• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can I get some help deciding between these 3 pairs of shoes?

grnfy

Reaction score
I've been really keen on getting a pair of dark brown/burgundy wingtip brogues to wear casually. After some searching, I've narrowed my choices down to these 3 pairs, which look similar and are within the same price range.

1) Barker Glasgow

http://www.pediwear.co.uk/barker/products/4916.php

I like the lack of broguing around the topline/opening of the shoe, but the shape of the last appears clunkier than the other two, at least to my eye, from the online pictures.

2) Loake 202

http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/produ...=7&catid=24&oldcolid=227&stype=0&colourid=228

3) Herring Surrey

http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/produ...&catid=84&oldcolid=1660&stype=0&colourid=1661

I have a feeling that all 3 of these are not of the high quality that members here are used to, but they are all I can afford.

Which do you guys think is the best buy? Quality/looks/anything else wise.

Thank you so much for your help!

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't know anything about pediwear, but I like the 2nd pair. It's personal choice IMO but I'd avoid a color that is too light, like the 3rd pair, simply because they are more difficult to pair with trousers. Darker shoes tend to pair better with more varieties of trousers including denim. Light shoes are a difficult thing to work with and require lighter trousers to look right most of the time.

LImorowman

Reaction score
All three look really nice. I would choose the one that has the best fit.

DapperE

Reaction score
The Loake 202 look the best.

inimitable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Suede can be very versatile, but more versatile than calf? I don't think so.
OP said he wanted the shoes for casual wear, so for me suede is always my first choice

I would not wear calf with casual trousers such as jeans, cords, moleskins, but I would wear suede with both casual trousers and a suit. I think it depends greatly on your lifestyle.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I would, and do, wear calf with jeans. I think a full brogue looks great with denim. Not only that, but you can wear them with a casual sport coat and trousers combo or a casual suit. You can, obviously, do the same with suede but it requires more careful pairing. Suede's interesting texture is the reason why. You have to take that into account when considering the rest of your fit, but calf is standard and requires less specificity.

Astaroth

Reaction score
I would, and do, wear calf with jeans. I think a full brogue looks great with denim. Not only that, but you can wear them with a casual sport coat and trousers combo or a casual suit. You can, obviously, do the same with suede but it requires more careful pairing. Suede's interesting texture is the reason why. You have to take that into account when considering the rest of your fit, but calf is standard and requires less specificity.

I wouldnt wear black calf with blue/indigo denim. Whilst broguing makes shoes less formal that doesnt automatically push things into being casual.

Number 2 is the nicest looking shoe but 3 is the most casual but still would rather other things if it really is for casual wear (ie jeans)

emidyl

Reaction score
suedes are so versatile. It's unfortunate because there are tons of misconceptions about pairing them with items such as suits and anything less than casual.
Mind you they all have their place in ones arsenal of shoes and many times it comes down to personal choice, but to me the suede brogue works with just about anything. Love how it can soften up any suit when the occasion calls for it.

cheers

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads