• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help with Something re: International Purchase and VAT

BomTrady

Reaction score
I am hoping someone can help me make sense of this. I've made purchases from this Naples-based manufacturer of tailored clothing for years. I am in the US and over the years, I've paid a significant amount of duties via DHL to US Customs each and every time I've made purchases through this merchant because the merchant tells Customs that VAT is excluded - as is duly noted on his webpage (below). However, I just paid attention to this contradiction - this is what's on the merchant's website:

FOR EU CUSTOMER ALL TAXES ARE INCLUDED AND FOR NON-EU CUSTOMERS: PRICE IS ALREADY EXCL. 22% VAT FREE WORLDWIDE EXPRESS SHIPPING FROM 600,00 €

Now, the only EU sales taxes I know about are VAT, but I am certainly no international tax expert. So, if the merchant is charging price X for everyone EU and US, but that same price X includes taxes for EU, but the same price X excludes VAT for non-EU - if I am interpreting this correctly - how does it make sense?

Is this merchant merely saying I charge non-EU customers more for the same product or are 'taxes" paid by EU and VAT excluded to non-EU refer to two separate kinds of taxes? If I am paying taxes in EU, I don't believe I have to pay again in the US. In fact, I should be able to get a refund of the VAT and choose to pay taxes in the US if I choose (I thought anyway). I don't plan to do anything aboiut this, but I am curious if anyone can reconcile the disclsoure.

Thanks, all.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am hoping someone can help me make sense of this. I've made purchases from this Naples-based manufacturer of tailored clothing for years. I am in the US and over the years, I've paid a significant amount of duties via DHL to US Customs each and every time I've made purchases through this merchant because the merchant tells Customs that VAT is excluded - as is duly noted on his webpage (below). However, I just paid attention to this contradiction - this is what's on the merchant's website:

FOR EU CUSTOMER ALL TAXES ARE INCLUDED AND FOR NON-EU CUSTOMERS: PRICE IS ALREADY EXCL. 22% VAT FREE WORLDWIDE EXPRESS SHIPPING FROM 600,00 €

Now, the only EU sales taxes I know about are VAT, but I am certainly no international tax expert. So, if the merchant is charging price X for everyone EU and US, but that same price X includes taxes for EU, but the same price X excludes VAT for non-EU - if I am interpreting this correctly - how does it make sense?

Is this merchant merely saying I charge non-EU customers more for the same product or are 'taxes" paid by EU and VAT excluded to non-EU refer to two separate kinds of taxes? If I am paying taxes in EU, I don't believe I have to pay again in the US. In fact, I should be able to get a refund of the VAT and choose to pay taxes in the US if I choose (I thought anyway). I don't plan to do anything aboiut this, but I am curious if anyone can reconcile the disclsoure.

Thanks, all.
I’ve seen similar phrasing used on some merchants websites and in those cases the digital storefront they use can tell where your IP address is and automatically deducts VAT from the displayed price so if you’re based in Europe it’ll display the higher price with VAT included, if you’re based abroad it’ll display the lower price with VAT excluded.

SartoriaModerna

Reaction score
IP based pricing is one possibility indeed, you could ask someone from EU here on the forum to check the pricing so you can compare whether there is a difference

if you want to be sure, you can as well double check when checking out, most of the time it will mention "product price" , "tax" and "shipping" to indicate the cost buildup of total amount.

BomTrady

Reaction score
IP based pricing is one possibility indeed, you could ask someone from EU here on the forum to check the pricing so you can compare whether there is a difference

if you want to be sure, you can as well double check when checking out, most of the time it will mention "product price" , "tax" and "shipping" to indicate the cost buildup of total amount.
'Good idea. THanks.

BomTrady

Reaction score
I’ve seen similar phrasing used on some merchants websites and in those cases the digital storefront they use can tell where your IP address is and automatically deducts VAT from the displayed price so if you’re based in Europe it’ll display the higher price with VAT included, if you’re based abroad it’ll display the lower price with VAT excluded.
That's likely the answer and the price displayed isn't the same price for everyone. 'Very possible.

SartoriaModerna

Reaction score
to further help you out, I'm here based in EU and this is what I see for this jacket. (first jacket on sales page).

There is written the price is already excluded VAT for non-EU and tax is included for EU. I think it's indeed IP based as when I check out, it automatically detects my country and prices stays the same.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-02-09 at 22.55.32.png
    Screenshot 2023-02-09 at 22.55.32.png
    766.5 KB · Views: 117

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Try using a VPN set to US. Then see what happens trying to check out with an EU delivery address.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
to further help you out, I'm here based in EU and this is what I see for this jacket. (first jacket on sales page).

There is written the price is already excluded VAT for non-EU and tax is included for EU. I think it's indeed IP based as when I check out, it automatically detects my country and prices stays the same.
Interesting. It isn’t what I had thought in that case - That’s the same as what shows up for the US price. It really bugs me when brands do that and pocket the VAT. Worse yet it looks like they don’t cover duties. Crockett Jones started doing the same thing through their direct sales and I refuse to pay an extra 22% to a brand just because they feel like pocketing it.

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
C&J has a shop in NYC they want to protect - all the products in the shop need to be priced to cover the duties they have to pay to import into the US. If C&J didn't charge VAT / raise prices for the US market online, they'd experience a lot of showrooming as people in the tri-state area try stuff on at the store and then buy online

haloitsme

Reaction score
To make a long story short.
Yes, they make more money on the items when the items are Exported (Outside the EU). However, as they offer free shipping (over €600) and free return; and the USA, HK etc. are signifacntly more expensive to ship and return from, which also involves some paperwork, I believe, that is so to offset the extra costs.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads