• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help or adviced needed

weirdnjfan1

Reaction score
Ok, I orginially posted this in the post pics of your denim thread, but I guess not a lot of people don't read that thread too often. A few months back, I posted a thread asking for advice on cheap raw denim. Well, I was in the local mall yesterday and went to H&M. After looking around at all the pretty cool jeans that I found a pair of Raw SLIQ jeans. I grabbed my regular waist, 29 and one size larger, 30 to try on. Well, my regular waist and one size bigger felt like I was stuck in the 80s, because the were so damn tight. So I went out and grabbed a 31 and a 32. The 31s fit good so I brought them. My problem is the one thing that is different than prewashed, the shrink factor. My problem is that although they fit good, they are just a little bigger than my nautral waist, I'm worried about the 5% shrink factor. So my main question is should I go back and exchange them for a 32 due to the five percent shrink factor. Although I'm not going to wash them right away, I worried about it when it come time to wash them.

Here's a pic of the waist. Sorry about how dark the pic is, I took it when I got home from work last night and my house doesn't have good lighting.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/94285752@N00/133225538/

Please help me out. Thanks again guys.

Esposito

Reaction score
I think you should be more worried about the stretch factor. I don't know about H&Ms denim, but usually raw jeans should feel quite tight at first and then stretch out to be comfortable. If they're comfortable right now then they might stretch out to be too loose.

I really wouldn't worry about the shrinking at all.

weirdnjfan1

Reaction score
I think that I'm gonna go back to H&M tomorrow and try on the 32s, just to see if there is a difference between the sizes. If the 32s fit better, then I'll just exchage the 31s for the 32s.

Ahaz

Reaction score
If they shrink at all, they are going to stretch back out after 10 minutes of wear. I would stick with the 31, but I hate when my jeans are too big in the waist.

BioSore

Reaction score
Originally Posted by weirdnjfan1
I think that I'm gonna go back to H&M tomorrow and try on the 32s, just to see if there is a difference between the sizes. If the 32s fit better, then I'll just exchage the 31s for the 32s.

Espositio is right, the shrink factor shouldn't worry you at all. They're not gonna shrink to be smaller than they are -- and, actually, they probably won't shrink back far at all. After you start wearing them, they'll stretch an inch or two in the first few weeks, then they'll shrink a little bit after you put them into the wash. But not enough to be worried at all. I suggest you get the 29. If the 31 fits well, the 29's should be good for you.

weirdnjfan1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BioSore
Espositio is right, the shrink factor shouldn't worry you at all. They're not gonna shrink to be smaller than they are -- and, actually, they probably won't shrink back far at all. After you start wearing them, they'll stretch an inch or two in the first few weeks, then they'll shrink a little bit after you put them into the wash. But not enough to be worried at all. I suggest you get the 29. If the 31 fits well, the 29's should be good for you.

Bio and Espositio, I was thinking about that a little today and after searching around the site and reading some older threads, I'm thinking about the 29s, my true waist or the 30s, on size bigger. Since I'm still a noob to the denim world, I wasn't sure about how big I should go. I'm thinking about going back on Thursday, since I won't have enough time due to the school and other plans. I'll try the 29s, but I might go with the 30s, just for insurence reasons. If you guys know any thing else about streaching, let me know.

weirdnjfan1

Reaction score
Has any one else had experience or have any other advice on H&M unwashed denim. I think I might go back and try on the 30s again, due to the fact that the 29s were just too tight. I personally don't think that the 29s will streach that much in the waist. I might go with the 30s or just keep the 31s, I think that the 32s will be huge if whe the streach.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by weirdnjfan1
Has any one else had experience or have any other advice on H&M unwashed denim. I think I might go back and try on the 30s again, due to the fact that the 29s were just too tight. I personally don't think that the 29s will streach that much in the waist. I might go with the 30s or just keep the 31s, I think that the 32s will be huge if whe the streach.

njfan, do not worry about the stretch. Part of the process of wearing dry jeans is letting your lifestyle come through in the wear patterns. If you change your style and wear them supertight, then it's a reflection of your desparate trend-following, not your personal style. I say keep the 31s. If they're comfortable now, they're fine. But do ask yourself what "comfortable" is. To me, they're comfortable when there is just a little snugness when I put them on.

If you got 29s, they'd probably stretch to the same size as the 31s do in the waist anyway. They'll all end up around 32" wide, because that's what your hips require them to be.

weirdnjfan1

Reaction score
Brain, thanks. I think I might keep them, my parents are suggesting I go to the 32s, because they think that they are too tight, but little do they know, I'm going just go up and try on the 32s and say that the 31s fit better. I know right off the bat the 32s are going to be too big, due to the streching. I just want to say that I'm going to keep the 31s, due to the fact the feel like my natural waist. Thanks again guys.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads