight than I. It would appear that you have more experience than me, so again I ask: I would like to see how your experience expresses itself in your suits. Because after all is said & done, no matter how many words you write (and I do enjoy them), there is nothing more persuasive and exemplary like a picture to typify - give life and illustrate - your point of view.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
There is such good stuff in this thread today. Great post, UC.

So who is getting a roast tomorrow? Lufty and I have paid dues this week.

Last edited:

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
so i have a pretty big walk in shower and i usually sit down naked and let the water hit me. i know it def has enough room for 2 people. so im sitting down taking a shower and this big ma ****** almost goes on my thigh. im sorry but ******* is exposed and i do not want any spider on it, or biting it or whatever. god that was sooo nasty.

bringusingoodale

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A good dose of pedantry and wit in the last few pages thanks to F. Corbera ; I like.

And why hasn't anyone mentioned this: Fit Battle !!!

jj-moody

Reaction score
Your posts are funny. I like them. Now please post pictures. I say that with all sincerity, because I'd like to see how your point of view is expressed in a suit.

Because basically, that's what it boils down to. Spoo obviously has enough money to go bespoke, to not wear socks that match his tie, but he chooses not to. Therefore we can conclude through his pics and his commentary that while he appreciates that simply putting salt & pepper on a filet mignon is the best way to have it, goddammit, he's gonna put barbecue sauce on it, cause that's how he likes it. No problem there. He doesn't say it's the best way, only that it's his way.

Then there are others who are just starting out, or because of budget constraints, buy a suit made for the masses, and look (for better or worse) just like the H&M ads. Therefore they must look good, right? But they genuinely want to know if the pants are supposed to pool around their ankles, or if they should cup their hands around the bottom of the hem of their jacket, etc.

I'm similar to Doc. I'll admit it - I'm cheap and don't have a lot of money to spend. This, of course, precludes me from seeing the difference between $300 shoes and $1000 shoes, much as I would like to. Someday I'd like my treat my feet to the pleasure of Austrian-made footwear, but for now, it's not going to happen. In the meantime, I have the fortune of having a great tailor who, after years of trial & error, knows & understands my shape. She has made many suits feel like they were made expressly for me; in fact, I just had my first bespoke from WW Chan, and I have to say: I can get 3 suits tailored to me, that look and feel great, for the same price as a Chan. While I will concede that my Chan is the best fitting, is it 3x worth the price? To be honest, I struggle with this. However, after all is said & done, I enjoy the process of cutting something for my mold, be it from scratch or from a Polo IV. After years of this, I feel I know what works for me, but due to money, I feel there is more to learn. In saying this, I have to acknowledge Vox's statement that, yes, money (or lack of it) can either limit their indulgence, or can run amok with it.

Which brings us to the upper echelon, those (who shall not be named, nor their tailor) who have the limitless cash flow to indulge in their passion for suiting, and have, due to their bottomless pocketbook and years of experience, can say what works, and what doesn't. They have seen on their own bodies how a strong shoulder looks vs. a softer one, a draped chest vs. a slimmer one, how much waist suppression they should have depending on their length & girth, how much the skirt should flare within reason (John Steed = maximum flare), & etc. Armed with this knowledge & experience, they can with a certain amount of authority say what works & what doesn't. And short of certain stylistic aesthetics (sack, trad, English, Italian, etc), there are pitfalls that they have already encountered, identified, & corrected. Being so, when they criticize or praise a certain post, why wouldn't it carry weight? My broker knows more than me; when he gives me advice & don't think it's impudent; I respect it as one who has far more insight than I.

It would appear that you have more experience than me, so again I ask: I would like to see how your experience expresses itself in your suits. Because after all is said & done, no matter how many words you write (and I do enjoy them), there is nothing more persuasive and exemplary like a picture to typify - give life and illustrate - your point of view.

I intentionally keep a low profile on the internet, as it would not be prudent professionally to be recognizable. In fact, being funny on a clothing forum would not do me any good at all. For that reason, I am quite reluctant to have my likeness in any form posted on the web.

I have had my suits made for me since I was quite young, and since I still maintain my late father's house in London I have the good fortune of being able to visit, if not regularly, three or four times a year. I do not do bespoke jeans or anything excessive like that. I do not even do bespoke shoes. When I was younger I would wear Alden and now it's mostly the English. I wouldn't know how else to better acquaint you with my style. Simple and clean, and I only occasionally use pocket squares. Oh and the idea of expressing yourself in a suit is quite a stretch. I think the only thing I do that might be more eccentric than my peers is slightly wider lapels. When I first started, I didn't know simple things like needing winged lapels with a double breasted coat. It was my tailor who directed most of the stylistic choices, and I don't think I've veered too far from his initial guidance even now.

Last edited:

bringusingoodale

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Bah!

Damn your ability to remember everything on here!

Last edited:

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What a great day on WAYRN. May there be many more.

IST66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With a great interest I have read some last pages. For a long time was not so interesting!:nodding:
2-139.jpg

1-181.jpg

4-84.jpg

freedom_fries

Reaction score

With a great interest I have read some last pages. For a long time was not so interesting!:nodding:
2-139.jpg

1-181.jpg

4-84.jpg

the button-down with a suit - so it can be done right!

also, there was some fine philosophizing yesterday, so good times. i'm quite sure i don't fall into any of corbera's aka vox's categories (the reason i began posting here was because i'd recognized that so many trends in men's clothing are unappealing, but i do not have the background or knowledge to articulate how and why), but it was an amusing read nonetheless. still, by the time i'd reached spoo's grand finale, i'd forgotten how the discussion had gotten to that point.

i for my part will try to post more of my low-budget fits for comment.

carry on.

Last edited:

W.R.

Reaction score
I hope this passionate/informed/at-times-heated banter is not just a flash in the pan and exclusive to this evening. Us n00bs never got first hand insight from y'all. Nice to actually hear from the dudes we are supposed to search for every time an inside joke or esoteric subject comes up.

Either way, digging WAYWRN lately. Awesome start to the Fall.

+1

MalfordOfLondon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last day of the cool weather for a while and apparently an Indian summer on the way. Topping out at 25°C :slayer:

DSC_1910.JPG

DSC_1912.JPG

DSC_1913.JPG

Last edited:

RogerC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am at my computer, in my underwear, sweating from having had relations with Christie Turlington, but mostly crying from the emotional outpour in your post. Bravo!
Your posts are funny. I like them. Now please post pictures. I say that with all sincerity, because I'd like to see how your point of view is expressed in a suit. Because basically, that's what it boils down to. Spoo obviously has enough money to go bespoke, to not wear socks that match his tie, but he chooses not to. Therefore we can conclude through his pics and his commentary that while he appreciates that simply putting salt & pepper on a filet mignon is the best way to have it, goddammit, he's gonna put barbecue sauce on it, cause that's how he likes it. No problem there. He doesn't say it's the best way, only that it's his way. Then there are others who are just starting out, or because of budget constraints, buy a suit made for the masses, and look (for better or worse) just like the H&M ads. Therefore they must look good, right? But they genuinely want to know if the pants are supposed to pool around their ankles, or if they should cup their hands around the bottom of the hem of their jacket, etc. I'm similar to Doc. I'll admit it - I'm cheap and don't have a lot of money to spend. This, of course, precludes me from seeing the difference between $300 shoes and $1000 shoes, much as I would like to. Someday I'd like my treat my feet to the pleasure of Austrian-made footwear, but for now, it's not going to happen. In the meantime, I have the fortune of having a great tailor who, after years of trial & error, knows & understands my shape. She has made many suits feel like they were made expressly for me; in fact, I just had my first bespoke from WW Chan, and I have to say: I can get 3 suits tailored to me, that look and feel great, for the same price as a Chan. While I will concede that my Chan is the best fitting, is it 3x worth the price? To be honest, I struggle with this. However, after all is said & done, I enjoy the process of cutting something for my mold, be it from scratch or from a Polo IV. After years of this, I feel I know what works for me, but due to money, I feel there is more to learn. In saying this, I have to acknowledge Vox's statement that, yes, money (or lack of it) can either limit their indulgence, or can run amok with it. Which brings us to the upper echelon, those (who shall not be named, nor their tailor) who have the limitless cash flow to indulge in their passion for suiting, and have, due to their bottomless pocketbook and years of experience, can say what works, and what doesn't. They have seen on their own bodies how a strong shoulder looks vs. a softer one, a draped chest vs. a slimmer one, how much waist suppression they should have depending on their length & girth, how much the skirt should flare within reason (John Steed = maximum flare), & etc. Armed with this knowledge & experience, they can with a certain amount of authority say what works & what doesn't. And short of certain stylistic aesthetics (sack, trad, English, Italian, etc), there are pitfalls that they have already encountered, identified, & corrected. Being so, when they criticize or praise a certain post, why wouldn't it carry weight? My broker knows more than me; when he gives me advice & don't think it's impudent; I respect it as one who has far more insight than I. It would appear that you have more experience than me, so again I ask: I would like to see how your experience expresses itself in your suits. Because after all is said & done, no matter how many words you write (and I do enjoy them), there is nothing more persuasive and exemplary like a picture to typify - give life and illustrate - your point of view.
Hear hear. I'd also like to add you have been responsible for some of the nicer combinations over the last few weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads