• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HD flat panel televisions (small)

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
$600 - 800; something around 30". should be flat (no deep tube). is this at all realistic for a 'good' tv?

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It got 4.5 stars which is good. 20 and 9 reviewers out of 34 gave it 5 or 4 stars respectively. 2 reviewers gave it 1 star for breaking right after the 1 year warranty. Take home message might be to spring for the extended warranty.. Here's another Westinghouse, 37" for $512 shipped that is getting much love over at slickdeals. But it's a refurb, some mixed reviews on the refurb condition. Hard to beat that price, it may come back in stock. http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthr...highlight=hdtv Or if you have a Sam's club or CostCo you could get something there. I don't know about CostCo but Sam's carries Vizio which should fit your needs. Plus you get the great return policy in case.

djmano

Reaction score
westinghouse and vizio are known as the two 'budget' flat panel brands that are halfway decent. they have very good features and PQ for the price.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would buy LCD computer screen at this price.
You can watch TV or you can browse the web and watch Netflix instantly, etc.
If you are willing to spend upwards of 800.00 it is worth to kill 2 birds with one stone.

If you decide to buy TV-only buy something from top of the line manufacturer. I would recommend LCD in this small size 30".
Certainly buy somehting with very high reviews for it's picture quality becasue you going to watch this TV from relatively close disatnce and any imperfections of the technology would be evident on a cheap screens.
Do not stretch your budget to buy 1080P screens. In this size and at this point in time it is not worth to spend extra on 1080P resolution, unless you are early adopter of Blue-ray DVD format.
TV-cable broadcasts are so horrible in it's resolution and so compressed that 1080P is de-facto unavailable.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dkzzzz
I would buy LCD computer screen at this price.
You can watch TV or you can browse the web and watch Netflix instantly, etc.
If you are willing to spend upwards of 800.00 it is worth to kill 2 birds with one stone.

If you decide to buy TV-only buy something from top of the line manufacturer. I would recommend LCD in this small size 30".
Certainly buy somehting with very high reviews for it's picture quality becasue you going to watch this TV from relatively close disatnce and any imperfections of the technology would be evident on a cheap screens.
Do not stretch your budget to buy 1080P screens. In this size and at this point in time it is not worth to spend extra on 1080P resolution, unless you are early adopter of Blue-ray DVD format.
TV-cable broadcasts are so horrible in it's resolution and so compressed that 1080P is de-facto unavailable.

uhoh.gif
I thought 30" was big.....

Hey - Here's a question: Can LCD flat screen TV's get reception w/o a cable hookup? Our old set has 'rabbit ears', and being on a high floor we get good reception of the basic free channels (CBS, NBC, ABC, three locals & PBS) even though we don't have cable. Looking at all the new flat screen LCDs I don't see any rabbit ears. Will we need to get cabel in order to watch the thing?

Brian SD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by romafan
uhoh.gif
I thought 30" was big..... Hey - Here's a question: Can LCD flat screen TV's get reception w/o a cable hookup? Our old set has 'rabbit ears', and being on a high floor we get good reception of the basic free channels (CBS, NBC, ABC, three locals & PBS) even though we don't have cable. Looking at all the new flat screen LCDs I don't see any rabbit ears. Will we need to get cabel in order to watch the thing?

If you buy a computer monitor as dkzzz suggests, you won't get a TV tuner, which is required to watch the free TV channels (it's basically some hardware inside the TV that gives it the ability to change channels). Computer monitors can display the same image as TVs (and usually at a higher resolution), so bang-for-your-buck wise, a monitor is going to get you much better picture quality per dollar, however one of the main reasons they're cheaper is because they do not have TV tuners. 99% of the time you do not need cable to get the free channels, but you do need a cable outlet in your home. If your house has a cable outlet, you can get the free channels through a coaxial cable (a very cheap, almost-free analog cable that goes from the outlet in your wall to your TV) without cable TV service. Cable outlets usually look like silver cylindrical shapes with grooves on the side not unlike a bolt so look around the walls for these. Honestly dude I can't believe your TV has rabbit ears, and further I can't believe that you actually got reception. I thought we're past the date the government decided that there would be no more TV broadcast through that means. Isn't that frequency being sold off?
sarcasm.gif
Also, I do think 30" is a pretty big TV so you're not alone there, but regardless, 30" is not nearly the level that you'll begin to see a difference between the higher resolutions. I think if you can find a pretty good deal on a 1080i TV, you should spring for that. 1080p really requires something 50" or above to notice so don't stretch your budget thinking it'll be worth it in the long run. My father started a business installing home theatre equipment and high-end A/V stuff to rich people and businesses. I should print out some of the stuff you say because he'd get a kick out of it. "Looking at all the new flat screen LCDs I don't see any rabbit ears."
rotflmao.gif
No offense it's just funny to hear that. Also, you know LCD flat screens are hardly "new," right?

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Dude, I'm here to amuse.
colgate.gif
Didn't check today, but Bob the Builder came in loud and clear yesterday morning. Thnx for tip re coaxil. Apartment does have cable outlet. Our Tinitron is (I'm guessing) 15 years old. The rabbit ears are more like a 'v' shaped antenna that 'plugs' in the top of the set. Each side of the 'v' extends up, like a walkie talkie antenna....

I know, my parents have had a flatscreen for probably 6 or 7 years, and they are generally behind the times....

Originally Posted by Brian SD
If you buy a computer monitor as dkzzz suggests, you won't get a TV tuner, which is required to watch the free TV channels (it's basically some hardware inside the TV that gives it the ability to change channels). Computer monitors can display the same image as TVs (and usually at a higher resolution), so bang-for-your-buck wise, a monitor is going to get you much better picture quality per dollar, however one of the main reasons they're cheaper is because they do not have TV tuners.

99% of the time you do not need cable to get the free channels, but you do need a cable outlet in your home. If your house has a cable outlet, you can get the free channels through a coaxial cable (a very cheap, almost-free analog cable that goes from the outlet in your wall to your TV) without cable TV service. Cable outlets usually look like silver cylindrical shapes with grooves on the side not unlike a bolt so look around the walls for these.

Honestly dude I can't believe your TV has rabbit ears, and further I can't believe that you actually got reception. I thought we're past the date the government decided that there would be no more TV broadcast through that means. Isn't that frequency being sold off?
sarcasm.gif

Also, I do think 30" is a pretty big TV so you're not alone there, but regardless, 30" is not nearly the level that you'll begin to see a difference between the higher resolutions. I think if you can find a pretty good deal on a 1080i TV, you should spring for that. 1080p really requires something 50" or above to notice so don't stretch your budget thinking it'll be worth it in the long run.

My father started a business installing home theatre equipment and high-end A/V stuff to rich people and businesses. I should print out some of the stuff you say because he'd get a kick out of it. "Looking at all the new flat screen LCDs I don't see any rabbit ears."
rotflmao.gif
No offense it's just funny to hear that. Also, you know LCD flat screens are hardly "new," right?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads