1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Guide to Wet Shaving

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by MetroStyles, Jun 14, 2006.

1. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Stylish Dinosaur

2. Homme

Homme Distinguished Member

Great article, thanks.

3. odoreater

odoreater Distinguished Member

Yep, I'm going to give it a try. I shave in the shower, so I guess I've been "wet shaving" all along, but I just bought a brush, a safety DE razor and some of that expensive shaving cream, so we'll see how it goes. Thanks Metro.

4. Dmax

Dmax Distinguished Member

5. javyn

javyn Stylish Dinosaur

Yeah, Corey loves to ridicule the shaveforums, yet he gets ALL of the material for his blogs from them. Best to skip the middleman and sign up for the forums; the people there rule. I ought to know, I'm one of them [​IMG]

6. fatherseanfan

fatherseanfan Senior Member

Thanks for posting the link to the article. Does anyone know of stores in Canada where the products recommended (DE razor, good cream, brush, etc.) can be purchased? I don't want to order it from the site listed in the article and have to pay duty.

7. Reggs

Reggs Distinguished Member

Try out the cream The Body Shop. I prefer it to T&H.

8. fatherseanfan

Thanks. I didn't know they even had mens stuff. What about a razor?

9. Reggs

Reggs Distinguished Member

Anything from the Gillette Sensor series, or a DE. People say that Merkur Adjustable is a good razor for someone starting off, though I got a Futur when I started off and the learning curve took a good wile but paid off.

10. nukular

nukular Member

Thanks for posting the link to the article. Does anyone know of stores in Canada where the products recommended (DE razor, good cream, brush, etc.) can be purchased? I don't want to order it from the site listed in the article and have to pay duty.

I believe the website mensessentials.com is a canadian site. They have basically everything you need.

11. fatherseanfan

Wow, great site. Thanks!

12. realman

realman New Member

I recommend these two forums if you want to learn more:

http://www.shavemyface.com

http://www.badgerandblade.com

This is where the author, Corey "don't call me a shavegeek" gets all of his information for the article and his blog.

Those sites are great!

13. aoluffy

aoluffy Senior Member

Could an experienced wet shaver outline if what I'm going to buy is good enough. I've read around the websites and decided I need to buy:

Weishi Razor
    Crabtree & Evelyn Best Badger Brush / Omega 48 or 49 boar
    Blade Sample Pack
    Styptic Pencil

Sadly Weishi Razor isn't available in the UK and ebay are selling them at silly prices so if someone could help me out, it would be much appreciated!

14. javyn

javyn Stylish Dinosaur

Could an experienced wet shaver outline if what I'm going to buy is good enough. I've read around the websites and decided I need to buy:

Weishi Razor
    Crabtree & Evelyn Best Badger Brush / Omega 48 or 49 boar
    Blade Sample Pack
    Styptic Pencil

Sadly Weishi Razor isn't available in the UK and ebay are selling them at silly prices so if someone could help me out, it would be much appreciated!

Weishi is Chinese crap. Why not get a Merkur? No offense to the Chinese obviously, but quality control and precise engineering are two things I don't mind paying a premium for in a razor!

15. godofcoffee

godofcoffee Senior Member

I've always been skeptical about the efficacy of a straight razor shave, having tried it (both myself and with a barber) in the past. I don't see any mechanical reason why it would even be as good as a disposable shave, never mind better. I suspect that we get a better experience going to the barber than shaving at home
    a) because barbers use better brushes, creams and those towel-wrap thingies (all things which clearly DO work)
    b) because people with expensive disposable razor blades tend to use them far past their useful life.
    People might reasonably use those basic Merkur safety razors (although the blades tend to be overpriced: I've always used Derby, and I have no complaints there) or a straight razor to minimize costs, but to say that the shave is better is pushing it.