• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SonnyUte

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone help me with translating their GS size into other common brands/lasts?
Agree with @audog , I wear the same size (9D) in the GS Leo last that I wear on the Alden Barrie and Trubalance lasts.
I am a 9.5D on Brannock, Alden Plaza and Grant lasts and most AE lasts, including the 65, 511, and 201 lasts. Hope that helps.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Agree with @audog , I wear the same size (9D) in the GS Leo last that I wear on the Alden Barrie and Trubalance lasts.
I am a 9.5D on Brannock, Alden Plaza and Grant lasts and most AE lasts, including the 65, 511, and 201 lasts. Hope that helps.
And I need a 9D in AE 65 last to have a comfortable fit.

Mr.Chest

Reaction score
Just took delivery of my newest pair, crimson cxl captoes. Absolutely stunning. They look so great, I’m very happy with the purchase. The color is really deep and they look likely to be a new daily driver.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just took delivery of my newest pair, crimson cxl captoes. Absolutely stunning. They look so great, I’m very happy with the purchase. The color is really deep and they look likely to be a new daily driver.
I have noticed something that I find interesting, there is another shoe thread here on SF, where regularly people post things like :"Is this a first or should I return it to get seconds pricing?" and then include photos of some defect that got through QC and into the customer's hands as firsts. I haven't seen anything like that on the GS thread, ever. We should be happy and proud that we are the owners of such fine footwear, from a company that cares about it's customer base. Ok, off the soapbox, back to regularly scheduled programming......

bl@ster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just took delivery of these fabulous Saddle Tan PTB’s from the sale. Absolutely gorgeous.

They’ll go great with my sweet new belt and buckle:

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

SonnyUte

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have noticed something that I find interesting, there is another shoe thread here on SF, where regularly people post things like :"Is this a first or should I return it to get seconds pricing?" and then include photos of some defect that got through QC and into the customer's hands as firsts. I haven't seen anything like that on the GS thread, ever. We should be happy and proud that we are the owners of such fine footwear, from a company that cares about it's customer base. Ok, off the soapbox, back to regularly scheduled programming......
Amen

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I decided to exchange my boots for a larger size. I think my toes will be thanking me for years to come.
I should have gone with the 10.5D in the longwings too, sadly they are out of stock now in both black calf and dune CXL.

Where did I mess up? Taking the online fit advisor’s advice without emailing Grant Stone first. There’s a moral here, guys. I don’t think it’s that the fit advisor is bad, but my feet are a little unusual.

In hindsight, I downsized too aggressively (a whole size down from brannock measurement) in an attempt to compensate for my narrow heel and low volume foot. The split reverse welt is pretty unforgiving in the way of accommodating extra toe splay.

I don’t know if I’ve ever seen it mentioned, but the Leo last to me feels like a low volume fit compared to other GYW shoes, especially over the forefoot. This is not a bad thing, but worth considering.

Is there anyone reading who would entertain trading a 10.5D GS shoe/boot for my 10D Dune Longwings?

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So I decided to exchange my boots for a larger size. I think my toes will be thanking me for years to come.
I should have gone with the 10.5D in the longwings too, sadly they are out of stock now in both black calf and dune CXL.

Where did I mess up? Taking the online fit advisor’s advice without emailing Grant Stone first. There’s a moral here, guys. I don’t think it’s that the fit advisor is bad, but my feet are a little unusual.

In hindsight, I downsized too aggressively (a whole size down from brannock measurement) in an attempt to compensate for my narrow heel and low volume foot. The split reverse welt is pretty unforgiving in the way of accommodating extra toe splay.

I don’t know if I’ve ever seen it mentioned, but the Leo last to me feels like a low volume fit compared to other GYW shoes, especially over the forefoot. This is not a bad thing, but worth considering.

Is there anyone reading who would entertain trading a 10.5D GS shoe/boot for my 10D Dune Longwings?
I, too, did the online fit advisor and contacted GS, and got the right size, which in my case, was what the fit advisor said. If I were a 10.5 I'd trade you something, but I have a feeling you won't be able to get into an 8.5D, no matter how hard you try :)

GrantStone

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
it's true, this took me by surprise as well. Ace Marks were my first pair of fine shoes, so when I placed an order with Meermin I figured that size 9UK would be a safe initial bet, but these were just huge. in the end I settled for size 8UK.

Sorry for the slow reply. I believe we are going back and forth on email as well but you mentioned the Meermin sizing here as well which will help. Our best suggestion would be an 8.5D.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So, I'm also on the Filson Bag thread, and posted a pix of a bag I picked up at an estate sale, my GS cap toe boots are in the photo. Someone ask if they were GS, I replied yes. That poster then said this: Yeah, the shape of these are so awkward, they stand out. I don't think they are awkward, I kind of like them....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads