• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HERE AND NOW

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just ordered these neat Rota summer pants.

Looking seriously at this suit but not sure I’ll have occasion to wear it. All my suits currently languishing unused in closet.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Very nice suit @smittycl ! Well if you buy it you could play in the New Friday Challenge "Summer in the city" i guess...
Now of course if you don't have other occasions to wear it...

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
It is a vast subject Byrone.
If you are not really interested in MA-1s, and if we only keep the models that are still worn and became Classics (be it repros or updated versions or "takes") i think we can narrow the search to 3 models.

The B-15 ( i think @mhip jacket is a version of one (?), that's why i start with it) was producted as a replacement of the A-2 (IIRC). Made in synthetic material it had a synthetic fur collar. It seems to be quite fashionable these days, as it is made by several companies from cheap repros to more refined, elongated versions in nice materials.

The A-1 is one of the first Flight jackets. Lindbergh wore one. It has a lovely design, and is the only one that uses buttons and not a zipper.
Still produced today by several makes, the most famous version is made by the Italian brand Valstar under the name "Valstarino". It is a jacket often seen on SF (thinking for example of @EFV, @Gerry Nelson, @macjedi among others: pictures welcome!)
It is really the hell of a jacket, it exists in a vaste array of material and colours and the price is rather steep. The suede and leather version are beautiful.
On my wish-list.

The A-2 is the most famous Leather flight jacket (think WW2 toTop Gun - although it is probbly a later version Cruise is wearing). Usually it comes in brown leather but there are variations.
I never owned one, but i think it has a removable fur collar (on certain versions at least). It has a timeless design and is still producted by a lot of brands from big compagnies to smaller ones.

So just my two cents. There are a lot of other models (some much warmer). But i would say those 3 models are never out of fashion and fit in "Here and now".

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are lots of types of Bomber jackets in lots of materials.
I dont think that they look great on bigger blokes or older blokes,in fact 'age appropriate' applies to lots of styles but its a bit of a taboo subject on other threads.

tbh these days I would be more likely to wear a Harrington style jacket,works better with trousers or chinos imo and probably better suited to an older bloke (like me) again they dont look good if your'e bigger and ffs if you are an old chap dont wear them with jeans as you will look ridiculous and/or having some kind of 'crisis'.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Here and now...
20200711_135934.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads