• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Have you ever thrown everything out?

ivyshaw

Reaction score
In fact, I felt great when I did this, even i didn't do it frequently...

Pingson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do it about two-three times a year, usually when moving things in or out of seasonal storage. Sometimes it hurts donating a piece I really like. Yesterday I dumped a shirt I really like the look of but where the sleeves are not right (about 0.5" too short) . I will always feel uncomfortable wearing it so it 's best to purge it from the wardrobe.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Probably about 9 months ago about 9 MTM suits went to goodwill. A bunch of shirts will be heading there soon.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Probably about 9 months ago about 9 MTM suits went to goodwill. A bunch of shirts will be heading there soon.
It was painful to donate all of my MTM suits, but it had to be done. No regrets because what I have now is much better, though not perfect.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I once in a long while will engage in a bit of culling, mostly to make room for new acquisitions. If I like an item of clothing, I don't see a need to get rid of it just because I haven't worn it recently.

I did get rid of all my RTW suits in fairly short order. I would have kept my Corneliani pinstripe, but I took it to a local tailor of some renown to have the waist taken in and his people butchered it. It felt like a straitjacket so off to Goodwill it went.

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I cull once a year. Great feeling. The challenge is that once you have a solid SF approved closet, you can talk yourself into keeping anything (even if you don't wear it) I am finally getting to the point of tossing out stuff that was even tailored. Cutting deeper. I want to get to a point where the only things that are in my closet are things I could wear today with no hesitation.

Last edited:

hammerhead

Reaction score
I'm trying to do a purge now--went through one a year ago when started monitoring this site. Anyway----the concept of SF approved makes it tricky. I wish there was a list or shopping cart of stuff to choose and rebuild from. I went through a phase a few years back where I wore nice jeans, wingtips or allstars, and a black tshirt 50% the time and got the most compliments I've ever gotten. That said, I'm trying to get more advanced and stick to classic, simple, and a little vintage. Love the advice I get here, but I wish there was a roadmap to get better after a purge. Local menshop offers a personal shopper that I've thought about doing.... any luck on using them? He's a good guy (well respected on here actually it looks like too) and everything I've purchase from him I've been pleased with. Any ideas on if they are worth it?

stupendous

Reaction score
In the last month, I've purged my closet fairly extensively. I've thought about trashing everything and starting from scratch, but you must remember this is a process. A long one at that.
If you want to have quality clothing, it's going to cost quite a bit of money, and unless you have way too much of it, it's not going to be easy to re-buy every staple piece at once. Take it easy, slow, and buy a piece at a time, replacing things you think you won't wear again.
I say throw out things that you know you likely won't wear ever again, but also have a stack for things you want to get tailored, and another stack for things that you are on the fence about.
Donate the stuff you won't wear. Go to a tailor to get the clothes you want tailored... tailored. And rethink the ones on the fence, wearing them time to time to see if you still feel good about them.

Agree. it is a process. Sometimes part of the challenge is the patience required, really giving some thought to what you buy. If you buy the wrong thing, it could cost a bundle, then you lose money!

You also have to be ruthless - that's what I tell my wife. If you haven't worn it, don't keep it for that day when you 'might' want to wear it again. Of course, no one can predict the future, but hey, if you have not worn it in six months, except for seasonal clothing, there must be a reason.

I like what you said about getting the things you want tailored...tailored. Part of it is laziness, and part of it is making sure you go to someone who knows what to do and can execute.

I once took an RLPL suit to the guy who takes in my shirts and shortens my trousers. He butchered the suit! And here, in Singapore, your options are, to sue (which is ridiculous and would cost more in terms of time and money than the suit is worth), to ask him to pay (ha! fat chance!). It was an expensive lesson, but now I only go to a 'real' tailor for alterations, even if it costs more.

I do it about two-three times a year, usually when moving things in or out of seasonal storage. Sometimes it hurts donating a piece I really like. Yesterday I dumped a shirt I really like the look of but where the sleeves are not right (about 0.5" too short) . I will always feel uncomfortable wearing it so it 's best to purge it from the wardrobe.

I just did that to a shirt I liked. The sleeves were just too short, and you could only wear it if you rolled up the sleeves so that no one could tell. Like I said above, you have to be ruthless - honest with yourself, which is not always easy.

I have done this at least twice where I got rid of everything except the clothes on my back. Furniture and everything, too.

May I ask why you did that? Were there events in your life at the time? Just curious...how did you feel afterwards?

You know you're on SF when you give away more than what most people have.
tinfoil.gif

I actually laughed when I read this, but it's true! I gave away those shoes to relatives and relatives of relatives. Charity begins at home etc. But you're right - some have more than others. But, c'mon, in reality, we only 'truly' need two sets of garments to alternate and one pair of footwear. Everything else is a 'want'.
smile.gif

I'm trying to do a purge now--went through one a year ago when started monitoring this site. Anyway----the concept of SF approved makes it tricky. I wish there was a list or shopping cart of stuff to choose and rebuild from. I went through a phase a few years back where I wore nice jeans, wingtips or allstars, and a black tshirt 50% the time and got the most compliments I've ever gotten. That said, I'm trying to get more advanced and stick to classic, simple, and a little vintage. Love the advice I get here, but I wish there was a roadmap to get better after a purge. Local menshop offers a personal shopper that I've thought about doing.... any luck on using them? He's a good guy (well respected on here actually it looks like too) and everything I've purchase from him I've been pleased with. Any ideas on if they are worth it?

I am relatively new to SF, but I have read the following from several members here at SF - buy what makes you happy, or what looks good, and not get stuck with approved this or approved that (I'm paraphrasing, of course). There are general rules, I agree, and I'm big on being 'appropriate', but to strictly follow everyone of them to a T - too much time and effort. Moderation in all things.

Regarding your question about a personal shopper - I assume he will charge extra? Reading the posts on this forum and asking questions works almost as well, in my opinoinion, and you get a multitude of perspectives, rather than just one. Good luck with however way you want to go!

stupendous

Reaction score

Missed commenting on this in the last post. It does feel good, doesn't it? I think that, although we are consumers, and are bombarded with senosory input that makes us accumulate, in the end, our inner selves want it light and simple.
nod[1].gif

gsugsu

Reaction score
I have normally made small semi-annual purges. If it is something i rarely wear, i don't need it. The process has been coupled with a move away from impulse buying and has resulted in a more carefully curated wardrobe. Plus the initial Men's Clothing Classified's "buy it because it is [insert brand name here] and it is [insert % here] off retail!" behavior peaked early and faded.

But i am in the process of my first complete purge. It is motivated by practicality: getting to and maintaining a target weight for nearly two years and finally recognizing that RTW regular and many short jackets do not work for me. So all of it goes save for my shoes.

Suits, jackets, ties and pents have been carefully replaced by bespoke because I am no longer willing to compromise on fit.

All that is left is the decision on how to get rid of things. I still have a large number of relatively recent pieces that remain after the old stuff went straight to the bin. I just have to decide if it is worth it to sell them or better to donate them.

Thoughts on the method of disposal? Or can a true purge happen only if you donate or throw it in the garbage bin?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads