• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hoboing - Is it possible today?

Jekyll

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
This is one of the dumbest threaks ever.
I'm trying to best you.
Originally Posted by Tck13
What about Alaskan fishing boats? Go away for three / six months, make some money and then do it again. Adventurous, save lots of money (there's nothing to spend it on in alaska except beer), etc...
Is there anything like this, except on land? Water is on my list of top three fears. Right now I'm thinking about either applying for AmeriCorps and/or the Peace Corps, or saving up some money, buying a beater car, and traveling across the country in it for a month or two towards the end of the summer. Another thing that may make this a stupid idea....did I mention I'm bipolar?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
my friend carlos did the alaskan boat thing and got kicked off on day 3. was too much work and he slapped his captain with a fish after the cpt. making fun of his girl.

I bet Carlos was sorry when the captain told him he could walk back to port...

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
they made arrangements for him to get back. crew was split on who was at fault.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jekyll
Another thing that may make this a stupid idea....did I mention I'm bipolar?

LOL, yeah, that underlying disthymia was not coming through at all. Or flights of thought, impulsive decision making...

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another thing that may make this a stupid idea....did I mention I'm bipolar?

Jekyll,

You should ask Mr. Hyde what he thinks of this idea.

HelloIDistance

Reaction score
This is a stupid thread...is this serious? Your on a message board, A STYLE message board, your a 19 year old who is white and from the middle class and asking if you should be a hobo...dude if your asking this on a internet forum then you are not suitable to be a hobo. You would most likely be killed in two months. You said it yourself you are a coward, a coward won't be able to survive on the streets by himself I'm sorry.

Some of these threads people make are ridiculous. If you wanna see the world go join the peace corps. From what I can tell about you from this thread I would say you would last 3 days max before you come crying home.

Hayling

Reaction score
+1 to helloIDistance.

Instead of setting off to face the world...why don't you do some small things like conquering some of your fears? Like you fear of water perhaps. Get over that ****. Learn to swim if you don't know how and get comfortable in the water.

Baby steps.

Or don't...man's gotta make his own way...don't rely on a bunch of strangers from the internet to tell you what to do.

Hayling

Reaction score
If not you guys, who?

I'm just saying you have to learn to make some decisions for yourself. You'll get a lot of advice on the internet, but only a small portion of it will be worthwhile.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hayling
+1 to helloIDistance. Instead of setting off to face the world...why don't you do some small things like conquering some of your fears? Like you fear of water perhaps. Get over that ****. Learn to swim if you don't know how and get comfortable in the water. Baby steps. Or don't...man's gotta make his own way...don't rely on a bunch of strangers from the internet to tell you what to do.
Volunteering is not that big a of step, a large proportion of British people volunteer abroad every year between school and university. It can be as tough an experience as you want it to be, and you go with an organisation that can back you up and help you out.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AndrewRyanWallace
There's nothing wrong with asking people for help; there's nothing wrong with taking people's advice.

Stay home dude. If you really really want to go, save up as much money as you can before you do.

+1

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
I think it is actually quite do-able. Prepare to not have anything of value, and to go without much of what you might think today is a necessity of life.

But between day labor work and homeless shelters I think a guy could survive for quite awhile. Moving from city to city would seem to be a lot more difficult than it was 20 or 30 years ago. I used to hitchhike everywhere; now I'd guess it would be tough to get a ride.

You'll be able to survive. It will be a huge adjustment. And you might surprise yourself.

Or, you'll cross the wrong dude somewhere and end up fucked for life.
(Serious)

+1, also, buses are pretty much free.

there are pleanty of places where you can get food almost free, and sleep for free or close. you can find day labor, moving, washing dishes, etc. I'd say do it, it could be a huge adventure and may lead to find what you want out of life. when I lived rough, I discovred that I had a taste for luxury.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads