• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hickey Freeman Milburn II vs. Suitsupply Napoli vs. J.Crew Factory Thompson Navy Suits

aceworth2

Reaction score
I thought I'd share my recent suit purchases with everyone as there are probably others in similar situations. I was looking for a navy suit to wear occasionally at weddings, interviews etc and I live in a town with only your basic suit stores (Mens Warehouse, Macy's, Nordstrom). The latter being fine, but too expensive for my needs. So to get a decent quality suit under my budget of $500 I had to go shopping online. I purchased 3 suits all at the same time to compare. Here's what I bought:

- Hickey Freeman Milburn II Navy Worsted Wool Classic Fit from Saks Off 5th - Made in USA - Price $399 after tax which included a $30 off coupon
- Suitsupply Napoli Italian Wool in Navy - Made in China from Italian Wool - Price $499 (No tax in CA)
- J.Crew Factory Thompson in Worsted Wool Navy - Made in China - Price $273 after tax which included a 20% off birthday coupon

(I almost bought a new Ludlow Traveler suit on eBay for around $350, but I decided the pants were too skinny, ie. fashion forward, and that I'd probably look ridiculous wearing it in 5-10 years.)

For starters all 3 companies have similar delivery times, the quickest was SS and the longest was JCF. SS's packaging was extremely protective where the suit came in a huge box and was in dry clean condition with no wrinkles. The Milburn from Saks and the Thompson from JCF came in a much smaller boxs, had a few threads and random hairs on the suit, and needs to be dry cleaned. The Thompson came in a cheap suit bag.

Right off the bat I noticed that the Milburn sleeves are noticeably longer than the Napoli by about an inch for the same size, so I had to order a Napoli in a 40L. It's hard to say which one is more true to size as I am a newb, but the Ted Baker ($700) suits I tried on at Nordstrom seemed to fit the same as the Napoli. So signs point to the Milburn sleeves running longer.

The Napoli pants were hemmed, the Milburn's were not. The Thompson pants were already pre-sized.

The Napoli color is slightly lighter than the Milburn, but both look nice. The Thompson is more of a grey-blue than a navy. My H&M navy blazer that I bought last year for $70 looks better than the Thompson.

The fabric on both the Milburn and Napoli seem like good quality. The Thompson feels cheap in comparison.

The Napoli has pick stitching, the Milburn and Thompson do not, which is more a matter of preference.

The Napoli is slightly slimmer around the chest and has higher armpits(?) And the Napoli pants are also slightly slimmer. The Thompson pants are the slimmest.

The Napoli has functioning sleeve buttons, the Milburn and Thompson do not. The Napoli's buttons are nicer.

The Napoli has slightly wider lapels than the Milburn. The Thompson has narrow lapels.

So all in all the Napoli and the Milburn seem very similar in most regards. If they were both the same price and both made in the USA, I'd pick the Napoli just because their attention to detail seems better (buttons, packaging, etc). But if I can get the Milburn altered for say less than $150 where I can bring up the armpits, take in the chest and hem and maybe taper the pants, then I would be spending the same amount of cash and supporting the USA at the same time.

The J.Crew Factory falls pretty far behind the other two, but that is to be expected for $130 and $230 less. I guess it depends on what you need it for, and how long you want it to last.

Update: I went with the HF Milburn and it cost $160 at my local tailor to get it completely chopped up. So $560OTD. If the tailor does a good job I can foresee wearing this suit for the next 10+ years.

Last edited:

aceworth2

Reaction score

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You didn't do bad, but ebay and B&S subforum are your friend next time. A lot more bang for your buck

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads