• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kevinsp8
What would you suggest for Pride Day? Or for a vogueing competition?

First a disclaimer. This is not my forum/thread, I am not some authority or mod and everyone has as much "right" to post what they want. That being said:

This is the classic mens clothing side of the forum. I think it's a fair statement to make that classic mens clothing encompasses suits/sportcoats/dress shoes/office pents and some variations/derivations. Jeans and a sportcoat can be considered a casual variation on classic menswear(although I don't like the look) but jean shorts and a wifebeater would not. Which brings me to your post (and, while I am singling you out, too many here do the same). So you are at a Pride parade wearing old man boxer shorts, sock garters, sneakers and a wife beater. How is that remotely connected to what was once the theme of this thread? Unless you are showing us your take on 85 year old men undergarments, I don't get it. There is nothing to see/learn/suggest from your post. Too many posts here have become this wasteland where the OP knows he is posting an awful outfit, is not looking to change/improve in any way, shape or form and couldn't care less. (get off my lawn diatribe coming) When I started here and looked at WAYWN, there was tons of stuff to see and learn from. Be it bespoke, off the rack, thrift store, lots of great stuff. Even if you didn't like any outfits, there was always color, fabric, pattern information you could apply to your wardrobe. So when you were new to dressing well and you came here and saw pics, you saw endless possibilities on how to improve. Now a newbie gets wifebeaters, super tight pants (with requisite crotch shot), costumes and outfits that should be worn when gardening. Instead of a valuable resource, it's become an extension of peoples twatter/Facebook accounts. You (not you individually Kevin) dont have to post everyday. You don't have to post every outfit. Save the best for here. Look through the old WAYWN for inspiration. When you are dressed like a grown man that is going to an interview/first date/art gallery/client meeting/wedding etc post here. When you are dressed like you are going to a Phish concert, post on Facebook.

molayo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dbc
A little bit of wrist supression and maybe slightly longer shirt sleeves.

But not bad.

I am a short guy, so I try not to show shirt sleeves too long. I think a shirt sleeve length is proper. I am thinking of shortening the jacket's sleeve length. Thanks for the input.

Originally Posted by JapanAlex01
Yeah, it makes me lol the way people stand sometimes!
tongue.gif
I like the suit, btw. Not so sure on the shoes, but I have never been on that cut/style (are they leather chukkas? Weird)!

I know that pose looks a little ridiculous.
laugh.gif
But You know I am a newbie here. I thought standing that way could show the exact fit of the suit and get appropriate advice from you. The shoes are Italian-style u tip derby. Do they look that weird?
butbut.gif

Originally Posted by Phat Guido
Could not resist these TheArmoury X Carmina unlined #8 cordovan loafers
1106241511.jpg

1106241521.jpg

Just great. The carmina loafers are beautiful!
thumbs-up.gif

HenryFlower

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
When you are dressed like a grown man that is going to an interview/first date/art gallery/client meeting/wedding etc post here. When you are dressed like you are going to a Phish concert, post on Facebook.

QFT.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A.J.V
Today:

IMG_1332.JPG

On the move...
IMG_1337.JPG

And some deets...
IMG_1341.JPG

IMG_1348.JPG

thats my kinda suit. lovin it!!

First a disclaimer. This is not my forum/thread, I am not some authority or mod and everyone has as much "right" to post what they want. That being said:

This is the classic mens clothing side of the forum. I think it's a fair statement to make that classic mens clothing encompasses suits/sportcoats/dress shoes/office pents and some variations/derivations. Jeans and a sportcoat can be considered a casual variation on classic menswear(although I don't like the look) but jean shorts and a wifebeater would not. Which brings me to your post (and, while I am singling you out, too many here do the same). So you are at a Pride parade wearing old man boxer shorts, sock garters, sneakers and a wife beater. How is that remotely connected to what was once the theme of this thread? Unless you are showing us your take on 85 year old men undergarments, I don't get it. There is nothing to see/learn/suggest from your post. Too many posts here have become this wasteland where the OP knows he is posting an awful outfit, is not looking to change/improve in any way, shape or form and couldn't care less. (get off my lawn diatribe coming) When I started here and looked at WAYWN, there was tons of stuff to see and learn from. Be it bespoke, off the rack, thrift store, lots of great stuff. Even if you didn't like any outfits, there was always color, fabric, pattern information you could apply to your wardrobe. So when you were new to dressing well and you came here and saw pics, you saw endless possibilities on how to improve. Now a newbie gets wifebeaters, super tight pants (with requisite crotch shot), costumes and outfits that should be worn when gardening. Instead of a valuable resource, it's become an extension of peoples twatter/Facebook accounts. You (not you individually Kevin) dont have to post everyday. You don't have to post every outfit. Save the best for here. Look through the old WAYWN for inspiration. When you are dressed like a grown man that is going to an interview/first date/art gallery/client meeting/wedding etc post here. When you are dressed like you are going to a Phish concert, post on Facebook.

this should be pinned, or should show up every time you hit "submit reply" for this thread and be required reading before the post goes up.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
@ edmorel ...

Fantastic post. This should be framed, pinned, printed, embalmed, stored in a hermetically sealed glass tomb, but most of all read and adhered to by every poster new and old. We can but live in hope.

There has been a lot of posts lauding the good old days of WAYWRN and bemoaning how it is on a steep decline. I resisted the temptation to join this school of thought but the last several days, barring a few notable exceptions, have forced me to feel the same way.

Thanks for taking the time to so eloquently present your thoughts.

EFV

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Today:

IMG_1332.JPG

On the move...
IMG_1337.JPG

And some deets...
IMG_1341.JPG

IMG_1348.JPG

I'm starting to look forward to your next post. This suit looks great. Hard to tell the fit though, as you only have one shot in there were it seems like the jacket is buttoned, and your hands are covering the waist (i.e. it's hard to tell if the jacket is too stretched). The tie also looks great, deets please.

JapanAlex01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First a disclaimer. This is not my forum/thread, I am not some authority or mod and everyone has as much "right" to post what they want. That being said: This is the classic mens clothing side of the forum. I think it's a fair statement to make that classic mens clothing encompasses suits/sportcoats/dress shoes/office pents and some variations/derivations. Jeans and a sportcoat can be considered a casual variation on classic menswear(although I don't like the look) but jean shorts and a wifebeater would not. Which brings me to your post (and, while I am singling you out, too many here do the same). So you are at a Pride parade wearing old man boxer shorts, sock garters, sneakers and a wife beater. How is that remotely connected to what was once the theme of this thread? Unless you are showing us your take on 85 year old men undergarments, I don't get it. There is nothing to see/learn/suggest from your post. Too many posts here have become this wasteland where the OP knows he is posting an awful outfit, is not looking to change/improve in any way, shape or form and couldn't care less. (get off my lawn diatribe coming) When I started here and looked at WAYWN, there was tons of stuff to see and learn from. Be it bespoke, off the rack, thrift store, lots of great stuff. Even if you didn't like any outfits, there was always color, fabric, pattern information you could apply to your wardrobe. So when you were new to dressing well and you came here and saw pics, you saw endless possibilities on how to improve. Now a newbie gets wifebeaters, super tight pants (with requisite crotch shot), costumes and outfits that should be worn when gardening. Instead of a valuable resource, it's become an extension of peoples twatter/Facebook accounts. You (not you individually Kevin) dont have to post everyday. You don't have to post every outfit. Save the best for here. Look through the old WAYWN for inspiration. When you are dressed like a grown man that is going to an interview/first date/art gallery/client meeting/wedding etc post here. When you are dressed like you are going to a Phish concert, post on Facebook.
I'm sorry, but you have all skipped brain processes! He was JOKING..! Jesus Christ, what a moronic/assholic poast! (Yes, I understand if you want to keep this thread on point, but loosen up!)

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Holdfast
Hot and muggy Monday:
This is fantastic. A bit more spread collar would make this one of my favorites ever from you. I love the colors. (even though I am heavily biased towards purple)
smile.gif
Keep it up, sir. Well done (except the socks).
WELL PUT AND MOST NEEDED RANT
cheers.gif

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys for the all the constructive comments to my first fit:

Originally Posted by Gdot
Ok Guys, This is my first fit.

The intention here is plain old boring business presentation look. I want to look polished and professional - but take a background to the presentation.

Most of my current clients are in the middle east - the climate is VERY hot and often very humid. So this suit is a very lightweight high twist 160 yarn fabric. So thin it's practically transparent. Drapes beautifully - but also shows every little thing.

Musta made the tailor crazy.
laugh.gif

navyfront.jpg

navytwo.jpg

NavySide.jpg

NavyThree.jpg

Suit - Canali OTR
Shirt - Truzzi
Tie - Zegna
Belt - Ferragamo
Shoes - Bally (They are very dark chocolate.)
Tailoring - Mario Bosco Atlanta
(Did I mention my clients are total Euro label whores?????
bounce2.gif
)

Go crazy on me guys - quiet perfection is my goal.
(God do I need a haircut!)

Originally Posted by SpooPoker
Looks good, Godot - you need a white linen hank there, and maybe 1.5" less length in the trou, but its all good.
Would love to add a square - but I've never seen one on anyone else I've encountered in meetings in Abu Dhabi - so it's a nix for this fit. As for the length of trou I agree a little shortening is in order. They don't like to see your socks/ankles so much in conservative Muslim locales so I tried to have as much break as I could stand - but I agree they are just a puddle right now.

Originally Posted by TexasDan
Gdot - In addition to the trouser length, the jacket looks like it may be a touch to snug.
Seems perfect to me (no tension at the button - I think I'm good with this)

Originally Posted by Master Claster
Pants are a bit long. I understand not everyone' into the whole no break thing so these might be more acceptable with your crowd but they're long for SF standards. The tie seems a bit wide for the suit.
could be the camera angle, but what struck me the most in your pic is an example of SF standards versus what works for you specifically. IMO your pants are too narrow, and it makes your upper body look even bigger. Proportions... if the pants were just that bit wider they'd balance out the top half.

Agreed the tie is just a hair too wide - I thought I might be able to get away with it. (It's a great tie - what you can't see in the pics is that the polka dots are shiny bright orange silk.) This gives a lot of life while still being very conservative. But alas the width does look outta wack.

I didn't think the pants looked too narrow when I was at the tailor's. But when looking at these pics I completely agree. I'm going to shorten the hem a bit and have a reinforcing cloth tape sewn into the hem. I think these two things will cause the trousers to hang more straight (less puddle) which might cause them to appear a little wider. If that doesn't work then we'll let the side seams out a bit if possible.

Originally Posted by Acecow
There is something wrong with that suit. The front-back balance is off (please, correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not a tailor) and that causes the front bottom parts of the jacket to overlap as well as the back of the jacket to hang lower than the front. There's not much that can be done about it without severe alterations and shortening the jacket. I wouldn't keep this suit if I could return it, but if I were stuck with it, I'd probably ask my tailor to re-cut the bottom front panels to at least open up a little more. Also, shorten the trousers. Otherwise, everything looks good!

If you want more information, find a post I made about my first MTM suit not so long ago. It had the same problem, but a lot more severe.

The front to back balance is what bothered me most in these pics! The side profile shows the bottom hem of the jacket raises up in front a bit. There's really nothing wrong with the suit. It's the shape of my build underneath the suit that causes this problem. (high protruding rib cage/breast bone and a more ample gut than I care to admit) which pulls the whole front of the coat up. This is a chronic problem for me in RTW suits. Unfortunately MTM is just a bit out of my range.
mad.gif
Sometimes a tweak with horizontal button position can help to opent up the quarters a bit (short of remaking the entire lower quarters) this will be my first step. Not sure I want to have the whole thing reworked - that often turns out worse than it started.

Again - Thanks guys! I'll have another totally boring look posted in the next couple of days which I hope will receive the same level of detailed scrutiny! I really appreciate it.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JapanAlex01
I'm sorry, but you have all skipped brain processes! He was JOKING..! Jesus Christ, what a moronic/assholic poast! (Yes, I understand if you want to keep this thread on point, but loosen up!)

me thinks you should have one of those joints you speak of alex, relax. fighting the tide isnt the way to go. even if he was making a joak i hate to say this but after his firsts posts and considering how long he has been posting here he hasnt earned it yet.

i know it seems unfair but its really not. spoo posted a pic of some belly dancer about a page ago and no one said boo. why? because he is a constant contributor to this thread. ill add a few more names, mike, holdfast, threadbearer, fred, acrid... im leaving a out a lot i know but this isnt about ass kissing. im making a point.

the people who come here almost daily to seriously share their clothing choises to teach and learn get to have a little leeway with an odd post here and there. they earned it. i have plenty of stupid and funny pics of myself. do post them here. no. why? because i have posted only about 6 fit pics over the past 6 months. who the hell am i? thats what people need to be asking themselves.

when you just show up and are clearly thumbing your nose at the veterans of thread even it is meant as a joke i think you could undestand why it doesnt go over well. there are new posters here (mktitsworth for example) who showed up got some criticism and took it seriously and now are solid dressers and contributors. this is the way of the world. bring your A game lay low and you earn credit. otherwise you will get flak. deal with it. i read this thread daily, prob almost every post since i joined. and i am telling you such post dont add anything to the thread or forum. its one thing to make a joke and get laughs. but you dont want to be laughed at. that is all

/rant

JapanAlex01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by in stitches
Even if he was making a joak, and I hate to say this, but after his firsts posts, and considering how long he has been posting here, he hasnt earned it yet.

I suppose. I haven't seen any of his poasts, so go figure!

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
molayo;4642828 said:
I am a short guy, so I try not to show shirt sleeves too long. I think a shirt sleeve length is proper. I am thinking of shortening the jacket's sleeve length. Thanks for the input.

Hi Molayo,

I agree with you about the sleeve length of the jacket. Take them up just a bit (1cm max). I also think the suggestion of reducing the diameter of the sleeve very slightly would be good - as it would be a bit 'slimming' on you. And last - is there a reason why the jacket sleeve cuffs seem to be slightly curved? Is that common in Korea?

Otherwise your fit is quite solid!

BTW - Someone mentioned your 'stiff' pose doesn't make for such interesting pictures - but I actually want to see them when discussing fit because they are totally unforgiving and really show the detail of the fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads