• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help needed with suit fit

theyare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hopefully can get some help without pics - here's my dilemma. It seems like no matter what size suit I try on, 38R or 40R, I always end up with the lapels popping out and not laying flush against my chest, especially when buttoned. I had originally thought it was due to the shoulders being too narrow, but even when I size up to a 40 it is sometimes worse. This isn't related to any particular suitmaker either - I've tried many OTR, and even happens with a few MTM that I have had made.

For reference, I am 6'0, about 160 lbs slim, with relatively broader shoulders I guess (18.5" straight across).

Any ideas?

DerekH

Reaction score
Shoulder fit.

You may have to goto MTM to get that fixed. The tailor at my store wouldn't do that alteration (if it can even be done).

theyare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bbaquiran
I think this could also happen if you have a dropped shoulder (as I do).

Opposite for me I think - my shoulders pretty much go straight across.

Originally Posted by Wandrin
please post photos so we can see, its possible that the front panels are too big for your frame but also can be a shoulder issue or posture... amongst others

Thanks, I'll try to post pics tonight. What do you mean by front panels being too big for my frame?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads