• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Height Loss over years

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
What is the word on height loss as you age?

Ive tried to google it and there is no real talk about it other than osteoporosis for women and celebheight talk about actors being taller when they were younger and such.

If i take plenty of calcium rich foods now and in the future will this prevent any shrinkage? or is it just a natural phenomenon we cannot prevent as the disc material just erodes as you age?

will continual activity and sitting up straight and not slouching help?

I am of perhaps average height and any shorter will just put me in the short category and I dont want that.
Basically i look good in the inseam and coat lengths that I have now, and dont want to have to alter them anytime soon.

I would say start worrying about it until you hit your 50s? or does it start during your 40s? (barring any medical condition of course).
because basically, i am at the gate of entering the 40s now.

What is your knowledgeable take? thanks.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It happens. Combination of bone loss (minor unless you have osteoporosis), posture and your intervertebral discs (loss of disc space and elasticity).

Starts at age 40-50. Nothing much you can do except watch your posture and strengthen your back muscles e.g. erector spinae, trapezius, rhomboids. Ensure enough calcium and vit D in your diet.

You also will shrink as the day goes on due to the effects of gravity on your discs.

doug funnie

Reaction score
A majority of height loss comes from postural issues that worsen with age and not the bones actually shortening. Some of it may be made up by bone/tissue between joints wearing down, but common sense indicates that this would probably have a negligable effect on an individual's total height.

If you're really worried about this long term then your best bet is probably to begin a serious strength training routine now when postural problems are minimal. And curls/pushups don't count. Anything that isn't directly working the spinal erectors/other interior muscle groups will have a minimal effect, or may be detrimental.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by doug funnie
Some of it may be made up by bone/tissue between joints wearing down

Yes, this may also play a very small role.

In the end, unless you have some major kyphosis you aren't really talking about anything maybe more than 0.5" max.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jumbie
(...)

You also will shrink as the day goes on due to the effects of gravity on your discs.

AAAACK!!! This pernicious gravity - it must be overcome!

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
AAAACK!!! This pernicious gravity - it must be overcome!

To combat it I spend half the day walking on my hands.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jumbie
To combat it I spend half the day walking on my hands.

Very clever, this;
But, does it not shrink your arms?
I have much to learn.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by melwoesblvd
they have those machines that stretch you out, forgot what theyre called

The Rack.

TortureRack.jpg

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Lovely...
plain.gif
If that's not appealing, there's always leg-lengthening cosmetic surgery performed in certain foreign countries.
smile.gif

Doctor

Reaction score
In Australia we have a federal politician - a rather attractive young lady - who claims to have been to Russia for leg lengthening surgery. I think it took 8 weeks.

So there are always options...

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Doctor
In Australia we have a federal politician - a rather attractive young lady - who claims to have been to Russia for leg lengthening surgery. I think it took 8 weeks.

So there are always options...

Seriously: **** that ****. The trick in life is to make the most with what you are given.

BoilerRoom

Reaction score
I'm too young to have experienced age-related height loss, but I do know that I shrink 3/4" throughout the day.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads