• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I Need Your Advice on Suit Pairing!

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

So I have a wedding coming up soon and had to blow the dust off the Suit Supply Napoli. Given my affinity for donuts, I can no longer fit the trousers. Instead of buying a new suit, I started to think that maybe this is an opportunity to mix and match and play around with the different combinations.

I was thinking of olive or brown/taupe trousers to go with the navy Napoli suit jacket. Only thing is, I Know the Napoli is a classic maybe slightly conservative cut. It seems that the suit jacket would limit the trouser materials to wool only. Would olive or brown/taupe trousers be too informal and therefore cause a clash between the pant and jacket?

The shirt would be regular white shirt with a burgundy tie, medium or dark brown belt and shoes.

Thank you for any advice!

rjc149

Reaction score
I'm not well-versed in pairing orphaned suit jackets with odd trousers because I never do it, but it's my understanding that one should avoid mixing jackets and trousers from different suits. Anyone is welcome to contend or correct me on this.

In your shoes, I would either replace the trousers for the Napoli suit with the matching material and color, have your non-fitting trousers taken out to fit, or go with a sport jacket that's meant to be worn with odd trousers.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you have no suits that fit you properly now, I’d suggest that the best thing would be to buy a new suit. You are likely to need one for a future weeding, funeral, job interview, etc. It’s very unlikely that you’ll be able to find matching trousers in the identical fabric (must be identical, not just close) but you could ask SuitSupply if that’s possible. But if neither of the above is an option, the safest thing is to pair the jacket with a pair of mid-grey wool trousers. Brown or olive would be okay but not my first choice for a wedding.

The Napoli navy jacket will pass as an odd jacket to almost everyone; few will notice that it might be orphaned. If you really wanted, you could switch the buttons out for dark brown horn.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads