• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Heavy country brogue - which one?

rabiesinfrance

Reaction score
I'm considering getting one of these:

Cheaney Tay or Rusland:

http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/product-list.php?brandID=6&catID=93

Crockett & Jones Pembroke or Cardiff

http://www.pediwear.co.uk/crockett/ranges/69.php

http://www.pediwear.co.uk/crockett/ranges/65.php

Church's Chetwynd

http://www.tannersfootwear.co.uk/church-039-s-chetwynd-shoe-in-brown/p44

I'm not looking at Grenson or Tricker's at the moment.

I'm not considering Barker, Loake, Sargent, etc.

Any suggestions?

Crockett & Jones benchgrade seem to be a safe bet, but their shoes seem to be a little bit 'flimsy'.

Cheaney look good, but they are £100 less than C&J. May not have the quality.

Church's look very nice (thanks Kev for the advice), but they are very expensive and difficult to find in Brown online. Church's also use a lot of polished binder leather which makes me wary of making a purchase.

You wouldn't think it would be so difficult to find a nice pair of brogues!

Last edited:

UFN

Reaction score
Any reason you are not looking at Trickers? I have a pair of Ilkleys and if there is one word I'll never use to describe them it is definitely "flimsy", they are very sturdy shoes.

If the commando soles are not your cup of tea, there are a few similar models with leather or dainite instead - I haven't tried these but I assume the quality is the same.

/U. - happy owner of several pairs of Trickers shoes and boots :)

Pembers

Reaction score
I wouldn't consider the Chetwynd a "heavy country brogue". My dad has been wearing his pair to work since I can remember, and they seem like fairly conventional city brogues to me.

I'd also recommend Trickers for this kind of thing, from personal experience. The Bourton is a classic, and indestructible. I've heard good things (on SF!) about Cheaney country shoes, but no experience of them myself.

Mariooo

Reaction score
For a heavy country brogue I'd nail down the options to: derby style, grain leather, storm welt, dainite or commando sole... and considering a brogue boot

The Church Chetwynd falls not in my definition of a heavy country brogue

from the listed shoes, my vote goes to the Pembroke
and +1 on the recommendation for Trickers

but all depends on where and how you plan wearing them :)

Last edited:

rabiesinfrance

Reaction score
I own Tricker's Bourton and I'm fairly happy with them. Wanted to try a new style.

Point taken about the Chetwynd, Mariooo.

Tempted by Cheaney, but it is £100 less than C&J.

kev777

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why would being £100 less than C&J be a "but". Nothing wrong in those Cheaneys i have the factory special boots that look similar to those and i was pleasantly surprised at the very decent quality. Ive put them thro a very heavy duty work out and they still look the business after a bit spit an polish. I would have no hesitation buying Cheaney.

Pembers

Reaction score

I own Tricker's Bourton and I'm fairly happy with them. Wanted to try a new style.

Point taken about the Chetwynd, Mariooo.

Tempted by Cheaney, but it is £100 less than C&J.

Saving £100 isn't necessarily a bad thing. :)

I think I'd go for Cheaney ahead of C&J for this kind of thing. This is supposed to be what Cheaney are best at, whereas I see C&J as a decidedly city-focused maker. I own the Shipton & Heneage Cairngorm, which is made by Cheaney (not a brogue, but a country derby), which I love. Very robust.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alfred Sargent has a new country brogue which looked good to me . Check it on selectism

Thanks SF (a new me)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Achillus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would say go for the Crockett & Jones, you can't go (almost) wrong on it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads