• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Has anyone had Rhinoplasty?

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I was in my teens (I am now 25) I broke my nose several times (once in a car accident, twice boxing, and once in a real fight). Today it is a little bent, but even worse is that my breathing is affected greatly. It has been something I have put up with but I am getting quite sick of it and contemplating have Rhinoplasty for both the appearence and the breathing problems.

I wanted to see if anybody has had Rhinoplasty done or anyother experience with it (i.e., close friend has had it done)?

Considering the price, pain, and possible risk, it is something I am going to research significantly before going through with it, and I am just starting my research. Planning on having it done in Boston.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If there is a physical reason for the obstruction then septorhinoplasty will usually help; any additional inflammatory conditions would not be addressed by surgery. It's a fairly standard procedure.

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chobochobo
If there is a physical reason for the obstruction then septorhinoplasty will usually help; any additional inflammatory conditions would not be addressed by surgery. It's a fairly standard procedure.

Yeah, that is what I am unsure of, since I have never had any x-rays or any ENT doc look at it, I really have no clue what is causing the breathing problems through the nose, I think it is just a matter of straightening it out. I'd like to accomplish both the cosmetic goals and improve the breathing at the same time.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You need to have either Plastic or ENT surgeon look at your nose - you'll probably need a set of CT scans and maybe an endoscopic examination. Have a look up your nose and see if the central partition is straight.

Nereis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Correcting a deviated septum is a fairly standard procedure. But for making your nose look 'new' again, you'd have to shop around for a good plastic surgeon.

Zintintin

Reaction score
My mom had it. She came home looking like she was gang beaten. And she was in a GREAT deal of pain for a little bit. But I guess it worked. I just couldn't ever suck it up and let someone smash my nose with a hammer and rod.

Brian SD

Reaction score
My nose is crooked as **** from a kick to the face by a 225 pound dude like 8 years ago. I've been contemplating getting it "fixed," but the post above is why I won't do it. It's a shitload of money and I can't ever see myself caring so deeply about my facial appearance that I'd go through that stretch of pain and inconvenience over it.

Zintintin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
My nose is crooked as **** from a kick to the face by a 225 pound dude like 8 years ago. I've been contemplating getting it "fixed," but the post above is why I won't do it. It's a shitload of money and I can't ever see myself caring so deeply about my facial appearance that I'd go through that stretch of pain and inconvenience over it.

Unless you are like George Costanza's ******** girlfriend and it's unsightly I don't think it could ever be worth it. I can understand if you have this massive bird beak hanging off your face and it's costing you jobs and social life but otherwise it can't be worth it to change something nobody is going to see unless they really pay attention, and even then it's not like it's anything bad.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
An ENT who is a certified plastic surgeon probably is the best option. If it's a septorhinoplasty, meaning a septoplasty is done at the same time (presumably part of the breathing problems are due to a deviated septum, but an examination plus an MRI or other scan would be needed first), the effective cost of the cosmetic portion might be reduced. In recent years, methods have much improved so that swelling and bruising aren't so bad. If a surgeon would be using packing, he or she probably isn't using modern methods and should be avoided.

gwydion

Reaction score
I broke my nose about 4-5 years ago in a fight and just had my surgery about 2 months ago(deviated septum). Coming out of the surgery, I looked like I got the **** kicked out of me by Mike Tyson. I wasn't able to open one of my eyes, it was all swollen and the constant bleeding drove me crazy. After 4-5 days it was all gone besides for the irritation in my nose.

They straightened out my nose and fixed the "dent" i had but now, I have a small bump on the side of my nose..a bone. If anyone is thinking of doing this for purely cosmetic reasons...don't do it. You never know how it'll turn out. One of my moms friends went in for the same surgery about 2 weeks after me and from her nose become noticeably bigger afterwards.

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD

i disagree, respectfully of course.

If I got kicked in the face and it caused major prolems (even if they were just cosmetic) Id want to fix it. Its not like having a crooked toe - everyone sees your face and Id be super self conscious of it. Id take the time and money and pain to do it.

Of course, hopefully I got some cash outta the guy that did it!

Nomad_K

Reaction score
I had a rhinoplasty to correct some internal damage that was affecting my breathing. You will be sore for a day - few days depending on you (healing), your doctor (skill), and your pain tolerance. You will have cotton swabs etc stuffed up your nose, and you won't be going out for any big nights for a few days.

Was it worth it? I can breath much better, and I have to say I also keep my hands up more often when training Muay Thai now.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you are getting a rhinoplasty only for straightening and not for size reduction, then the nose temporarily will look bigger after the procedure.

Nomad_K

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mensimageconsultant
If you are getting a rhinoplasty only for straightening and not for size reduction, then the nose temporarily will look bigger after the procedure.

Swelling - I forgot to mention that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads