• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

hardwearing smartish trousers for backpacking

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You need something from REI, MEC, or some similar store. Fashion is a minimal concern here.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by unjung
You need something from REI, MEC, or some similar store. Fashion is a minimal concern here.

Yeah, they don't have to be stylin' but if I am expecting some serious cold, climbing or similar I have the specific kit for that, I have fleece lined, waterproofs quick drying lightweight stuff for serious heat, I just need a pair of trousers for everyday walking around all day, taking developing nation standard public transport and so on, just a little tougher than I would be happy putting standard chino's through, but that with a shirt unrolled from the bottom of my bag will just about carry me into a bar or restaurant.

I found some duck trousers on one of the sites recommended which appeals to the old school in me, so I might get them and look into some of the poly blend stuff for next time I am somewhere really hot.

Everyone seems worried that I am going to plunge of into the wilderness in some cotton slacks, I have spent a fair bit of time travelling and haven't, to the best of my knowledge, died yet.
I just haven't been able to find anything in between the chinos and the rip-stop thermal lined 8 pocket cougar repelling survival trousers, but it looks like I have some good options now.

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear Prana pants when hiking. Not so fashionable, but they are great for hiking. I have some cotton duck pairs that are 5 or 6 years old, and some nylon blend stuff.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Filson pants seem to be what you're after. They make both wool and cotton pants that work well in the field and on the street.

It appears you are knowledgeable about what you do so you know the inherit benefits and downfalls of different fabrics in the field. Personally I wear technical synthetics when it's hot out and wool any other time. Cotton is my last choice unless it's just a casual day jaunt.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads