• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

High school

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
All this talk about whether or not high school is "best" is rather depressing. One needs to take every single day "” be it in high school, university, at work or play "” as an opportunity to seek wisdom, to do good, to love, and most of all, to have fun.

If you can't have fun, stay in freaking bed.

I like it.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some people get out of bed to bed.

chrisc

Reaction score
I generally found high school to be 'eh'... Part of the reason being that I moved from my original home and in turn going to a different school during the last 2 years.

One thing I always regretted was being preoccupied with the thought of being 'unprepared' for college and thinking that if you couldn't get the good grades in junior and senior year, your fucked for life. Which all turned out to be completely untrue.

If I ever visit a high school and get a question like, "Hey mister, if you could go back to your high school years would you study harder and stay after school joining useless clubs that have no real leadership?"

My answer would be: "**** no!"

I would tell them to enjoy themselves as much as possible and not to worry too much about the future. You only live once and you can never go back once your younger years are over. Everything will be okay if you just make 'smart' decisions along with using your common sense.

I'll always remember my first day of freshman year when the home room teacher told us that just because it's our first year in high school doesn't mean who shouldn't slack off from doing hard work. In fact, he said, a senior once told him that if he could do something all over again, it would be freshman year.

Sure pal... What a gip!

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
highschool was incredibly fun at times... but, if that's going to be the best time of my life, I'll probably commit suicide.

Brian SD

Reaction score
God damn I hated high school. Every year since I graduated has been exponentially better than the year before.

Homme

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When i first started uni i was constantly thinking how much better high school was .... then the extent of my freedom clicked and i never looked back. I had a decent time at high school ... favoured by teachers, wide circle of friends etc.... uni is better though.

Oldboy

Reaction score
I hated high school. Too much emphasis on trying to fit in and be cool. When I got to college it was refreshing to be around more independent and free-spirited people, although of course there were those who still had the high school mentality.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
I attended my 20-year high school reunion last year, so I'm a bit removed from the actual thing, but I must say I enjoyed high school.

I liked the learning, the opportunity to play sports and the ability to be in organizations and most importantly, I made a group of friends who are still my best friends today.

However, we don't sit around rehashing high school memories - we've all grown, gone to college and almost all of us have post-graduate degrees, gotten married and started families. So conversations and get togethers these days are very different, but we all still make an effort to see each other on a regular basis - despite the fact that we now live in many different cities around the country.

Ramses

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Oldboy
I hated high school. Too much emphasis on trying to fit in and be cool. When I got to college it was refreshing to be around more independent and free-spirited people, although of course there were those who still had the high school mentality.

I had the same experience only in college comformity was very important-if you did not think the same way about what you are to do in college and how to behave you were wrong. In college fitting in is was very important-looking like a college student was important, drink, etc all very important in college or you pay the price

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ramses
I had the same experience only in college comformity was very important-if you did not think the same way about what you are to do in college and how to behave you were wrong. In college fitting in is was very important-looking like a college student was important, drink, etc all very important in college or you pay the price
So what's "paying the price"?

stach

Reaction score
I prefered college to h/s, maybe because I grew up in the country and it was difficult getting around. I had my own place for college (no parents!) and could do whatever I wanted (heh heh!).

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
So what's "paying the price"?

Being lonely.

Goblin

Reaction score
I graduated high school in 1987, when I was 15. My life would have been fucked up at that point anyway, whether or not I'd been advanced two grades in my prior academic career - my home life was absolutely hellish, horrorshow ****. However, I can't say being promoted ahead of my age peers did me any good. It short-circuited my aspirations to baseball and wrestling. I also started drinking and abusing drugs, hard, when I was 12 (my freshman year), and I didn't really stop until 1997. By way of overcompensation, I tried to push everything harder and be more of a "rebel" than other people in my grade, and that started a spiral that lasted for years.

I did get along with nearly everyone in my high school. I wouldn't say I was popular, but I had friends among the motorheads, the burnouts, the nerds, and the jocks, and only really clashed with some of the more narrow-minded rednecks. I was just another screw-up trying to get through. That said, I was a total spaz, and I'm still embarrassed to talk to anyone who remembers me from back then.

I still fall off the wagon occasionally - July 2006 was a pretty bad month for me, for instance, and I split up with my wife for two weeks. Long story. Long, bad story. Not just the drinking. Not even *mainly* the drinking. Just bad **** all around.

So, my high school years fucked me up for life, but less because of high school itself and more because of the other **** going on in my life. My undergrad years were kind of messed up, too, but much more fun. It took me 11 years to get my first BA, after numerous plunges into blissful near-oblivion, but I did have a blast. I hated every second of law school.

For some reason, my 20th reunion is next month, even though I graduated in 1987. I'd kind of like to go. I bear no grudges. But there really aren't that many people from the class of 1987 with whom I share any special bond - the people I really hung out with, the girls I dated, etc. were mostly from the class of 1989, since they were my age. So I'll probably sit it out, since it's about 1,000 miles away and I haven't been back to my home state in about ten years. Anyone I really want to visit, I'll just visit under other circumstances.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you are American you will be in permanent highschool state of mind for the rest of your life. So, I would not worry about it.

Reaction score
Mathilda: "Is life always this hard or just when you're a kid?"
Leon: "Always this hard"

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads