• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

High school

cheapmutha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hmmm... highschool. i went all day and did **** other than what i should have been doing. then i came home and skated till dark....

wait... thats what i do now, only i get laid more and make money doing it. highschool sucked.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went to a very tough, Spartan prep school that made a big deal of rustic, austere living, enduring hardship and discomfort, and there was a lot of corporal punishment.

A few true stories: A couple of cousins of mine who had been interned by the Japanese in concentration camps during WWII visited the school. They were shocked and said conditions in the Japanese concentration camp were markedly better.

A boy ran away from school and joined the Marines. He came back to visit and said he liked Marine boot camp better than the school...and this was in 1956, when boot camp was a good deal more brutal than today.

One time we played the local reform school. They were the guest team. One of the reform school inmates remarked, "Wow, what did you have to do to get sent HERE?"

Nonetheless, I think it inculcated many good qualities--a brotherhood forged in the community of a shared suffering, an appreciation of hearty manly camaraderie and virile pasttimes and a tremendous contempt for whiners and weaklings. Contempt for women was pretty common mindset as well.

By and large I was pretty cheerful there--as I am in all but the direst of circumstances--and enjoyed myself there--thought it vastly preferable to going to public school. Nonetheless, I was just as glad to graduate and be out of there.

Today it has changed very much. They admitted girls in the 1970s. Corporal punishment was ended long before that. Today there is sort of a liberal, eco-hippie ethos that pervades the school that is totally different from my day.

MrRogers

Reaction score
I went to a real tough prep school in ny and hated every minute of it

College was ok but I spent much of the time doing the things I never did in HS (read: sex and drugs)

Getting my masters was kinda fun, mostly kids who graduated from college and had no idea what they wanted to do so they stayed in school

I'm getting my PhD now and its real serious..statistically a class of 25 will only graduate 5-7 individuals so its alot of pressure in addition to working 2 jobs. I have no doubts ill get through it though.

MrR

aybojs

Reaction score
I wnt to an elite, ******* sell yourself for your mother's soul Ivy League school, and I still think Yon% of you prep school types are spoiled pieces of ****. Please, try living a humble means on a Princeton graduate salary. and I, despite being an alumnus, will be impressed.

mizanation

Reaction score
it's sad if you think high school was the best time of your life. each day gets better and better for me, no lie.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Aaron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aybojs
I wnt to an elite, ******* sell yourself for your mother's soul Ivy League school, and I still think Yon% of you prep school types are spoiled pieces of ****. Please, try living a humble means on a Princeton graduate salary. and I, despite being an alumnus, will be impressed.
Huh?

Goblin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aybojs
beavis.jpg

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrRogers
I'm getting my PhD now and its real serious..statistically a class of 25 will only graduate 5-7 individuals so its alot of pressure in addition to working 2 jobs. I have no doubts ill get through it though.

MrR

Jesus, what field are you in where only 20% of an entering PhD class ever finishes? I would think the number should be more like 80%. Are people coming in without funding and so drop for financial reasons? Or is your dept letting in inferior students to use them as TAs for a couple years, then sending them on their way after failing their comps?

b

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
high school sucked. College years were fun. A blur, but fun. Years in a US college on foriegn exchange rocked. Changed my life.

My personal vote for best years of your life are 25-30 (meaning I topped out a couple of months ago).

Was talking about this with Tom (tiger02) one night, talking about how he kinda missed the 20-25 yrs on army duty. A few of us were around at the time, and we were all like "dont worry about it, the next five are more fun"

Youre smarter, wealthier, more confident etc etc....

Yup, 25 thru 30 was fun.

Hawkeye

Reaction score
Pink: All I'm saying is that if I ever start referring to these as the best years of my life - remind me to kill myself.

I had an okay time in High School, really nothing compared to college. I went to a very small high school in a dull town with a very cliquey class that cared more about Abercrombie and Fitch than anything else. I hardly talk to anyone from high school anymore, maybe one or two people, all of the really good friends that I know I will remain friends with my whole life were made in college. I had such a good time in college, I stayed every summer just to work on campus during the day and drink all night, much better than HS by far.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
high school sucked. College years were fun. A blur, but fun. Years in a US college on foriegn exchange rocked. Changed my life.

My personal vote for best years of your life are 25-30 (meaning I topped out a couple of months ago).

Was talking about this with Tom (tiger02) one night, talking about how he kinda missed the 20-25 yrs on army duty. A few of us were around at the time, and we were all like "dont worry about it, the next five are more fun"

Youre smarter, wealthier, more confident etc etc....

Yup, 25 thru 30 was fun.

yeah, I spent the best years of my life on nightly ambushes and patrols, in clothing that was soaked with sweat, often sleeping on the ground, eating cold food that had been canned years before, literally ever day not sure if I was going to get back from that days activities. honestly, I miss it often, although at the time I didn't think I ever would. but I missed the whole party scene that teenagers and college students enjoy, missed out on drugs (for the most part) had extremly little sex, and very little fun.

in terms of high school - I still have a half dozen friends from high school. my high school life wasn't fun, but it wasn't too bad, either. I would recomend, however, not rushing out, unless you are going to do somethign worth while - travel, do an internship, take a course you wouldn't normally take, etc. starting universty 6 months early, or a year early, isn't worth it.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I've noticed high schoolers don't appreciate late Dirk Bogarde films or fine vintage items.

They seem uniformly cheap in their pursuits.

Their tendency to appreciate EARLY Dirk Bogarde films is, indeed, quite unsettling.
tounge.gif

"He's like, so cool in Simbad but Death in Venice sucked, what a ******!!"
"Yeah, whatever..."

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics