• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me pick my next two pair of Edward Greens

Longmorn

Reaction score
Gentlemen,

As I think I mentioned in my first post here, I blame SF for getting me hooked on Edward Green shoes. Over the last few years, I've accumulated a modest collection:

- Chelsea captoe in black on the 888 last
- Ladbroke in black on the 888
- Beaulieu in Dark Oak on the 888
- Southwold in Dark Oak on the 888

And I just picked up a pair of the Brummell in Edwardian Antique on the 82 last.

However, I'm still considering a couple more additions to round out the collection. Locally and in my regular D width I could get the Dover in Dark Oak on the 606 and the Newbury in Burnt Pine on the 888,

BUT, I'm currently lusting after the Inverness in Antique Burgundy and the Westminster in black on the 888.

I wear suits and dress shoes all week, so I can sort of justify adding a couple more pairs to the rotation. But there's the fiction of practicality, and then there's reality of aesthetic indulgence.

What sayest though, sartorial sages of SF: which two of the four listed there (Dover, Newbury, Inverness and Westminster) would you go for to round out the collection and why?

Thanks in advance.

LM

Last edited:

srmd22

Reaction score
Looks like you could use some Burgundy in the collection (or maybe you have a similar pair in another brand). But I really like the monks , if you don't minding loading up on black.

earthdragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dover on the 606 ( can't go wrong) in Dark Oak
My next buy will be the Nevis . I'm in London in 3 weeks and hope Jermyn St has them!

gsugsu

Reaction score
Well, if you are lusting after the Inverness, get it. You get an shoe that fits with your pattern of wearing mostly suits plus it expands your colour range. Right brain/left brain decision covered. One down, one to go.

The Dover is very nice and a classic shoe on a great last if somewhat more causal so ask yourself where are you going to wear it. How many other bluchers do you have? I'd certainly take it over a wholecut but I don't like wholecuts. If you are considering the Dover, take a look at the Nevis boot. Damn nice.

You don't have monks and want the Westminster so get it because once again you can go with your head and your heart. Works for suits and more causal settings plus you are jonesing for it. Only downside you have to decide if you really want more another black shoe.

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1) The inverness because it expands the color range of your collection, goes well with suits and is very beautiful
2) A non-Oxford: Either the Dover or the Westminster

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I really dislike wholecuts and floating medallions, personally, so I'd say no to the Newbury. If you already have the Ladbroke anyway, I'm not sure how much more the Newbury would add. Same with the Inverness and Brummell. That leaves the Westminster and Dover.

Personally, of all the shoes I own, the Dover is one of my favorites. I find goes with the most things. It's a stand out shoe in terms of quality and beauty without standing out in an outfit. 606 is also a really nice last, and it sounds like you have enough 888s. Also, it sounds like you don't have a single derby, which I think this could help fill. They're very useful, especially with more causal outfits.

Last edited:

Longmorn

Reaction score
Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. I tried on the Dover and the Newbury today. The Dover just didn't work on me - for whatever reason, the proportions didn't look right to my eye. The Newbury on the other hand...well, I walked out with them, so 'nuff said.

I also tried on the Inverness at Brooks Brothers. I normally take a 9/9.5D, but of course BB only carries E. The 8.5/9E seemed to fit reasonably well, but I wonder if anyone else has experience with moving from the D width to the E?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads