1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Height

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by seen, Mar 18, 2006.

1. Leaveitothexperts

Leaveitothexperts Senior member

I don't know if there is any such thing as a perfect height. It all depends on weight/ build and geneology.

For my experience, I was 4'9" until I was 17, definitely the shortest kid in class. Then within a year or less (I don't even remember what it was like - it was that quick), I grew to 5'7". As you can imagine I was extatic and didn't really measure myself until years after. I must have grown very slowly after that because I don't remember my pants growing shorter, but definitely grew beyond age 21.

I am now 5'9", of course short by what is on this thread by I don't really have a problem with it. I think 5'9" - 5'10" is OK. Yes with dating girls too. [​IMG] I am of the opinion, by experience, that its not the height by itself, it is also how you carry yourself, behave and act with a girl that "gets" you the girls. And let's not forget, average height of a woman is 5'5" - 5'6" so even at my height I would have no problems with 3" heels - ask women for their candid opinion and they will tell you that anything above this is really uncomfortable.

Something I think is true, didn't read any science books on this, but for guys (on average) you can assume that you will be at or above your fathers height. I think this is more true for heights below 6' than it is for above 6', where the variance is a little larger. But really is there a big difference between 6'3" and say 6' or 6'1"? In the grand scheme of things, there is more you have to think about than 2" in height difference, especially at or above 6'.

2. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Senior member

Being a few inches above the norm in height can make a major difference. In clothing options, for example.

Heritability of Adult Body Height

The data seems to suggest that heritability of height is the same for tall men and men of average height. (There's separate evidence that below-average height often is attributable to environment.)

3. javyn

javyn Senior member

4. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    I'm intrigued by Tokyo's answer. So it is best to be as tall as Shaq or as that guy who plays Mini-me?
    The ideal height "” at least as compared to Slim's standard "” would be Shaq's height, with mirror-finish shoes. Best of both worlds. [​IMG]

5. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

5'11-6'0 152lbs. I'm not actually sure about my height... I always thought I was 6' but my brother is a tiny bit taller than me and he says he's 6'. I'm very happy with my height. I think 6'2" is actually a bit too tall. A lot of french women are rather short and a big height difference for me is a no-no.

6. Leaveitothexperts

Leaveitothexperts Senior member

5'11-6'0 152lbs. I'm not actually sure about my height... I always thought I was 6' but my brother is a tiny bit taller than me and he says he's 6'. I'm very happy with my height. I think 6'2" is actually a bit too tall. A lot of french women are rather short and a big height difference for me is a no-no.

You must be pretty slim 5'11"/152lbs. Either that or I am too big (5'9"/163lbs)

Anyway, I was thinking the same thing re:height difference between you and your better half. Barefoot I would like the height difference to be 3-5".

7. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

You must be pretty slim 5'11"/152lbs. Either that or I am too big (5'9"/163lbs)

Anyway, I was thinking the same thing re:height difference between you and your better half. Barefoot I would like the height difference to be 3-5".

Yes, I'm slim, but I am putting on weight (12lbs in the past month). My target weigth is 155-160 8%bf.

8. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Senior member

Most spouses are only a few inches apart in height. (That's according to researchers.)

An interesting quote from a new New York Times article called "Live Long? Die Young? Answer Isn't Just in Genes."
    "How tall your parents are compared to the average height explains 80 to 90 percent of how tall you are compared to the average person."

9. Reflection

Reflection Active Member

I'm 5'8'' (173cm) only. [​IMG]

I'd love to reach the magic 5'11''. [​IMG]

10. Toiletduck

Toiletduck Senior member

I'm 5'11-6' and ~152 lbs as well.

I used to weigh ~120 for the longest time. [​IMG]

11. ted

ted Senior member

6' in heels.
    5'10" without.
    LOL

12. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

5'6"... but my feet are 10-1/2". [​IMG]

13. reado

reado Member

wow, i got you all beat!

I'm 6'9" approx. 225lbs... but I'm lucky - I'm slim but not lanky, big but not menacing...

I stopped growing at around 22 but when i was around 17 I grew like 4" in one summer

Even though its hard to find clothes, cars, airplane seats, etc, the girls LOVE it.. I always get stopped by women to talk about my height making it the perfect ice-breaker! [​IMG]

But the "do you play basketball" comments get a bit played out... oh well.

14. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

i thought the average US height for men after 25 years of age was around
    5'8". am i wrong?

15. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan Senior member

I'm 6'2, 170lbs (skinny). My girlfriend of three years is 5'2, 110lbs. Dancing is a little awkward at times.

16. kever

kever Senior member

wow, i got you all beat!

But the "do you play basketball" comments get a bit played out... oh well.

You must also like the "how big are your feet??" questions. My brother get's pretty sick of the "how are you so tall?" questions that he'll occationally respond "why is your ass so fat?" when appropriate. He's usually a nice guy, but after about 200 times a day of the same question, it must wear on your nerves...

17. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

i get asked constantly, why are you of such average height?!
    i dont mind it.

18. seen

seen Senior member

My dad's 6' and mom 5'8, it's weird how I'm only 5'10 at 19 years old. But my dad grew an inch or two at age 22, so I've got my fingers crossed for a spurt.

For the guys who grew after 18, did you do anything special? In terms of diet, exercises, and sleep? And how much did you grow? Was it constant, or a spurt?

I appreciate any advice that might help me get an inch or two, so I don't have to keep hemming pants and jeans. Thanks!

19. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Moderator

88 feet

It's a lucky height.

20. Stazy

Stazy Senior member

Why is it so weird that you're 5'10? That's the combined average of your parents' height so it doesn't seem that odd to me. Just to give you hope though, I have a Russian cousin who grew 6 inches after turning 18. I'm 5'10 and 153 lbs. I got sick last winter and was down to 145 - I was a freakin' skinny bastard untill about 1 month ago [​IMG]