• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help Me Decide on a New Topcoat

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I am looking to order a new topcoat for the winter. The topcoat will be worn over a sportcoat, and w/o a tie. Given that, I'm pretty set on a SB (think DB looks odd if one isn't wearing a suit+tie).

Color / Fabric: Pretty much set on a 17oz. wool in a light gray + brown mix (much like the one worn by Alden in this video: http://dresswithstyle.com/2009/12/06...he-6-x-3-polo/)

Style: I'm thinking SB (as I said), 3 buttons (all dark brown), turnback cuffs, no breast welt, and two flapped pockets + ticket pocket.
I do like envelope pockets, but also like my coats to be reasonably lean and fitted. Would envelope pockets look out of place on such a coat?

Length: Right at the knee. Agree?

Any comments on the above would be helpful,
ET

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there any remote chance you would consider brown Ashtrakan on the collars & lapels?

Why 17oz for a topcoat?

Are you still open to dumping the ticket pocket?

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Keep the ticket pocket but make it a besom
bounce2.gif
Strangely I'm having a hard time picturing a coat with no chest pocket, but the idea tickles my fancy. Good call on SB.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Michael Ay329
Is there any remote chance you would consider brown Ashtrakan on the collars & lapels?

Why 17oz for a topcoat?

Are you still open to dumping the ticket pocket?

1. No, absolutely not.

2. No real reason - the fabric I really like is 17oz., and its warm enough for NY winters.

3. Yeah, maybe - you don't like? The fabric is very plain so it wouldn't hurt to embellish it.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
wait a minute, no breast pocket and a ticket pocket
confused.gif

That's what I'm thinking for now. If you disagree, provide me with an alternative?

See reason above for why I'd like a TP. I think a breast welt w/o a PS just looks off, and I wouldn't want to use a PS with a topcoat.

medtech_expat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
I'd do that kind of coat a few inches above the knees

+1

Do you have a specific coat in mind RTW or will you have this made? FWIW, Lance as a few Cucinellis which reasonably match your description, IIRC.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by medtech_expat
+1

Do you have a specific coat in mind RTW or will you have this made? FWIW, Lance as a few Cucinellis which reasonably match your description, IIRC.

I'll have this one made up. Thinking of using Mina Adamo's service.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
I am looking to order a new topcoat for the winter. The topcoat will be worn over a sportcoat, and w/o a tie. Given that, I'm pretty set on a SB (think DB looks odd if one isn't wearing a suit+tie).

Color / Fabric: Pretty much set on a 17oz. wool in a light gray + brown mix (much like the one worn by Alden in this video: http://dresswithstyle.com/2009/12/06...he-6-x-3-polo/)

Style: I'm thinking SB (as I said), 3 buttons (all dark brown), turnback cuffs, no breast welt, and two flapped pockets + ticket pocket.
I do like envelope pockets, but also like my coats to be reasonably lean and fitted. Would envelope pockets look out of place on such a coat

Length: Right at the knee. Agree?

Any comments on the above would be helpful,
ET

What about a Balmacaan?
It certainly can be informal enough.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by comrade
What about a Balmacaan?

Too loose-fitting for my taste.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kitonbrioni
Have you thought about cashmere or camelhair in a camel color?
Plenty of pockets outside and inside.
Several inches below the knee.

I did. But several members have mentioned in the past how cashmere may be a bit too fragile for frequent use as an overcoat. So I'm staying away for now.

To distill my questions -

1. Will envelope pockets work on the coat as envisioned?
2. Most people seem against the ticket pocket - any opposing views? Any comments on the turnback cuffs?
3. Sounds like a shorter coat (perhaps an inch above the knee) is the way to go?

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
I did. But several members have mentioned in the past how cashmere may be a bit too fragile for frequent use as an overcoat. So I'm staying away for now.

To distill my questions -

1. Will envelope pockets work on the coat as envisioned?
2. Most people seem against the ticket pocket - any opposing views? Any comments on the turnback cuffs?
3. Sounds like a shorter coat (perhaps an inch above the knee) is the way to go?

I have turnback cuffs on a topcoat and an overcoat. I like them, and they cause no trouble.

Knee length is the best length for a topcoat. Much shorter starts looking like a car coat. Nothing wrong with them but they are not topcoats.

kitonbrioni

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a dozen or so vintage cashmere (and vicuña) overcoats over 60 years old, most with turnback cuffs. None of them so show much if any visible wear. However, the linings are often completely wornout and threadbare without showing any real wear on the cashmere exterior.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads