• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Guys giving me a hard time at work because I wear suits all the time

slickback

Reaction score

Interesting... that will really do it for some people, particularly when you move away from a suit to odd jackets and trousers as well, but I would wonder whether what you're experiencing is good or just better, or how much better it might be.  Still, that seems a good start.

Totally agree with your buttoning the suit buttons thing. Some people just don't know/care. Most people here can't tell the difference between Aldo and ae or poly and wool

Today was a color 8 kind of day:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Wtf is going on in this thread? FWIW, I wear a suit at work when most don't except the mucky muck at the top. It solicits comments sometimes, but **** them, just make sure your performance matches your look and nobody can say a thing.

This one guy showed up who was new and he dressed like a pimp every day. He lasted six months. Many people made these comments like "all show, no go".

P-K-L

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wtf is going on in this thread? FWIW, I wear a suit at work when most don't except the mucky muck at the top. It solicits comments sometimes, but **** them, just make sure your performance matches your look and nobody can say a thing.

This one guy showed up who was new and he dressed like a pimp every day. He lasted six months. Many people made these comments like "all show, no go".

I see it very well with a nice solaro. A panama hat. And with a nice two-tone Gladietor to toe.

C&A

Reaction score

I see it very well with a nice solaro. A panama hat. And with a nice two-tone Gladietor to toe.

Complimenti really
For your taste
Gladiator really
Special you get
Them from the
Maestro?
Thank you to
My customer-friend

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Quite right. Its funny, but I can be sometimes underestimated because of my clothing, as if people think I am compensating for lack of ability. What they don't realize is the clothing is a simple extension of myself that takes me very little actual time or effort.....and with all due respect to the detractors, well.... they are "just normal guys".

slickback

Reaction score

In terms of performance reviews, I kick ass...

I think part of it is the some of the mucky muck set bad examples for the rest of the company... Past VP level though and all you see is suits.

Last edited:

coldsalmon

Reaction score
It's times like these that I am glad I am a solo practitioner. I wear suits every day because I am the only lawyer at my firm, and at least one lawyer at my firm should be wearing a suit. People think that lawyers should wear suits, and I want to look like a lawyer because I am the face of my firm for the world. Suits are for situations in which you will be interacting with people with a certain amount of professional distance. By wearing a suit in a large business casual office, you are putting distance between yourself and your colleagues. If this is not justified by your place in the office hierarchy, then you are just distancing yourself for no reason, and that will create ill feelings. That said, there are things you can do to decrease the distance. Here is my one best tip for making friends and having a good life: learn everyone's name and SAY everyone's name, every day. Instead of "Hi," say "Hi Mark." This will make everyone else, and especially you, feel more like a human being. I do this with everyone, and everyone is very friendly to me despite the fact that I am a pretentious bastard in a suit.

size 38R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you get laid? Do they get laid? You will have your answer.

Just try not to look like you were dressed in a shop with loud music. by a guy or girl with excess make-up. nah'mean?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads