• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JoeRogan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A commando sole could be added to very nice effect.

I did the same thing and had trouble tracking down their Ludlow shoes.

https://www.styleforum.net/threads/j-crew-ludlow-shoes-alden-make.370921/page-5 Looks like a lot of similar features

Those chukkas and brogue oxfords don't look anything like Grant Stone. This, however, does:

It would seem some of their discontinued styles have been made by the same factory in the past but perhaps their current offerings are not.

Also note that Grant Stone launched in 2016 according to their website. So it makes sense that J Crew stopped carrying those shoes under their house brand around that time and instead adopted Grant Stone.

Never said they were the same as Grant Stone, just the same factory. Grant Stone obviously does their own thing. The Ludlow factory hasn't changed, and has continued to stock and introduce various models well after 2016. In addition, Grant Stone has only been on J. Crew's site for about a year.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Can't really speak to how you're searching so I don't know what you're seeing, but there's definitely Ludlow footwear on the site right now: https://www.jcrew.com/r/search?N=16+10014&Nloc=en&Ntrm=ludlow&crawl=no

They have more makeups than those as well, but they sell out pretty quickly once they go on sale. I picked up some snuff suede chukkas myself for about $75.
Using the jcrew.com search bar, in upper right corner and all I get is suits and trousers, but your link certainly takes one to shoes.....odd but no big deal as I'm not ordering anyway.

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Never said they were the same as Grant Stone, just the same factory. Grant Stone obviously does their own thing. The Ludlow factory hasn't changed, and has continued to stock and introduce various models well after 2016. In addition, Grant Stone has only been on J. Crew's site for about a year.
Never said you were wrong. They may not look similar to GS but it's indeed possible that the factory would make different shoes to a wildly different set of specifications. I don't have experience with J Crew shoes beyond Alden.

On a related note, I do respect that Grant Stone is transparent about their business practices. Sure, they get flack for "made in China", but if someone really want MiUSA they ought to speak with their wallet instead of criticizing companies they don't agree with. For me, it's the ideal intersection of style, quality and price point.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Using the jcrew.com search bar, in upper right corner and all I get is suits and trousers, but your link certainly takes one to shoes.....odd but no big deal as I'm not ordering anyway.
The necessary thing is type in ludlow SHOES, not just ludlow. Found them when I added shoes to the search.

SonnyUte

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know nothing about this brand other than having seen them a long time ago from shoemart and remarking that they looked quite solid considering they were built in China. aeAnonymous recommended them at one point so he might know more about them. As an FYI to people here, there was one point (it was pretty short, for like 2 weeks at most) during the summer (?) where shoemart actually sold these at 199 which I thought was unbelievable. They start at 8D like a lot of stuff out there, so I'm SOL, but in case others are interested.
I bought two pair at that price: A pair of LWB’s and PTB’s. In fact, I wore the LWB’s yesterday. There are nice shoes.

Hotel Cali

Reaction score
Dune Deisel day.

Got some vintage boots from fellow sf member to try on.

1212191823.jpg

1212191825.jpg

1212191828a.jpg

[ /spoiler]

Last edited:

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Hotel Cali

Reaction score
Awesome!!! Dune Diesels were my first GS, and the only ones that the wife has said "I like the color of those" of ANY of my boots, from any company. Vintage boots look good as well, make me think of 1960's Beatles :) I believe GS is going to make Chelsea boots????

Dune Diesel was my GS gateway as well.

Yes, I am looking forward to the GS chelsea and chukka boots.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Dune Diesel was my GS gateway as well.

Yes, I am looking forward to the GS chelsea and chukka boots.
I'm not a Chelsea or chukka guy, so will probably sit those out. But a suede cap toe boot, especially if on the awesome GS leather sole...mmmmmmmmmmmmm.....GS would have my credit card as soon as announced.

ptfly

Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads