Hang up the suit jacket when I get to work?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by sdsurfer, May 22, 2006.

1. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

I keep my jacket on throughout the day at my desk. I really dislike the shirt and tie but no jacket look. It looks very half hearted and unfinished to me.

Yeah, but you're a stuffy old turd.[​IMG]

Whilst I would NOT trust it to cloak room staff as a principle take it off it you feel comfortable and it is appropriate for the place and the people you are with.

There is too much rigidity in old fashioned dos and dont's. Circumstances dictate.

Well said, sir! I couldn't agree more.

2. sdsurfer

sdsurfer Active Member

Ok great. I will take my coat off at the job. Follow up question is it too tacky to hang the coat up and cover it (with say plastic like from the cleaners, etc.)?

3. kdsvs

kdsvs Active Member

Ok great. I will take my coat off at the job. Follow up question is it too tacky to hang the coat up and cover it (with say plastic like from the cleaners, etc.)?

Whoa...that would seem extremely fussy.

4. royal618

royal618 Senior member

In a closet perhaps?

5. sdsurfer

sdsurfer Active Member

In a closet perhaps?

I'm in a pretty modern designed studio office space so no closet by me. I'm almost wondering do I need to leave a hanger at work and in my car from now on? I'll put on my jacket when I leave the office for lunch but when I get in my car I wish it was off again (I live in Southern California so it's warm all year here). Makes me almost think what's the point!

6. kdsvs

kdsvs Active Member

I'm in a pretty modern designed studio office space so no closet by me. I'm almost wondering do I need to leave a hanger at work and in my car from now on? I'll put on my jacket when I leave the office for lunch but when I get in my car I wish it was off again (I live in Southern California so it's warm all year here). Makes me almost think what's the point!

In warm weather, the jacket is decorative, not functional. If I were you, I'd probably just leave a blazer/jacket for those times when a jacket is needed (client meeting, etc.) instead of carrying it back and forth without really wearing it.

7. dressed2kill

dressed2kill Senior member

When I'm at work I'm always wearing my jacket, but I'm always standing. As for dinner you just put a bib over your neck and nothing will happen to the jacket.

8. teddieriley

teddieriley Senior member

As for dinner you just put a bib over your neck and nothing will happen to the jacket.

Or you can just use utensils and make sure you take your bites of food over the plate. And also try to avoid food that has a tendency to roll - such as peas, meatballs, etc.

9. dressed2kill

Or you can just use utensils and make sure you take your bites of food over the plate. And also try to avoid food that has a tendency to roll - such as peas, meatballs, etc.

Common sense must be a foreign concept to me.

10. seok

seok Senior member

everyone at the office i used to work in hung up their jacket at work. this was a business formal environment.

there are certain restaurants that require jackets-on.

however, i largely agree with some members' sentiments that oftentimes, rules are what the mass creates through their actions...

11. dressed2kill

Funny its in Boston. When I was In Boston the people that were wearing suits all looked like low level politicans. Not to mention their shoes were many times penny loafers or plain oxfoards. A very stylish shoes for that city. Well any city nowadays that quality would be rarely seen.

12. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

Funny its in Boston. When I was In Boston the people that were wearing suits all looked like low level politicans. Not to mention their shoes were many times penny loafers or plain oxfoards. A very stylish shoes for that city. Well any city nowadays that quality would be rarely seen.

Huh? [​IMG]

13. dressed2kill

just my personal observation.

14. Kid609

Kid609 Senior member

I hang up my jacket and so should you.

15. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

I hang up my jacket and so should you.
    haha well put [​IMG]