• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gustin Appreciation Thread

CharlieAngel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Two joggers popped up in my size in the STOCK section this morning, ordered one so I can see if I like the fit.

CharlieAngel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of joggers, I recently received their ripstop fabric version. That's a QC nightmare. I ordered 2, different color for each. What are the chances that BOTH were 2 sizes bigger than the supposed measurements and BOTH elastic waistbands have lost their elasticity or has barely any.

These wouldn't happen to have been a rust and black chambray size L would they? Because I got my L in yesterday and I see similar issues. They're still a tad loose with drawstring fully cinched, the drawstring is a bit short and the ankle opening is too wide by a small amount. It's not enough for me to send back (in fact, wearing them now), but I'd prefer a slightly tighter fit . I'm about to take my daily 3 mile k-town walk around in them to see how they hold up to travel or if I'm going to have to keep pulling them up because I got zero ass.

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These wouldn't happen to have been a rust and black chambray size L would they? Because I got my L in yesterday and I see similar issues. They're still a tad loose with drawstring fully cinched, the drawstring is a bit short and the ankle opening is too wide by a small amount. It's not enough for me to send back (in fact, wearing them now), but I'd prefer a slightly tighter fit . I'm about to take my daily 3 mile k-town walk around in them to see how they hold up to travel or if I'm going to have to keep pulling them up because I got zero ass.
I have a similar issue with my Mack Weldon joggers. Fine if nothing in the pockets, but once I put my two phones, wallet, and keys in they start to slip and I have to tighten them up with the drawstring which was designed with a flaw, because they're a stretchy drawstring.

nyarkies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It was black and olive ripstop. Sorry to hear you have the same issues on different pairs. This is probably more than a qc issue if it also happened with the other joggers produced.

Genericuser1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I ordered a few things recently and I've just been wearing my Greensboro rolled a few times (want to go through the break-in process and wash it at least once before I get them hemmed so I'm not guessing).

Two of my orders have:

We're currently working on lining up the materials and factories for production.

Another two are in step 3 and 4 and one is still funding.

I picked up a 21.5oz denim from Bravestar, not sure I'll go with anything that heavy in the future 15oz would probably be my limit.

Genericuser1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm extremely new to selvedge denim or perhaps it's just better quality denim. In the past most of my jeans were LL Bean, Lands End and Levis. Even though the Gustin's I have are a similar weight there is a completely different feel to the denim. Perhaps that is just due to it being raw as opposed to what you get from standard brands but I find a really like it.

My heavyweight bravestar's seem to be breaking in although that is another completely different feel due to the weight. I swear they could have stood on their own when I first got them.

I may have gone a bit overboard as I have the following ordered:
  • #124 JAPAN STEEL 5 POCKET
  • #94 CONE MILLS OXBLOOD 5 POCKET
  • #159 JAPAN OLIVE
  • #136 JAPAN DOBBY HERRINGBONE 5 POCKET - DOUBLE INDIGO
  • FIELD JACKET - WAXED ARMY GREEN
  • BLACK FRIDAY MYSTERY SELVEDGE APRON

:eek::eek2:

hammerhead_corvette

Reaction score
I'm extremely new to selvedge denim or perhaps it's just better quality denim. In the past most of my jeans were LL Bean, Lands End and Levis. Even though the Gustin's I have are a similar weight there is a completely different feel to the denim. Perhaps that is just due to it being raw as opposed to what you get from standard brands but I find a really like it.

My heavyweight bravestar's seem to be breaking in although that is another completely different feel due to the weight. I swear they could have stood on their own when I first got them.

I may have gone a bit overboard as I have the following ordered:
  • #124 JAPAN STEEL 5 POCKET
  • #94 CONE MILLS OXBLOOD 5 POCKET
  • #159 JAPAN OLIVE
  • #136 JAPAN DOBBY HERRINGBONE 5 POCKET - DOUBLE INDIGO
  • FIELD JACKET - WAXED ARMY GREEN
  • BLACK FRIDAY MYSTERY SELVEDGE APRON

:eek::eek2:
I think everyone goes through a phase of over buying. Once you figure out what works, you realize you have way too much clothing. Then you get rid of some stuff and get more selective about your choices. Have fun.

CharlieAngel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah I had to cancel like 10 over the past few months ( not exaggerating but probably understating) because I realize it’s just getting dumb lol. I’ve got 3 in production plus two joggers. I’m on the verge of canceling the persimmon because it’s been stuck at 99 percent for weeks now.

Genericuser1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah I had to cancel like 10 over the past few months ( not exaggerating but probably understating) because I realize it’s just getting dumb lol. I’ve got 3 in production plus two joggers. I’m on the verge of canceling the persimmon because it’s been stuck at 99 percent for weeks now.
Just means you need to buy two pairs. :)

I've had campaigns that showed only hours left at 50% funded and then it says fully funded under my orders page so I have no idea how they determine when a campaign goes to the next step.

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
…then they go about sourcing materials for more than a month??? Like they didn’t have an idea where to source the unique materials they’re advertising??? Some of these crowdsource companies here feel like a Ponzi situations where the abnormally long delays might actually be attributed to lack of capital (even though you’ve paid already). I don’t get it. Or maybe I do. Getting tired of it though.

hammerhead_corvette

Reaction score
While I don't really purchase Gustin stuff anymore (mostly due to sizing issues) I have only had one order delayed for a long time. Everything else seemed to come in the time they quoted. Maybe it is worse with the pandemic.

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
…then they go about sourcing materials for more than a month??? Like they didn’t have an idea where to source the unique materials they’re advertising??? Some of these crowdsource companies here feel like a Ponzi situations where the abnormally long delays might actually be attributed to lack of capital (even though you’ve paid already). I don’t get it. Or maybe I do. Getting tired of it though.
I noticed that “sourcing of materials” was delayed for an order I had during the pandemic. It obviously was not an issue of not knowing where they were going to buy it. It was probably an issue of that material getting unloaded from a ship, or having enough workers in the logistics chain to keep it moving.

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I noticed that “sourcing of materials” was delayed for an order I had during the pandemic. It obviously was not an issue of not knowing where they were going to buy it. It was probably an issue of that material getting unloaded from a ship, or having enough workers in the logistics chain to keep it moving.
Yeah, I guess there’s maybe some ambiguity with Made in America.

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I guess there’s maybe some ambiguity with Made in America.
The product that I ordered was coming from a Japanese mill. Other products use fabric from American or Italian mills. They are all made in the USA though. I do recall reading that one of the sewing factories had moved at about the same time as my order was in production and there were some unexpected problems due to that and the impact of covid-19.

Where I live, we have factories that are still not working at full production nearly two years after the start of the pandemic. Initially that was due to a state-wide shutdown. But mostly it’s been due to not having enough healthy workers and/or not having enough parts from suppliers. It’s hard to believe things have been disrupted for so long.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads