1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Hang up the suit jacket when I get to work?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by sdsurfer, May 22, 2006.

1. sdsurfer

sdsurfer Active Member

I started a new job and wear suits to the office. One question that popped up in my mind was is it ok etiquette to take off and hung up my jacket once I get to my work station? I would think so, but want to confirm.

2. aportnoy

aportnoy Senior member Dubiously Honored

I started a new job and wear suits to the office. One question that popped up in my mind was is it ok etiquette to take off and hung up my jacket once I get to my work station? I would think so, but want to confirm.

Absolutely. I work in a formal environment and even the CEO takes his coat off. No one wears a jacket at their desk.

3. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

My jacket comes off first thing and I don't put it back on unless I have visitors or I leave the floor/building.

4. Flame

Flame Senior member

Dos this apply at resturants too? Because I'm the only one in my group of friends who leave my jacket in the cloakroom before we are seated. I don't like any table mishaps falling onto attire.

5. cpac

cpac Senior member

Dos this apply at resturants too? Because I'm the only one in my group of friends who leave my jacket in the cloakroom before we are seated. I don't like any table mishaps falling onto attire.

No.

You should absolutely keep you suit jacket on while dining.

6. Flame

Flame Senior member

Yikes. Guess I'm not so well-versed as I thought. Although the idea of wine stains bother the heck out of me.

7. aportnoy

aportnoy Senior member Dubiously Honored

No.

You should absolutely keep you suit jacket on while dining.

What he said^^!

8. cpac

cpac Senior member

Yikes. Guess I'm not so well-versed as I thought. Although the idea of wine stains bother the heck out of me.

Stains bother everyone - the solution? Don't spill.

9. GBR

GBR Senior member

Whilst I would NOT trust it to cloak room staff as a principle take it off it you feel comfortable and it is appropriate for the place and the people you are with.

There is too much rigidity in old fashioned dos and dont's. Circumstances dictate.

10. cpac

cpac Senior member

Whilst I would NOT trust it to cloak room staff as a principle take it off it you feel comfortable and it is appropriate for the place and the people you are with.

If the restaurant is nice enough to have a coat check, it's appropriate to keep you suit coat on while dining.

If you're just going down to the corner deli, taking the jacket off might be excusable.

11. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

I keep my jacket on throughout the day at my desk. I really dislike the shirt and tie but no jacket look. It looks very half hearted and unfinished to me.

I was in the top restaurant in our neck of the woods a year or two back with my wife. I noticed that most of the men had taken off their jackets. I just felt like giving them a good cudgelling![​IMG]

12. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

Your office is your business, unless there are some serious folkways established about not removing jackets.

Dining out is another issue. Unless it's very hot or informal or both, leave the jacket on.

13. Vintage Gent

Vintage Gent Senior member

I was in the top restaurant in our neck of the woods a year or two back with my wife. I noticed that most of the men had taken off their jackets. I just felt like giving them a good cudgelling![​IMG]

Jan, considering your line of work, your fellow diners should consider themselves fortunate that a cudgel was the only weapon you thought of brandishing. [​IMG]

14. j

j Senior member Admin

Didn't you know? Fused garments are bad for the digestion.

15. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

Didn't you know? Fused garments are bad for the digestion.

Ladies & gentlemen, here we see the unfortunate results of fused suits. Friends don't let friends get fused suits!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

I keep my jacket on throughout the day at my desk. I really dislike the shirt and tie but no jacket look. It looks very half hearted and unfinished to me.

Yeah, but you're a stuffy old turd.[​IMG]

There is too much rigidity in old fashioned dos and dont's. Circumstances dictate.

Well said, sir! I couldn't agree more.

17. sdsurfer

sdsurfer Active Member

Ok great. I will take my coat off at the job. Follow up question is it too tacky to hang the coat up and cover it (with say plastic like from the cleaners, etc.)?

18. kdsvs

kdsvs Active Member

Ok great. I will take my coat off at the job. Follow up question is it too tacky to hang the coat up and cover it (with say plastic like from the cleaners, etc.)?

Whoa...that would seem extremely fussy.

19. royal618

royal618 Senior member

In a closet perhaps?

20. sdsurfer

sdsurfer Active Member

In a closet perhaps?

I'm in a pretty modern designed studio office space so no closet by me. I'm almost wondering do I need to leave a hanger at work and in my car from now on? I'll put on my jacket when I leave the office for lunch but when I get in my car I wish it was off again (I live in Southern California so it's warm all year here). Makes me almost think what's the point!