• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

high calorie balanced diet on a budget?

iroh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i have the ectomorph body type and would need about 3000-4000 calories daily to gain some weight. not usually a problem since i can eat that much daily easily, however money becomes an issue and i usually revert back to 2000-3000 calories daily after a week or two since i can't stand spending so much money on food. how can i get a high calorie balanced diet (carbs, protien, veggies, dairy) with minimal fat and minimal cost? i also want some variety, eating the same or similar foods daily would get me tired of it quickly.

for carbs i figure it will be pasta or rice, but i am really open to suggestions. suggesting some different types of sauces to put on the pasta or rice would help too. how about for other foods? suggested meal plans would help too.

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cover everything in olive oil. You want to maximize calories, but you want to minimize fat? wat.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There's no reason to limit fat intake. Fat doesn't make you fat, excess calories make you fat.

Natural peanut butter is good for adding calories.

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also agree with the peanut butter, easy to eat a couple scoops of it and get yourself a couple hundred calories and 15g of protein.

Kajak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you do GOMAD, you will ACTUALLY understand what "to **** a brick" means.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
get a few roasting chickens.

you can break it up (tons of video on youtube) and then cook individual parts. or you can just roast the whole damn thing. in either case you can use the chicken backs for some stock to make consomme and stock and you can use those to make sauces and soups with leftovers. freeze chickens you dont need and take them out of the fridge in the morning. you can also save the fat (pour over cheesecloth and a strainer) and use that for cooking. i also like the leave the skin on the parts, salt it, leave uncovered in the fridge overnight and you get this perfectly seasoned part of chicken and the skin shatters when you bite into it.. delicious.

stock is super easy. any combination of carrots, onions, celery, leeks. heat those in oil. add roasted chicken backs. add filtered water, a bay leaf or two, and mixed herbs. a packet of herbs go a long way. lasts me a week or a week and a half. to make consomme (clarified stock) put it in the fridge. skim off fat. freeze it. then take the frozen stock out. put over cheesecloth and strainer and the gelatin will clarify the stock.

get a bunch of seasonal veggies at the beginning of the week. roast and pickle all you can. store them in containers cheap restaurant to go containers. pickling is super easy (just boil a brine of salt and sugar and herbs and things then add to raw veggies in containers). to roast veggies add salt, pepper, and oil and stick in oven. farmers markets can actually be a bargain. if you get a csa you support local farms and you get a good amount of veggies. the variety also forces you to try different things.

all you have to do then is cook the chicken, heat the veggies, make some sauce (stock plus frond works). or you can get some tomato based pasta sauces or salsa and use those for sauces.

i live basically like that and i can go down to 50 bucks a week on food and i dont spend much time cooking. maybe an hour or two on the weekends (i also baby sit stock while i do other things, but you're not actively doing things). 30 minutes at most on weekdays (mostly with chicken). i can make do with ten minutes if i'm not using chicken

a good breakfast is an omelette (love making french omelettes) made with lots of butter and sometimes herbs. a salad from a salad bag plus a quick vinaigrette and you're good. or fry up some bacon or sausages. a good omelette will take 5 minutes total time including prep. a quick vinaigrette takes seconds to make

my biggest intake of carbs is beer which i have one or two daily.

i dont like gomad because it makes you so uncomfortable.

another thing i like doing is making chili. super easy. get some meat. chuck is good. various ground meats is good. when you're home heat some water. add dried chilis. reconstitute for 30 minutes. blend. meanwhile brown the meat add chopped veggies. add stock. add chili. add whatever seasonings you have. make a big batch, freeze it, and all you have to do is nuke it.

frozen fish is also good value. they generally come in vacuum sealed packages. i basically heat salted water add frozen fish packages and blanch some veggies in the same pot. wing the cooking time. cut packages. add veggies. add whatever sauce.

Last edited:

ZombieFlynn

Reaction score
another thing i like doing is making chili. super easy. get some meat. chuck is good. various ground meats is good. when you're home heat some water. add dried chilis. reconstitute for 30 minutes. blend. meanwhile brown the meat add chopped veggies. add stock. add chili. add whatever seasonings you have.
Yes to chili. This is the chili recipe I've been using: http://www.food.com/recipe/low-carb-chili-67654

I usually double all the ingredient portions so I get to cook 2kg of meat in one go. Eat it with rice if you want some carbs.

iroh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
how does the price of ground beef compare to chicken? if i recall correctly it is a bit more expensive...

here is a list of foods i made up so far:

pasta
rice
chicken
ground beef
eggs
bacon
potatoes
fish
milk
beans
margarine or butter

Last edited:

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
a whole chicken costs 5 bucks. you can get it roasted at most supermarkets for the same or slightly more.

80/20 ground beef can be pretty cheap.

i would also use real butter over margarine

iroh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
im gonna have to check on that, i live in canada and food is $$$ here

ok, just got back from the super market, a 1.2kg whole chicken here is $6. pretty damn small for a chicken, please tell me there are bigger chickens out there, 1.2kg, that is 2.6 lb, i could eat 2 of those each day easily, for lunch and for dinner, $12*30 days that is already $360 a month for chicken, talk about expensive.

still gonna keep looking for cheaper sources

Last edited:

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
that's pretty small and expensive for a chicken. might be more like cornish game hen territory

look for turkeys then. much bigger. might be cheaper

Last edited:

delirium

Reaction score
Well you can eat like half and then make the rest of your meals your starchy carbs (rice, bread, pasta, potatoes...) and vegetables.

Most chicken I see is around $3 / lb anyways.

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you have a Sam's Club or Costco? Big ass bags of chicken breasts are clutch.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads