• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snoogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The tie is a bit more burgundy than the picture...the light was doing funny things with that tie. Worn with rough khaki chinos and brown loafers. And I'm aware the shirt's probably too formal for the cardigan...I just have way too many such shirts and not enough in oxford cloth (I like wearing dress shirts untucked with jeans)

R u saying ur wearing this outfit untucked? Or in general?

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
As odd as some of my tastes are, I'd never wear a tie with an untucked shirt. That's just...
crazy.gif

Albert Hal

Reaction score

More vintage: My favourite jacket from the 70´s in a new combination. Please excuse me, the scarf is new.

Last edited:

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
There's definitely something wrong with the jacket, and I can't quite say what it is. It looks boxy and frumpy in some dimensions, yet too tight in others. It would take a better-than-average alterations tailor to save the day.
Light gray on pink is a terrific combo in any decade, but that particular tie just isn't doing anything for your look. Neither are the contrasting laces and loud socks. You might get away with one or the other, but not both at once. In your most recent pic you look like a reverse mullet: All business up on top; party on the bottom.
Looks Like the shoulders are too small which is why it's pulling so much in the chest and overlapping so much below the buttoning point. the overlap is what makes you look pear shaped.
Before you spend more on the shoulders, I really think it will be a very difficult job.
re: mimo, jacket looks way too short, tie is meh, contrast laces....just a bit much that's way too noticeable in my unhumble opinion
Agreed on all counts. Length of jacket makes you look square.
That tie is horrible.
Mimo - that pose is not doing anything for the fit of your suits/sc. You're throwing your shoulders waaay back and the shoulder-width feet is good for golf, bad for online forum posting. Try to stand a little more naturally and things should go better.
Second, in an attempt to channel vox with regards to the contrast lacing, you're trying to bring a "fun" element into an outfit that is, on its face, almost completely city formal. As such it is not "fun," but jarring and wrong-looking

Thanks a lot! No, really...I figure it's far more useful to post something I'm not sure about and get some frank comments as to why. Friends always tell you when they think you look fabulous; most are less forthcoming when they don't think you look quite right. Maybe I'll post something I really like soon and give you a chance to hurt my feelings
lookaround.gif

Regarding the shape/pose, it's partly the exaggerated perspective from my little pocket camera. Makes it look like I'm falling over backwards somehow. Noted on the wide stance too, although that's actually a bit a curious real life habit. Anyway, will bear it in mind next time. But yeah, Cantabrigian is right; the shoulders are just too small and it pulls everything else out of shape. There are a few things wrong with it overall and it's almost time to give up. I've two more pinstripes inbound from the guy who couldn't fix this one (not the charlatans who made it). Stuff he's made before has been OK, so will see how the pinstripe replacements turn out later in the week. But I'm also trying new tailors with a test (an over the top smoking jacket to my own design; always wanted one for nothing in particular), so if they do well with that, I'll let them have one last go at fixing this cockeyed bastard of a suit jacket. If that doesn't work, then the charity shop beckons...thank you for the unequivocal confirmation!

I'm a bit surprised at the panning of the tie though. Generally it gets some good feedback, but as I mentioned, I agree it doesn't work with this. Threadbearer, I'm sure you're right that grey and pink are a good match - that was in my mind too - but maybe the blue spot pattern on this tie is too bold to work that angle? I will give it another run with a blue shirt and a different suit, and see if Mr Umbrella still thinks it's "horrible"! Maybe he's right, but I'll try it another combo that I've worn more before, and see what the expert critics think!

As for the socks and laces, I'll just take that on the chin. It's not as obvious and prominent without a special highlight picture of course, but it is a deliberate affectation that I feel somehow suits my expansive personality (I guess you'll have to take my word for that bit..!) Sometimes I'm in that mood, sometimes not. Half my shoes have "normal" laces, half have some kind of variation, of which this pair is probably the most noticeable, being a light colour on a very formal black cap toe. My next black pair will probably be left "standard". And sometimes I wear plain dark socks too. But every day is different, and I'm happy to leave this one as something some will love to hate.

Thanks again for commenting; some awesome pics over the last couple of days that I didn't get around to commenting on, too.

Citan1145

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Long time no post folks. Have enjoyed the thread lately with the more fall items appearing. Keep up the good work. Sorry for crappy macbook photos today. New SC courtesy of Jamesgatz, canali kei jacket and my first jacket of this type (unstructured "soft" jacket). Concerned the shoulders are too big and the sleeves too long but everything else seems ok? Thoughts? Sorry if it is unclear but I am wearing dark jeans. AE brown wingtip boots on the bottom.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/58019768@N02/8059948476/]

http://www.flickr.com/photos/58019768@N02/8059948476/[/url]

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Shoulders are OK. Anything smaller and your arms would protrude and you'd look like an egg. The whole jacket looks good to me, shorten the sleeves if you have trouble showing your shirt cuffs.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Gave you a thumbs up but made a mistake in the comment. I said, "Love the socks, shoes, and tie. Above the waist looks good, but doesn't really do it for me." but I meant to remark on the pants, not the tie (which is alright). But yeah, I can't really say why the jacket, tie, and shirt don't speak to me.

The jacket sleeves seem a bit short (or the shirt sleeves are a bit long).

Last edited:

Louis XIV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't like white shirts paired with stone pants.
The black belt clashes with the tan shoes.
Your tie seems to be on the short side.
The PS is too close in colour to the shirt and I dislike its 'fold'.
Your pant's legs are very unflattering, try to have them altered so they don't spread horizontally as much.
I hate sock peacocking and in your outfit it is very prominent.

I like your haircut.
I love the jacket even if it might be a bit short in length and sleeves..
I think your tie, cuff links and shoes have a place in other outfits.

Welcome to SF!

Last edited:

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

First post, please rate.

I'm not lovin' the white shirt with the cream slacks, nor do I dig the dark belt with light brown shoes. Combos aside, though, I really like all the individual pieces.

madeinpoland

Reaction score
Thank you, gents.

The belt is actually dark brown, not black. I do agree that it somehow clashes - hadn't bought a tan one yet.
The tie is one of two Ed Meier ancient madder silk seven folds, which I kop'd at our local auction platform (Allegro.pl) for a stunning $1 (one dollar) / each.
The jacket fabric is a Loro Piana wool/silk/mohair blend, looks and feels like denim, can't really say who the manufacturer is, but the label reads "Made in Italy". Got it for $3 :)
Also: Gordon & Bros shoes, Piquadro bag and Burlington socks, vintage silver handmade cufflinks with a precious stone (no idea which one).

Quote:
Ima fat negro, 'bout 260lbs 6ft tall, got big thighs and calves, it's certainly not easy to alter khaki pants so that they both look good and feel comfortable as well. But i do appreciate your comment.

Louis XIV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sure you are of stately size but you're not obese, only your pants make you look as if.
Having had a second look at the pics it might also have something to do with the wind flatting out the fabric but still I think the legs could be narrowed a bit and would improve your outfit a lot.
You seem to have a great attitude and be as good at thrifting as Albert is, you will have plenty of fun on SF my Polish neighbour :)

Last edited:

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm a bit surprised at the panning of the tie though.  Generally it gets some good feedback, but as I mentioned, I agree it doesn't work with this.  Threadbearer, I'm sure you're right that grey and pink are a good match - that was in my mind too - but maybe the blue spot pattern on this tie is too bold to work that angle?  I will give it another run with a blue shirt and a different suit, and see if Mr Umbrella still thinks it's "horrible"!  Maybe he's right, but I'll try it another combo that I've worn more before, and see what the expert critics think!.

The thing about the tie is that grey is sober and sleek while the large colourful spots aren't.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
First post, please rate.
Last days of summer here in Warsaw, Poland.

If I had a long lost Polish brother, I think it might be you...

As for the overall combo, I agree with most of the comments above. But I love the jacket, and that's a cool briefcase too. Also, I've never tried "Gordon Bros.", but they look good value.

Not so big on the pink everywhere, but I'm with you on the principle!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads