• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Grey area issue

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
I have an apartment neighbor who lives directly below us (fairly new tenants) who have a tendency to smoke in their balcony right below our balcony almost once or twice an hour after work every single day.

They go out to their balcony, light it up, and the smoke and smell goes through the spacing in between the wood planks of my balcony and up and into our living room where we eat dinner and rest after work.

My wife and I dont smoke, and we respect their decision to smoke and their privacy, but I find it very troubling (more so because my wife finds it very troubling) that they have to smoke like 10-20 times a night, and during these summer nights, we want to keep our balcony sliding glass door (our only opening to fresh air other than our front door or kitchen small window) open for fresh air.
And we constantly find ourselves closing the sliding door everytime they smoke in order to not have the smoke smells come in. It is strong.

I find this violating our space. But at the same time, i see from their shoes, they arent doing anything technically wrong. I dont think i am entitled to ask them not to smoke outside in their balcony.

What would you do, or what have you done in this similar sort of situation?

thanks.

whusurdadi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jump up and down in your apartment or drag furniture around...tell them you'll stop if they stop...

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whusurdadi
Jump up and down in your apartment or drag furniture around...tell them you'll stop if they stop...

i want to be as civil as i can with my neighbors. i dont know them as well.
smile.gif

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'd go to the management and ask them to implement a new building rule. If someone smokes that damn much, then you talking to them directly will not change anything. Go directly somewhere you can actually get something done while maintaining diplomacy.

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
I have an apartment neighbor who lives directly below us (fairly new tenants) who have a tendency to smoke in their balcony right below our balcony almost once or twice an hour after work every single day.

They go out to their balcony, light it up, and the smoke and smell goes through the spacing in between the wood planks of my balcony and up and into our living room where we eat dinner and rest after work.

My wife and I dont smoke, and we respect their decision to smoke and their privacy, but I find it very troubling (more so because my wife finds it very troubling) that they have to smoke like 10-20 times a night, and during these summer nights, we want to keep our balcony sliding glass door (our only opening to fresh air other than our front door or kitchen small window) open for fresh air.
And we constantly find ourselves closing the sliding door everytime they smoke in order to not have the smoke smells come in. It is strong.

I find this violating our space. But at the same time, i see from their shoes, they arent doing anything technically wrong. I dont think i am entitled to ask them not to smoke outside in their balcony.

thanks.

Thats really funny, we call the guy who lives below us the smoking ninja, because he is always outside smoking when we are home. Like a comical 4 pack a day amount. And he is always like hiding in the shadows and stuff, its kinda creepy. But at the same time we have the same problem. if he smokes out back it comes in my office and living room, or if he smokes out front, it comes in the kitchen or the bedroom. Some municipalities have banned smoking in residential units for this very reason (only applies to multifamily housing).

I guess its just one of those annoyances about living in an apartment.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff

thanks.

this is a real *****

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
Can you buy some kind of portable fan and sit it at your sliding door pointed away from the house, maybe? One of those taller stand up portable fans.

i can probably buy one and do that, but not only would it be me going around compromising our living in our home to accomodate their smoking whims, i dont think this would wholly work. it would have to be a larger area-fan; if it is just a small fan im sure bbq, smoke, scents etc that flow in from outside will still get in because of the large area of our screen door.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HORNS
I'd go to the management and ask them to implement a new building rule. If someone smokes that damn much, then you talking to them directly will not change anything. Go directly somewhere you can actually get something done while maintaining diplomacy.

i did, and the management is so busy with 'real' issues, they basically told me to try to deal with it with them personally. basically, take the good with the bad in these types of cases i guess.

Originally Posted by jgold47
Thats really funny, we call the guy who lives below us the smoking ninja, because he is always outside smoking when we are home. Like a comical 4 pack a day amount. And he is always like hiding in the shadows and stuff, its kinda creepy. But at the same time we have the same problem. if he smokes out back it comes in my office and living room, or if he smokes out front, it comes in the kitchen or the bedroom. Some municipalities have banned smoking in residential units for this very reason (only applies to multifamily housing).

I guess its just one of those annoyances about living in an apartment.

im glad (not for you though) that im not the only one. ..hehe. misery loves company.

Originally Posted by globetrotter
this is a real *****

+1

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wait for them to come out on the balcony and then dump a vat of boiling oil on their heads.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads