• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just saw that. I wonder who is making them. First look of the soles reminded me of C&J or Cheaney... likely the latter from history.

Personally was hoping for AS...

NJE66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just saw that. I wonder who is making them. First look of the soles reminded me of C&J or Cheaney... likely the latter from history.

Personally was hoping for AS...

No brainer for this models I think (higher standard for WS, guess Imperial specifications)

https://www.herringshoes.co.uk/wildsmith/niven_wholecuts/chestnut-calf

https://www.herringshoes.co.uk/herring/rushden-ii_brogues/mahogany-calf

https://www.herringshoes.co.uk/wildsmith/guinness_boots/espresso-calf

https://www.cheaney.co.uk/mens-c48/...double-buckle-boot-in-black-calf-leather-p440

But there are another maker as well it seems, i'm not sure if that makes sense though.

Last edited:

othertravel

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I guessed Cheaney as well when I saw the pic. But is the Herring model made to a high standard? Aside from closed channel soles, don't see anything else that would make it more expensive than the cheaney model.

Edit:

Look at the script on the bottom of these shoes from C&J for cleverley, and compare them to the Wildsmith model.

https://www.mrporter.com/en-ca/mens/george_cleverley/thomas-leather-monk-strap-shoes/929890?ppv=2

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was hoping the new Wildsmith line would just be a reintroduction of the old 1966 lasts for their anniversary. Would have been easier to have done it as the most recent edition of Wildsmith was made by AS, as was their 1966 range. Oh well, maybe AS had other ideas...

Wingtip77

Reaction score
Definitely Cheaney, and a slight anticlimax. Nothing much different than their current offerings. More like a rebrand than something new.

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Definitely Cheaney, and a slight anticlimax. Nothing much different than their current offerings. More like a rebrand than something new.

Yes, I am also rather disappointed like you, SuitedDx and I was hoping them to be made in AS.

But as you said, they definitely look like Cheaney, with Cheaney shapes.

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was hoping the new Wildsmith line would just be a reintroduction of the old 1966 lasts for their anniversary. Would have been easier to have done it as the most recent edition of Wildsmith was made by AS, as was their 1966 range. Oh well, maybe AS had other ideas...

I also realised that Herring charges 395 pounds for their Premier range by AS, which I believe is rather steep considering that AS Exclusives are only 420 pounds with channelled oak bark sole. Alfred Sargent is also no longer a brand on the homepage.

Wingtip77

Reaction score
However, I will say that Herring were my entry point into what has become a big part of my life, my love of shoes. The shoes I wore for my wedding were purchased from them. Their customer service is excellent, and I wish them well with this new venture.

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also realised that Herring charges 395 pounds for their Premier range by AS, which I believe is rather steep considering that AS Exclusives are only 420 pounds with channelled oak bark sole. Alfred Sargent is also no longer a brand on the homepage.
I think AS is going back to their old business model of just producing for others (e.g., Brooks Brothers, Herring, etc.) and limit their own "name" to Bowen (who is a part owner). This likely gives the merchants like Herring the ability to dictate price points.

I really hope this model works for AS as I've been loyal to them, even after moving up to G&G for most of my shoes. Maybe for others Cheaney works but their lasts tend to run voluminous and large and since they usually end at 6F, it doesn't afford me the option for 5.5F. I think @wurger, you feel my pain on this.

The only thing on the current line that looks interesting to me is the sweeping monk; other designs are heavy on the adelaides which I think lose to those in the market like the G&G StJ, AS Moore, and C&J Westbourne.

patliean1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who else besides G&G and AS does oak tanned soles?

Wingtip77

Reaction score
It seems that Alfred Sargent don’t exist as a brand in their own right. They have a factory that is owned by a holding company in the UK, but they are not interested in being a customer facing shoe maker in the same way that C&J, Edward Green, Loake, etc, have realigned themselves as.

That’s up to them, I suppose, but i see it as an opportunity missed.

patliean1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads