• Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

    Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear and fashion.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Hang up the suit jacket when I get to work?

sdsurfer

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 20, 2006
Messages
48
Reaction score
1
I started a new job and wear suits to the office. One question that popped up in my mind was is it ok etiquette to take off and hung up my jacket once I get to my work station? I would think so, but want to confirm.
 

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Mar 10, 2006
Messages
6,808
Reaction score
780
Originally Posted by sdsurfer
I started a new job and wear suits to the office. One question that popped up in my mind was is it ok etiquette to take off and hung up my jacket once I get to my work station? I would think so, but want to confirm.

Absolutely. I work in a formal environment and even the CEO takes his coat off. No one wears a jacket at their desk.
 

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 10, 2006
Messages
4,078
Reaction score
17
My jacket comes off first thing and I don't put it back on unless I have visitors or I leave the floor/building.
 

Flame

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 10, 2006
Messages
1,700
Reaction score
56
Dos this apply at resturants too? Because I'm the only one in my group of friends who leave my jacket in the cloakroom before we are seated. I don't like any table mishaps falling onto attire.
 

cpac

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2005
Messages
206
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by Flame
Dos this apply at resturants too? Because I'm the only one in my group of friends who leave my jacket in the cloakroom before we are seated. I don't like any table mishaps falling onto attire.

No.

You should absolutely keep you suit jacket on while dining.
 

Flame

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 10, 2006
Messages
1,700
Reaction score
56
Yikes. Guess I'm not so well-versed as I thought. Although the idea of wine stains bother the heck out of me.
 

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Mar 10, 2006
Messages
6,808
Reaction score
780
Originally Posted by cpac
No.

You should absolutely keep you suit jacket on while dining.


What he said^^!
 

cpac

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2005
Messages
206
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by Flame
Yikes. Guess I'm not so well-versed as I thought. Although the idea of wine stains bother the heck out of me.

Stains bother everyone - the solution? Don't spill.
 

GBR

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 15, 2006
Messages
8,552
Reaction score
723
Originally Posted by Flame
Dos this apply at resturants too? Because I'm the only one in my group of friends who leave my jacket in the cloakroom before we are seated. I don't like any table mishaps falling onto attire.


Whilst I would NOT trust it to cloak room staff as a principle take it off it you feel comfortable and it is appropriate for the place and the people you are with.

There is too much rigidity in old fashioned dos and dont's. Circumstances dictate.
 

cpac

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2005
Messages
206
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by GBR
Whilst I would NOT trust it to cloak room staff as a principle take it off it you feel comfortable and it is appropriate for the place and the people you are with.

If the restaurant is nice enough to have a coat check, it's appropriate to keep you suit coat on while dining.

If you're just going down to the corner deli, taking the jacket off might be excusable.
 

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Joined
Aug 7, 2004
Messages
8,775
Reaction score
485
I keep my jacket on throughout the day at my desk. I really dislike the shirt and tie but no jacket look. It looks very half hearted and unfinished to me.

I was in the top restaurant in our neck of the woods a year or two back with my wife. I noticed that most of the men had taken off their jackets. I just felt like giving them a good cudgelling!
 

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Oct 6, 2004
Messages
7,038
Reaction score
1,205
Your office is your business, unless there are some serious folkways established about not removing jackets.

Dining out is another issue. Unless it's very hot or informal or both, leave the jacket on.
 

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 12, 2003
Messages
2,748
Reaction score
31
Originally Posted by JLibourel
I was in the top restaurant in our neck of the woods a year or two back with my wife. I noticed that most of the men had taken off their jackets. I just felt like giving them a good cudgelling!


Jan, considering your line of work, your fellow diners should consider themselves fortunate that a cudgel was the only weapon you thought of brandishing.
 

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Joined
Feb 17, 2002
Messages
14,912
Reaction score
101
Didn't you know? Fused garments are bad for the digestion.
 

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 9, 2006
Messages
6,323
Reaction score
5
Originally Posted by j
Didn't you know? Fused garments are bad for the digestion.

Ladies & gentlemen, here we see the unfortunate results of fused suits. Friends don't let friends get fused suits!


 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Favorite knitwear under jackets/sport coats

  • Crewneck sweater

  • Turtleneck sweater

  • Long-sleeve polo

  • Vest

  • I don't like knitwear worn with jackets/sport coats


Results are only viewable after voting.

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
454,310
Messages
9,839,461
Members
205,246
Latest member
Jauregui7
Top