• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HERE AND NOW

Swampster

Reaction score
Chinos, what are they cotton trousers or cotton jeans?
Should they be pressed with a crease or ironed flat?
How smart can they be worn ? with a Blazer,shirt and tie ?
When could you wear them and when should you definitely not wear them ?
Cotton trousers.
Normally flat
I will sometimes wear with a tie but usually something informal like a square end knitted
Worn for work most often. Khaki usually in late spring to early autumn but various other colours through the year as long as it isn't too cold.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As Clouseau's picture shows Chinos were worn in WW2 and afterwards,however they were very baggy and loose,perhaps the first time I saw slimmer fitting Chinos was in the film The Great Escape when Steve Mcqueen wears them with a leather flying jacket.

I have Chinos that take a crease for 'smart casual' I could wear them with shirt,tie and Blazer.
I also have Chinos that are ironed flat and I usually wear them in a very casual way (with Loafers) instead of jeans,in fact I also have Tan jeans (Lee) and some Sand coloured Wrangler in Bedford cord which are even more casual than the Chinos I suppose.

On the WW2 subject does anyone know if there were jackets of the same material as the Chinos worn ? possibly by USAAF officers.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wearing linen jacket from Private White VC over knitted t-shirt from The Anthology. Both seriously discounted now with free shipping.

IMG_0881.jpg

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
@cerneabbas they wore Chino shirts with the Chino trousers.

chino-militaire.jpg

Most possibly some officers had Chino jackets made too i suppose, here is an example pre-WW2, from 1932:

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
@cerneabbas you said you appreciated trousers probably a bit slimmer than the other posters here, you should try then the Uniqlo "vintage fit" Chinos.
I am really happy with them, surprised by the quality (especially for the price), and the fit is pretty flattering (will try to take a pic) and slim (but not too slim) à la Steve McQueen. Sometimes Uniqlo really gets it right.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This one is not bad either !

View attachment 1427721
I suppose that 'Ivy' covers a lot of different clothes and shoes,quite a lot of my clothes and shoes could be classed as 'Ivy' although that wasnt why I bought them.
I think that a fair bit of it is timeless and appropriate for older and younger blokes it also ticks the box for 'smart casual' imo (although I dislike the expression).

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Excellent look ! FP Harrington...
FP shirt ?
M&S or JL trousers ?
Sebagos (or Weejuns) ?
Sorry,yes FP MiE Harrington
Gant Academic OCBD
John Lewis cotton trousers,just bought in sale and need taking up an inch or so.
Sebago Legacy
Inspired by your post from the Japanese book.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads