• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Last edited:

Tirailleur1

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I was born in Alabama and raised in the South, but currently live in New York City. Living in NYC, I feel no compulsion to adhere to the rules of "business" and "country" dress, but wouldn't mind learning more about it. Anything goes in NYC. I understand that may not be the case in this forum. I've grown accustom to this freedom and will continue for the most part to exercise it. This will lead to the juxtaposition of items that are thought to be contradictory by some, but I hope that the outfit as a composition can be analyzed outside of confines of "the rules." I understand that many have a hard time making this distinction as modes of dress are historical and riddled with tradition. I've just never been big on tradition. The pants are vintage PRL denim trousers from the 80s. I spent about a year trying to find a pair in my size. I've gotten several strongly negative reactions about them since I've bought them. I like them though and have no intention of burning them. I think they look much better when Ironed, but as I mentioned I had no electricity yesterday morning. The most concerning thing about the comments to me was that I have no idea why you don't like the jeans. Ok, they are horrendous and atrocious, but why? Are pleats on jeans the issue or are pleats in general the issue (that's a whole other discussion)? Is it the drape of the material? the taper of the leg? the rise? I have no idea. Again I like them, but would love your input as to what in particular about them is atrocious. Lastly, I agree the sleeves are too short. I purchased many shirts before I realized this. I do not have the funds to replace them all, so I roll with it. I'm slowly replacing things. Given that I often wear them under a jacket or with the sleeves rolled up, I'm ok with it for now. Thanks again for all of your feedback. Best.
I have no problem with blending city and country, but those jeans are just not good. I tried to understand it from an ironic perspective, a high fashion perspective and even a streetwear perspective and it didn't click with any. It looks kitsch... and not in a good way. Still you have a good and consistent aesthetic that you can afford to trip up sometimes.

Last edited:

Albert Hal

Reaction score

More second hand and vintage: Hat from Habig in Wienna (1950´s). Jacket from Bogner (Ermenegildo Zegna fabric), Trevira tie (60´s) Teriam watch (50´s) Waist coat (?). Canali trousers (2012). Melka shirt (90´s) Allen Edmond cordovan brogue shoes (2012)

Last edited:

clapeyron

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

gringodaddy

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Cold, wet and windy in NY today, had trouble deciding.between the below combinations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads