Guys giving me a hard time at work because I wear suits all the time

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by slickback, May 11, 2014.

1. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

:crackup:

2. GBR

GBR Senior member

You have got it wrong. If the dress is business casual then join it and don't pretend that you are the President by wearing a suit. You are telling your colleagues that you are superior and they are stupid - never likely to endear you.

3. Chopper88

Chopper88 Senior member

You guys crack me up [​IMG]

Ontopic:
    What is it exactly that co workers say to you that makes you feel this way? We have no idea on what remarks you get, and how they mean it, and how you interpret it.

I'd just accept that overdressing isn't the way to go. Surely you can dress the way you like, but you've just got to accept that when you're new somewhere, and you start right away by doing everything differently from the rest, they won't accept you. Maybe they'll even dislike you, and they'll promote every one of your coworkers before you, because he (or she) doesn't show up dressed like a monkey.

I'm not saying you're a monkey, but this is just how people feel. Where I work, no one wears a suit, I've heard countless jokes on suits, and that most are proud they don't even have one. I do tell them I like to wear somewhat formal attire and that it makes me feel good, but I do not wear this at the office when everyone tells me they dislike suits. It's just like buying a Ferrari and going to all sorts of corporate meetings. You're just going to be the guy 'that always has to do everything different from the rest'. Even though you drive a fair percentage of the population's dream car.

PS:
    You're 24, thinking about what to wear to become the CEO, that's just a very wrong mindset to go to work with. You're going to end up with a burnout in your 30s because you've already worked for a whole 10 years and they still haven't made you the CEO.

4. suited

suited Senior member

No.

It's about personality. If you are well liked, it won't matter that you dress better than your coworkers. The two are not mutually exclusive. If the overwhelming majority of your coworkers are giving you shit, it has very little to do with your clothing. Trust me.

5. Chopper88

Chopper88 Senior member

True, it might not be about dressing better or worse, but might be about the fact that he tends to stand out on multiple points. If he gets stepped on his toes easily when someone says something about it, he shouldn't want to stand out all the time. You provoke (not necessarily in a negative way) reactions by standing out, if you can't deal with the response you're receiving, you get shit. When someone says something snarky to me, I just respond in a very kind manner, so they'll look like an asshole instead of me.
    In offices there's always some form trolling going on, you just need to know when and how to respond, and return the favour without actually causing trouble with anyone.

Not directed at the above post:

With all this non work related nonsense, some people seem to forget that at the end of the day, you're there to work and resolve problems together, instead of the main purpose being running a competition against your coworkers on all sorts of non work related bullshit. If that is what is going on, the company is rotten and your superior does something wrong in the long haul.

Of course I don't know TS, hence I asked for what they are telling him. But it sounds like he wants to be the best dressed man on the floor, but isn't getting the response he favoured/expected.

6. C&A

C&A Senior member

I see the solaro
    With contrasting
    Slots all rimmed
    By hand of
    Beau brummel
    He does great
    Rimjob more
    Than 100 years ago

7. CousinDonuts

CousinDonuts Senior member

now we are talking about rimjobs? My this has taken a turn for the worse....

8. slickback

slickback Active Member

I was recruited from my university to be in a rotational program which develops future leaders of the company.

Sometimes the distance can be an advantage for me so people don't mistake me for the entry level idiot who you give all the boring work to.

Last edited: May 16, 2014

9. C&A

C&A Senior member

Sorry dear
    Thank you very much
    For your kind
    Reply and support
    It was maybe
    Googletranslate
    I will tell you
    More about my
    Buttonhole with
    Hand that has
    Red colour

10. johng70

johng70 Senior member

Yes - whoever said personality and not dress was the heart of the matter - WE HAVE A WINNER!!
    It won't matter how you dress if you are a douche bag people will dislike you. Not just "entry level idiots" but leadership as well. While you might kiss the right asses now - you're also stepping on toes and making enemies. Unfortunately, you're going to have to learn things the hard way. It's a quick trip from "future leader" to "downsized". But, being all of 24 years old you've got it all figured out right?

11. coldsalmon

coldsalmon Senior member

Sounds like there might be something wrong at your company if this is how people think about their support staff.

12. Chopper88

Chopper88 Senior member

I sure hope this guy is just a troll. This is wrong in so many ways... A man who portrays himself like Donald Trump, yet he's asking how to dress because people give him shit.

If you're going to be a superior to anyone, you're going to be the reason good staff jumps ship.

13. TradThrifter

TradThrifter Senior member

Try to fit in with the formality of dress for every occassion. That doesn't mean look like a schlub; Just make sure your clothes fit better, are better quality and are better coordinated than your colleagues. Learn to enjoy all formality of dress.

14. dapperdoctor

dapperdoctor Senior member

By "boring work", I assume you mean THE WORK.

The best bosses are the ones who also actually do the work, understand the work, and know what it is like for the people who are doing it.

It is a terrible manager who sits in his comfortable office looking down on the poor bastards outside, unable to relate to them and unwilling to be associated with them.

The term "lead by example" is so popular for a reason. I would suggest you take a look at your attitude and realize that you are being given an opportunity. Use it to learn all you can at every level. In reality, if you are 24 and are a part of a college outreach program of some sort, the entry-level people are probably more important than you at this point. I'm not saying that you won't rise quickly, but there are many skilled people in the workforce who simply don't desire to be CEO or even management. They generally do the majority of the real work and keep things running.

15. mbishop

mbishop Active Member

I don't know what this means, other than that being able to give a clear answer to a simple question is apparently not a requirement. In which case, you will probably do fine in management.