• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hickey Freeman to Open Store in Downtown Manhattan

Mark Seitelman

Reaction score
I read today that Hickey Freeman is going to open a store at 111 Broadway where I have my office. The deal has been signed, and construction should start soon.

Hickey is moving into space that Brooks Bros. initially occupied when it opened its first, full-scale, downtown shop and before it decamped to 1 Liberty Plaza.

I have not worn Hickey for a few years. How is the quality? I have read some damning posts in this and other fora about MTM experiences. However, two sage clothing people that I respect have told me many times that Hickey's product is the best value in American, higher-end clothing. What do you think?

Thank you for your responses.

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think HF suits represent some of the best value in the American market. I think they are better than the American made RTW Brooks Golden Fleece. HF has a new model called the Madison, which replaced the very broad shouldered Boardroom model The Madison is a lot more streamlined in comparison. Definitely worth checking out.

regularjoe

Reaction score
Construction wise, HF is solid - full canvas, etc.

Style wise, it's nothing special - sack shape. Generally no pick stitching or any other details.

They have a low end line called Hickey Freeman LTD which you should stay away from but everything else is pretty solid, especially on a discount. Full retail, my personal choice would be Corneliani or Canali which is in a similar price bracket and a tad more stylish (w/o being crazy).

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Madison is an excellent cut -- fairly sloped, lightly padded shoulder with some roping at the sleeve head (at least the one I own), beautiful lapel shape, and slightly trimmer fit through the torso. I still needed it taken in at the waist (like all my jackets), but after that my only complaint would be that the armholes aren't high enough.

ROI

Reaction score
I have conflicting impressions of Hickey-Freeman.  Though I haven't tried on a Madison, yet, the Boardroom model was overdue for retirement.  In general, Hickey has updated its modeling over the past few years; it is not as cautiously mid-American as it had been.  At the same time, its cloth selection has become distinctly Italian at the expense of the great English and Scottish mills it once trumpeted.
The area that has impressed me is the dress furnishings.  Though I'm philosophically opposed to brand-name makers outsourcing part of their line (Hickey's ties are made all over the western world.), the ties and shirts (by Royal, a Canadian brother company under Hartmarx ownership) look better every season.  A spring furnishings catalogue I received recently has some great-looking items, particularly new spread and cutaway collar models.  The ties I have in my closet (some Italian, some domestic) are from the classic end of the style spectrum, but are creatively colored and patterned.
Sadly, I don't have much good to say about the outsourced sportswear line.  The quality and taste seem inconsistent and occasionally perplexing.
I am curious to see the "Hickey" sub-line, debuted last year at Bergdorf's.  It's supposed to be east coast American classic, a look that has never been associated with the Hickey Freeman name.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tried on an HF Canterbury model yesterday at my local Filene's Basement.  Nice three-button, side-vent model, a bit on the boxy side.  Quality seemed on par with Zegna, Corneliani, and Canali, although I am skeptical at Filene's claim that the retail is around $1595.

kitonbrioni

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For whatever reason, I'm not too attracted to Hickey Freeman, but yesterday while in NM several sales people complimented the HF 3/4 length cotton raincoat with patch-pockets I was wearing. It was made in Italy--i.e., it's got a cellphone pocket inside--and seems of high quality. I don't have any HF suits but I've got a HF cashmere sportscoat and several leather jackets.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads