• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hoboing - Is it possible today?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I'm expecting a thread, with pics, if you do this. Daily updates.

"Today was a good day. I found several donuts with hardly any schmutz on them, right at the top of a dumpster!"

If you are seriously going to do this though, why not make it really interesting? Do it in Europe, so you get to experience different cultures, see historical sights, etc?

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jekyll
Well, I obviously wouldn't have any technology. I guess I'm just wondering if anyone has any practical tips. Such as, how to avoid crossing the wrong dude. Also, how to find day jobs?

Day labor shops exist in every major city; you go there, they send you out on a job, they pay you at the end of the day. Look in shady neighborhoods near cheap bars and bus depots.

Jekyll

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
I'm expecting a thread, with pics, if you do this. Daily updates. "Today was a good day. I found several donuts with hardly any schmutz on them, right at the top of a dumpster!" If you are seriously going to do this though, why not make it really interesting? Do it in Europe, so you get to experience different cultures, see historical sights, etc?
I have no moneyz. That is why I would be doing it. I have a choice between this or my mom's house.
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
Day labor shops exist in every major city; you go there, they send you out on a job, they pay you at the end of the day. Look in shady neighborhoods near cheap bars and bus depots.
Thanks. Being a 19 year old, middle-class white dude, I know none of this.

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
Any specific message boards that are good?
Start with the message board at "standupforkids" or just google "squatter forum" and they'll probably be able to help you from there. The last one I remember was Hamburger Hill-something but that appears defunct and it was just for train hoppers, I think. I originally had a link to SUFK but when I clicked on it it brought me to some Donald Trump charity organization.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I have no moneyz. That is why I would be doing it. I have a choice between this or my mom's house.

Live at your mother's house, work, and then save some money.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you are seriously going to do this though, why not make it really interesting? Do it in Europe, so you get to experience different cultures, see historical sights, etc?

Not sure where you are now, but make your way to an east coast port city, say Annapolis, MD or Connecticut or somewhere like that and look for a captain delivering a boat to Europe and see if he'll sign you on as part of his crew. You'll get there free, or you might even make a few bucks on the way.

Helps if you know something about boats, but if not just be prepared to work pretty hard for a couple of weeks. You need to look like someone that the captain can trust and that he wouldn't mind spending two weeks with on a small boat...but if you can catch a ride you'll get to Europe for free and you might even learn a skill or two along the way.

I mean, if you're going for adventure, then go for adventure.

It will need to be pretty soon, though, because I expect that the last deliveries will get made around the first of June or shortly thereafter before the summer storm season kicks off.

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
I agree with Piobaire (that was really hard to type). Unless you can't find work, hate your mother and want a life of adventure and challenge.

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
Working on a ship is also a good idea. I have been at sea for most of my working life and love it but, I sail on a high speed pleasure boat.

Jekyll

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Originally Posted by hossoso
I agree with Piobaire (that was really hard to type). Unless you can't find work, hate your mother and want a life of adventure and challenge.

I don't hate my family, but living with them is increasingly difficult. And in a way I do want a life of adventure and challenge. I'm kind of a coward.

Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
Not sure where you are now, but make your way to an east coast port city, say Annapolis, MD or Connecticut or somewhere like that and look for a captain delivering a boat to Europe and see if he'll sign you on as part of his crew. You'll get there free, or you might even make a few bucks on the way.

Helps if you know something about boats, but if not just be prepared to work pretty hard for a couple of weeks. You need to look like someone that the captain can trust and that he wouldn't mind spending two weeks with on a small boat...but if you can catch a ride you'll get to Europe for free and you might even learn a skill or two along the way.

I'm terrified of water. I don't even go to the beach.

sonlegoman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to study in Berkeley and Berkeley is where all the runaways seem to settle because the city services are so generous. And walking by them daily and ignoring them gives me a certain perspective on them.

I can assure you that without money, this is a horrible way to "build character" or "see the world." Most likely, you will build a certain character or only see a certain perspective of the world.

But if you must, I would definitely recommend you be well prepared before you embark. Be prepared to stay in a single city for a long time earning enough to get the next bus ticket out and spending what you've accumulated to just get enough to eat and depleting what you've earned during a dry spell of day jobs. I have a friend who hitchhiked from LA to San Fran which is much smaller scale than what you're thinking of doing. He told me it took him an entire week just to get from LA to San Fran. People would pick him up and drop him off once their paths diverged. Then he would spend hours waiting for the next ride.

But I wish you luck. Write a book when you're done.

Tell us what you've done to prepare and what supplies you've got. Hoboing has come a long way since train jumping with a bindle.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I don't hate my family, but living with them is increasingly difficult. And in a way I do want a life of adventure and challenge. I'm kind of a coward.

You'll have to get over your cowardice if you want independence and/or adventure. Sorry to put it that way.

Jekyll

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
You'll have to get over your cowardice if you want independence and/or adventure. Sorry to put it that way.
Yeah, that's my point. This is kind of the ultimate test. I either come crawling back to my mom within a week, or I develop some maturity and become teh AWESOMEZ.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you do this, which I am not convinced is a good idea, put aside enough money to get to your families home from wherever you are likely to end up, keep some method of getting that money back well hidden about your person at all times.

Also think about finding research stations/communes/missions/aid missions that will give you bed and board if you work for them, do this instead of being a hobo, still plenty of opportunity to build character.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, that's my point. This is kind of the ultimate test.

Odds are, you'll adjust to your surroundings, and start to adopt the traits of those around you. the big question then becomes: where do you go from there? Let's say you live off the grid for a few years...then what? You've got little/no college, high school was a few years ago, maybe you're 22 now, no savings, no rental history, no credit...what then?

If you did it for a year to see if you can live off your wits, and then apply to college, then I doubt it would be a big issue, but you've got to stick to your plan.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MikeKirk