• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hang up the suit jacket when I get to work?

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
I keep my jacket on throughout the day at my desk. I really dislike the shirt and tie but no jacket look. It looks very half hearted and unfinished to me.

Yeah, but you're a stuffy old turd.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by GBR
Whilst I would NOT trust it to cloak room staff as a principle take it off it you feel comfortable and it is appropriate for the place and the people you are with.

There is too much rigidity in old fashioned dos and dont's. Circumstances dictate.

Well said, sir! I couldn't agree more.

sdsurfer

Reaction score
Ok great. I will take my coat off at the job. Follow up question is it too tacky to hang the coat up and cover it (with say plastic like from the cleaners, etc.)?

kdsvs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sdsurfer
Ok great. I will take my coat off at the job. Follow up question is it too tacky to hang the coat up and cover it (with say plastic like from the cleaners, etc.)?

Whoa...that would seem extremely fussy.

royal618

Reaction score

In a closet perhaps?

sdsurfer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by royal618
In a closet perhaps?

I'm in a pretty modern designed studio office space so no closet by me. I'm almost wondering do I need to leave a hanger at work and in my car from now on? I'll put on my jacket when I leave the office for lunch but when I get in my car I wish it was off again (I live in Southern California so it's warm all year here). Makes me almost think what's the point!

kdsvs

Reaction score
I'm in a pretty modern designed studio office space so no closet by me. I'm almost wondering do I need to leave a hanger at work and in my car from now on? I'll put on my jacket when I leave the office for lunch but when I get in my car I wish it was off again (I live in Southern California so it's warm all year here). Makes me almost think what's the point!

In warm weather, the jacket is decorative, not functional. If I were you, I'd probably just leave a blazer/jacket for those times when a jacket is needed (client meeting, etc.) instead of carrying it back and forth without really wearing it.

dressed2kill

Reaction score
When I'm at work I'm always wearing my jacket, but I'm always standing. As for dinner you just put a bib over your neck and nothing will happen to the jacket.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dressed2kill
As for dinner you just put a bib over your neck and nothing will happen to the jacket.

Or you can just use utensils and make sure you take your bites of food over the plate. And also try to avoid food that has a tendency to roll - such as peas, meatballs, etc.

dressed2kill

Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
Or you can just use utensils and make sure you take your bites of food over the plate. And also try to avoid food that has a tendency to roll - such as peas, meatballs, etc.

Common sense must be a foreign concept to me.

seok

Reaction score
everyone at the office i used to work in hung up their jacket at work. this was a business formal environment.

there are certain restaurants that require jackets-on.

however, i largely agree with some members' sentiments that oftentimes, rules are what the mass creates through their actions...

dressed2kill

Reaction score
Funny its in Boston. When I was In Boston the people that were wearing suits all looked like low level politicans. Not to mention their shoes were many times penny loafers or plain oxfoards. A very stylish shoes for that city. Well any city nowadays that quality would be rarely seen.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dressed2kill
Funny its in Boston. When I was In Boston the people that were wearing suits all looked like low level politicans. Not to mention their shoes were many times penny loafers or plain oxfoards. A very stylish shoes for that city. Well any city nowadays that quality would be rarely seen.

Huh?
confused.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads