1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

High school

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Oddly Familiar, Aug 30, 2006.

1. seanchai

seanchai Senior member

I "dropped out" of high school after 10th grade to start college early. I enjoyed high school but mine in particular wasn't very challenging. Still, most of my best friends today, five years on, were friends I made in high school. I'm a fifth-year senior in college now and college has been way better than high school, with the exception of high school swimming, which was totally awesome.

2. dusty

dusty Senior member

Nothing beats that feeling at 2:00 on a Thursday, with nothing to do until Sunday night or Monday morning.

Oh man you are so right.

3. Aaron

Aaron Senior member

Nothing beats that feeling at 2:00 on a Thursday, with nothing to do until Sunday night or Monday morning. Vast expanses of free time are a thing of the past for me.
    Loved that feeling, in my senior year I only went to school on Tuesday night and then on Wednesday and Thursday all day. Looking back on it I didn't do enough road tripping. HS was an down and then up for me. I started with few friends and being very uninterested in what typical high school students did. As the years progressed I became more involved with student government/acting/sports etc. and made a lot aquantinces in different cliques. I've always been that person that stood just "outside" of things. I was also lucky enough to start some really close friendships with a few people that I still hang out with every chance I get. I chose to go to university in another province and it was one of the best decisions I've ever made. It sucked initially but I found my niche and had the opportunity to grow leaps and bounds. So in short, HS was ok, Uni was amazing, and now I'm looking forward to seeing what's next. I've noticed that the most interesting people I've met always describe high school as "hell" or some variation on the theme. Most felt like they never totally fit in. A.

4. CoryB

CoryB Senior member

I`ve been pondering this same question. I'm currently starting Grade 12, but I do my HS through distance education (the new name for traditional correspondence), meaning I get assignments and textbooks sent out and then return them completed. This serves to remove me from others my age and pretty much all the benefits of HS, e.g. clubs, sports, extra curricular activities, hot girls. It allow would allow me to do my school very quickly, if I wasn't so lazy (another student I know is 12 and in Grade 11). I glad that I'm intelligent enough that school is incredibly easy; it overcomes my extreme laziness. I would doubt that I spend more than 30mins on school a day when it is averaged out and still get 90%+ grades I lasted about one month in an advance program in Grade 9. I was in an advanced program through elementary school that had several math genious that were top in the country, national level chess players that went to worlds, national level science nerds, etc. I was spoiled with being around brilliance. The one distinct memory of my Grade 9 "advanced program" was the teacher explaining to a student why she couldn't be in two classes in the same period.The general level of stupidity of teenagers surrounding any topic that doesn't involved Paris Hilton, Jessica Simpson, or someother celebrity of the moment is unbearable for me. So would others advise me to go back to "real" school for my last year and have grad, prom, and the rest? I'm sure most of you have/had equally unusual interests compared with the traditional teen. For example, yesterday I had a fun night of playing Scrabble [​IMG].

5. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I've noticed high schoolers don't appreciate late Dirk Bogarde films or fine vintage items.

They seem uniformly cheap in their pursuits.

6. VKK3450

VKK3450 Senior member

I enjoyed HS, but would not call it the greatest time of my life. I guess it was fine for teenage excess, angst, idiocy, etc...

HS was too homogenous to give me what I needed, and my true growth came from university and travels.

I feel like now I am coming into the pinnacle of my life with both excitement and opportunities available to me

K

7. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

I liked high school better than college, but I went to boarding school which is likely a very different experience.

8. redcaimen

redcaimen Senior member

For the self described "inherently elegant", im betting highschool could prove something of a challenge.

9. alois

alois Member

I would have to say being a kid was the best time of my life. Think about it you have absolutely nothing to worry about except playing with your friends.

10. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    All this talk about whether or not high school is "best" is rather depressing. One needs to take every single day — be it in high school, university, at work or play — as an opportunity to seek wisdom, to do good, to love, and most of all, to have fun.

If you can't have fun, stay in freaking bed.

1 person likes this.
  11. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

All this talk about whether or not high school is "best" is rather depressing. One needs to take every single day "” be it in high school, university, at work or play "” as an opportunity to seek wisdom, to do good, to love, and most of all, to have fun.

If you can't have fun, stay in freaking bed.

I like it.

12. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

Some people get out of bed to bed.

13. chrisc

chrisc Well-Known Member

I generally found high school to be 'eh'... Part of the reason being that I moved from my original home and in turn going to a different school during the last 2 years.

One thing I always regretted was being preoccupied with the thought of being 'unprepared' for college and thinking that if you couldn't get the good grades in junior and senior year, your fucked for life. Which all turned out to be completely untrue.

If I ever visit a high school and get a question like, "Hey mister, if you could go back to your high school years would you study harder and stay after school joining useless clubs that have no real leadership?"

My answer would be: "Fuck no!"

I would tell them to enjoy themselves as much as possible and not to worry too much about the future. You only live once and you can never go back once your younger years are over. Everything will be okay if you just make 'smart' decisions along with using your common sense.

I'll always remember my first day of freshman year when the home room teacher told us that just because it's our first year in high school doesn't mean who shouldn't slack off from doing hard work. In fact, he said, a senior once told him that if he could do something all over again, it would be freshman year.

Sure pal... What a gip!

14. Violinist

Violinist Senior member

highschool was incredibly fun at times... but, if that's going to be the best time of my life, I'll probably commit suicide.

15. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

God damn I hated high school. Every year since I graduated has been exponentially better than the year before.

16. Homme

Homme Senior member

When i first started uni i was constantly thinking how much better high school was .... then the extent of my freedom clicked and i never looked back. I had a decent time at high school ... favoured by teachers, wide circle of friends etc.... uni is better though.

17. Oldboy

Oldboy Senior member

I hated high school. Too much emphasis on trying to fit in and be cool. When I got to college it was refreshing to be around more independent and free-spirited people, although of course there were those who still had the high school mentality.

18. Bradford

Bradford Senior member

I attended my 20-year high school reunion last year, so I'm a bit removed from the actual thing, but I must say I enjoyed high school.

I liked the learning, the opportunity to play sports and the ability to be in organizations and most importantly, I made a group of friends who are still my best friends today.

However, we don't sit around rehashing high school memories - we've all grown, gone to college and almost all of us have post-graduate degrees, gotten married and started families. So conversations and get togethers these days are very different, but we all still make an effort to see each other on a regular basis - despite the fact that we now live in many different cities around the country.

19. Ramses

Ramses Senior member

I hated high school. Too much emphasis on trying to fit in and be cool. When I got to college it was refreshing to be around more independent and free-spirited people, although of course there were those who still had the high school mentality.

I had the same experience only in college comformity was very important-if you did not think the same way about what you are to do in college and how to behave you were wrong. In college fitting in is was very important-looking like a college student was important, drink, etc all very important in college or you pay the price

20. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I had the same experience only in college comformity was very important-if you did not think the same way about what you are to do in college and how to behave you were wrong. In college fitting in is was very important-looking like a college student was important, drink, etc all very important in college or you pay the price
    So what's "paying the price"?