• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hangers!

stuffedsuperdud

Reaction score
Plastic for the win. Better for travel, cheaper and don’t need to worry about their breaking apart, unlike the many wooden ones that are just pieces glued together in a shoddy workshop in China which is where KA stuff is made. If you buy actual “gold standard” it would have to be Nakata hangers that are made in japan and constructed from a single block of wood.

All this talk of $30 hangers has me wondering how I can better throw money into the bottomless nightmare that is our sartorial prison....and...I think for my next project I'm going to try to get on the CNC and mill some wide shouldered hangers out of aluminum. Should be a massive strength to weight ratio compared to blocks of wood and still cheaper than the absurd prices some of the vendors in this thread want, even with mill time and my nonexistent economies of scale. Heck, might even have enough $$ left over to get drunk and high while operating the heavy machinery.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All this talk of $30 hangers has me wondering how I can better throw money into the bottomless nightmare that is our sartorial prison....and...I think for my next project I'm going to try to get on the CNC and mill some wide shouldered hangers out of aluminum. Should be a massive strength to weight ratio compared to blocks of wood and still cheaper than the absurd prices some of the vendors in this thread want, even with mill time and my nonexistent economies of scale. Heck, might even have enough $$ left over to get drunk and high while operating the heavy machinery.
Do the plastic ones from the tailor work? Sure. But I also like the uniformity of being able to walk into my closet and have everything match when I look at my clothes, YMMV.

On the other hand I think it was Andy who pointed out the hangers are something like a couple percent of what a suit will cost. I can fill my entire closet with hangers for less than an off the rack sport coat. I mean we are talking less than a set of shoe trees. Less than a pocket square, less than a pair of socks. My suits and hangers will last much longer than a pair of socks.

As a practical consideration I just dropped my first bespoke suit off to have some alterations done because I gained some weight. I checked the pocket to confirm when it was made. May 2006. It has spent 99% of its life on a hanger. I’m not sure what the cost per day being hung up is but $30 over the course of some 5,000 odd days seems even more minor.

dukenukem4ever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if you want "artisanal, small-bat
but cedar wood repels moths!

bigbrother690

Reaction score
Update: I think the Skolyx ones, both the suit and shirt variety, in cedar look like an amazing bargain and my way to go! My only mild concern is the trouser bar on these:

I can't imagine those teeth, nearly regardless of what material they're made of, could be good for extended pressure on fine fabrics. Thoughts (especially for those who own these)?

Until I move into my new apartment and know exactly how much closet space I'll have, though, I've opted for an easy solution that was comically staring me in the face:

I bought a bunch of the aforementioned IKEA hangers and the plastic sleeve add-ons that give them wide shoulders. I had only used the hangers, bare, and was dismayed with the rough texture. Well, duh, if I use the plastic sleeves, bye-bye texture problem! So I just use these bare for shirts or trousers (texture not really an issue) and the intended sleeves for jackets. Inelegant and whatnot, but cheap as hell and will do me fine until I move and buy, most likely, the Skolyx.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kirby has a good product.

I would also throw in:

Tiny bit pricier, but I would argue better looking, w/ a better design where the trouser bar meets the hanger. I wish I were cool enough to buy the Rosewood ones (I am not - too much $$).

Shipping cost is high. What a shame.

HistoryBuff1812

Reaction score
Kirby has a good product.

I would also throw in:

Tiny bit pricier, but I would argue better looking, w/ a better design where the trouser bar meets the hanger. I wish I were cool enough to buy the Rosewood ones (I am not - too much $$).

I second the Butler luxury hangars, well-priced and look/feel substantial.

Verve

Reaction score
If not Kirby when he has sales, Container Store would be significantly cheaper though not as nice, but nice enough. The only problem is that half of the stock were not smooth, so I would rather choose in person if you have a store near you.

prof.contingency

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Thanks for the plug here on our Japanese-made Nakata hangers!

It looks like there's already a number of good options in this thread. I think, the considerations of craftsmanship, personalisation, origin, price, and accessibility are very person-specific. Different people care about different things.

So, he only thing I'll add is to make sure that you get the appropriately sized hanger and shape for a specific task. Makes that cater specifically for menswear will do this kinda thing well -- and offer different sizes, trouser bar options, et cetera. For example, items that are prone to localised stretching like leather jackets and some loosely woven items require more support than less.

Bayou Tiger

Reaction score
Thanks for the plug here on our Japanese-made Nakata hangers!

It looks like there's already a number of good options in this thread. I think, the considerations of craftsmanship, personalisation, origin, price, and accessibility are very person-specific. Different people care about different things.

So, he only thing I'll add is to make sure that you get the appropriately sized hanger and shape for a specific task. Makes that cater specifically for menswear will do this kinda thing well -- and offer different sizes, trouser bar options, et cetera. For example, items that are prone to localised stretching like leather jackets and some loosely woven items require more support than less.
Those hangers look excellent. The trouser hangers are exactly what I have been wanting to buy over the years but never saw those. I will buy some for sure.

Butler Luxury (love the suit hangers) has a different style of trouser hangers that don't resonate with me, so I have been biding my time with container store trouser hangers waiting for the right ones to appear. It looks like Arterton is it!

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elstir2024