1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Help! Dress Code 'Evening Wear'

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Arista, Aug 26, 2014.

1. Arista

Arista New Member

Hi all. First time poster, long time lurker... I'm in need of some assistance!

I'm 24 years old, and I recently found out I'll be attending my Uncle's 60th birthday next month. The dress code is 'Evening Wear' & it's being held at a venue where wedding receptions are often conducted. I need it spelled out for me: does this sound like tuxedo territory? I'm starting to feel a little hot under the collar because I have nothing in my wardrobe that approaches that caliber. Of course, I want to make a strong impact, but I'm only willing to spend a few hundred bucks if I can get away with it.

I saw this on ebay... It's cheap, a hundred bucks, & Italian made... But I've never heard of the brand (Lebole Uomo?). There are no measurements provided but I'm usually a medium/40/50 and I have a decent tailor. Do you think it might work sans vest?
    [​IMG]

The only 'nice' shoes I own... Church's derbies in burgundy. Am I right in thinking these are utterly inappropriate?

[​IMG]

Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated.

2. NefariousSabatour

NefariousSabatour Senior member

he's your uncle, ask him what he had in mind with regards to the level of formality.

as to the rest of it:

there are no measurements provided with the suit. that right there is a total non-starter. don't buy used or online stuff for yourself in a pinch, and especially don't do it when you have no clue how it will fit.

the shoes are not appropriate for formal wear.

2 people like this.
  3. GBR

GBR Senior member

Ask the man - if he is so vague he should expect questions. Secondly forget that suit (if that is not to charitable a word. Blue with a black shawl collar resembles something the band or a waiter might wear, certainly not a guest.

1 person likes this.