• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Harley of Scotland Shetlands

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to balance out my red and blue Shetlands with some more earth tones. How are the Harleys from Bosie? Love the colors, but the necks seem overly open in some of the pics.

driving glove

Reaction score
I have a Harley one in “mushroom” and really like it. Neck opening appears identical to my O‘Connells shetlands but the latter have a slightly denser weave I think.

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, it took me a year, but I finally did get one. Just arrived, and I'm very impressed. I went with the "fawn" color of the undyed, natural Voe wool, and the color is amazing. It really does look like a natural undyed fabric. Neck is fine and no different than a recent Jamiesons or my two much older Alan Paines.

bdzhjS.jpg

bdzNn9.jpg

TimothyF

Reaction score
If we can open this up to general discussion of the maker:

I don't dispute the quality, and I don't have any tube-knit Scottish sweater from any other maker to compare. But is it me or are Bosie/Harley pill monsters? I have 4-ply shetland and geelong, which all started pill balls in the first year of wear (now on third). Compared to my hand-me-down Pringles and Alan Paines (cashmere and lambswool) which hardly pill. Heck even cheapo Uniqlo lambswool barely pills, on its 5th year.

I handwash my sweaters each year in spring

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
If we can open this up to general discussion of the maker:

I don't dispute the quality, and I don't have any tube-knit Scottish sweater from any other maker to compare. But is it me or are Bosie/Harley pill monsters? I have 4-ply shetland and geelong, which all started pill balls in the first year of wear (now on third). Compared to my hand-me-down Pringles and Alan Paines (cashmere and lambswool) which hardly pill. Heck even cheapo Uniqlo lambswool barely pills, on its 5th year.

I handwash my sweaters each year in spring

Sweaters pill a lot at first and less over time. Old sweaters will pill the least.

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sweaters pill a lot at first and less over time. Old sweaters will pill the least.
I’m sure that you’re correct as my experience with shetlands is limited to only Laurence Odie fka Laurence J. Smith who white-labels for a few retailers. The ones I purchased from Cilento in Naples are awesome and have shown almost no pilling.

TimothyF

Reaction score

Interesting; I didn't pay attention to this aspect. That could be a big part of it.

However it would not explain the difference between the Uniqlo and the Bosie, as I have been able to observe both throughout their life.

I think in addition it has to do with how tightly the fibers are "twisted" when they are made into yarn. I have another vintage chunky Shetland sweater, that feels denser, stiffer, and definitely "scratchier". The Harley on the other hand is light, soft enough to be worn against skin, and loose both in knit and (I suspect in the yarn).

I just think modern tastes may have forced makers like Harley to select yarns that are soft, "fluffed up", lighter, and less twisted. The con is that they are less sturdy and more prone to pilling. I'm not textiles expert, but this makes sense to me.

Last edited:

msimon

Reaction score
The 4ply mogganers pill for me to, I brush often to keep them looking good. Excuse the feet.
20221028_095710.jpg

TimothyF

Reaction score
The 4ply mogganers pill for me to, I brush often to keep them looking good. Excuse the feet. View attachment 1849643

Thank you for the confirmation. I used to brush regularly too, but it just got to be too much of a chore. With shoes, brushing takes 15 seconds, but with sweaters we need to be more careful. And the area is much greater (and double if the insides get brushed too). Now my sweaters get brushed before washing, that's all, and shaked in the area before wearing.

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
I’m sure that you’re correct as my experience with shetlands is limited to only Laurence Odie fka Laurence J. Smith who white-labels for a few retailers. The ones I purchased from Cilento in Naples are awesome and have shown almost no pilling.

I have Odies aplenty. They pill too at first.

Interesting; I didn't pay attention to this aspect. That could be a big part of it.

However it would not explain the difference between the Uniqlo and the Bosie, as I have been able to observe both throughout their life.

I think in addition it has to do with how tightly the fibers are "twisted" when they are made into yarn. I have another vintage chunky Shetland sweater, that feels denser, stiffer, and definitely "scratchier". The Harley on the other hand is light, soft enough to be worn against skin, and loose both in knit and (I suspect in the yarn).

I just think modern tastes may have forced makers like Harley to select yarns that are soft, "fluffed up", lighter, and less twisted. The con is that they are less sturdy and more prone to pilling. I'm not textiles expert, but this makes sense to me.

IDK. Every sweater I have ever had has pilled a good amount at first. Lockie, Odie, Harley, Inis Meain, etc.--doesn't matter. Some may be slightly better than others, but none are perfect.

The 4ply mogganers pill for me to, I brush often to keep them looking good. Excuse the feet. View attachment 1849643

Thank you for the confirmation. I used to brush regularly too, but it just got to be too much of a chore. With shoes, brushing takes 15 seconds, but with sweaters we need to be more careful. And the area is much greater (and double if the insides get brushed too). Now my sweaters get brushed before washing, that's all, and shaked in the area before wearing.

I am pretty sure brushing is quite bad for pilling. To get rid of pilling, you generally want to cut the pill off. I just do this with nail scissors. When you abrade the sweater with a brush, you probably make more fibers come loose (the cause of pilling).

msimon

Reaction score
I have Odies aplenty. They pill too at first.

IDK. Every sweater I have ever had has pilled a good amount at first. Lockie, Odie, Harley, Inis Meain, etc.--doesn't matter. Some may be slightly better than others, but none are perfect.

I am pretty sure brushing is quite bad for pilling. To get rid of pilling, you generally want to cut the pill off. I just do this with nail scissors. When you abrade the sweater with a brush, you probably make more fibers come loose (the cause of pilling).
Without brushing the pile gets bad, like one of those poor shaggy dogs that's been locked out and forgotten about, all knotted and scruffy.

Generally would never brush knitwear, but these magganers are so loose in there yarn it may as well be a shaggy dog.

All my other stuff has never pilled.

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
Without brushing the pile gets bad, like one of those poor shaggy dogs that's been locked out and forgotten about, all knotted and scruffy.

Generally would never brush knitwear, but these magganers are so loose in there yarn it may as well be a shaggy dog.

All my other stuff has never pilled.

Cut them off. Don't brush. I have thick Harleys too, and they have been fine on the pilling front after the first few months.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Paul_L